Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Roon

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

R&M
Not Ranked
Posts 3
R&M Posted: Mon, Apr 19 2021 12:01 PM

Hi

i have a Beomaster 5 based system with various B&O speakers in my kitchen, garden room, and dining room.

I would like to roonify my system. I have Roon running on a iMac (running UPnP2LMS) and I can feed it to my TVs in a bedroom and living room, but can’t see how to use the Beomaster. I’ve tried plugging in a cable to SPDIf input via a RPi with a digital output but with no luck.

has anyone tried Roonifying their Beomaster 5, if so how did you manage it?

best

steve

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi steve and welcome.

There is no digital input on a BM5.

The only way to get sound from an external device is to use the USB input and a small converter like the Behringer UCA222 

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

R&M
Not Ranked
Posts 3
R&M replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 7:06 PM

Thanks MM for your quick response.

I can see that I need to do more research as the manual says the SPDIF is an output to speakers. Further the usb connector is for servicing the unit.

But surely the BM5 has a DAC, but as you say it does not have a digital input but I don’t see how the Behringer helps me with Roon.  It’s all very confusing.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Yes, the BM5 has a digital to analog converter solution, but that is for internal processing of the sound.

There is no digital input possibility, but the USB connection.

The BM5 has the drivers for the Behringer UCA installed - once you connect that , you can connect an analog R/L source.

This means, that you will have to use a DAC with your RPi....there are some, that you can install on top of that.

There is a tv - and there is a BV

R&M
Not Ranked
Posts 3
R&M replied on Sat, Jun 26 2021 3:54 PM

Update:

A couple of weeks ago my system consisting of Roon on an iMac with RoPieee into the Beomaster and the RooExtend stopped working. It appeared that Roon could not find any audio zones.

Yesterday I tried to use a behringer UCA202 with the setup. It was plugged in to the Beomaster, but I did not have the phono cables to connect anywhere and the optical output had nowhere to go to either. I just could not figure out how to use it. (Ah should I be using the UCA222?)

Anyway, I had brought an Audiostore music server with me, whose usb was plugged into the Beomaster. Configuring it was simple: the server showed the Beomaster and Roon picked it up as well. I’m not sure how  this happened: was it the sonicorbiter or Roon bridge that was enabled?

My next step was to delete Roon from the iMac and reinstalled Roon server.  All is still working, albeit with a potential cost of needing to buy a server.

Im happy to get Roon back, but now have to purchase an Audiostore server to keep it working. I’m disappointed that I could not get the neither behringer nor RPi to work. Have I missed a cheaper solution to enable the Beomaster with Roon?

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Jun 26 2021 6:01 PM

Connentions:

BM5/BS5 - usb connect - UCA222 - RCAconnect  your iMac (headphone).

Set up the iMac to play Roon and that the RCA-out is chosen.

Select AUX on the BS5 (note: you do have a BM/BS5 system? otherwise the UCA222 will not work)

Switch on the other ML speakers by a local AUX command.

with your devices the cheapest solution to listen to Roon

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jun 26 2021 6:06 PM

I’ve looked into Roon and I must say I can’t understand why it is so successful.

It doesn’t present any advantages and its price scheme is ridiculous.

It presents zero interest as far as I’m concerned.

Or am I missing something?

Jacques

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Jun 26 2021 6:14 PM

chartz:
I’ve looked into Roon and I must say I can’t understand why it is so successful.

It doesn’t present any advantages and its price scheme is ridiculous.

It presents zero interest as far as I’m concerned.

Or am I missing something?

the UI is good, as the sound quality, lots of additional meta data is interesting, but after one and a half years of use  reading the same articles of artist and albums I came to the same conclusion.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Jun 27 2021 3:04 AM
Price-wise indeed on the very pricey side.

It’s very good though and quite unique if you have a large local music collection. Nothing really beats it.

If you’re happy with deezer or spotify, no need for roon.
phult
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Bronze Member
phult replied on Sun, Jun 27 2021 6:00 PM

I have to say Roon is amazing. 

It is ROCK SOLID (if you run it on a Roon Nucleus which I highly recomend). 

I have had two nucleus’s (for 2 different places) and I have restarted them maybe twice in 3 years. 

I airplay to most B&O speakers, Chromecast to one or two (if i never need it to grouped into another zone).

In my opinion B&O should do a deal with them, make their hardware native, and include it in all systems above a certain price. They would save MILLIONS on support issues compared to their horrible B&O app (which I know they have given up on….)

I can’t recommend it enough

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS