Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Semi functioning 8002

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

grandeswag
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
grandeswag Posted: Thu, May 6 2021 3:26 PM

Hi all, I've recently come in possession of a Beogram 8002. I'll start off by saying this is my first foray into any sort of audio restoration. That being said, I've got some "tinkering skills" and am very experienced with soldering.

I'll try my best to explain what's happening with the device. Upon pressing PLAY, the platter spins, tonearm begins to move (red < lit), but stops before reaching the record .I am able to move the tonearm left and right from the buttons, but the right > light never comes on. Movement to the right works intermittently. The tonearm never lowers itself onto the record. The PAUSE and STOP buttons do not appear to do anything. 

I started by going under the hood and cleaning the tonearm rails and the threaded rod. This seemed to improve the movement a bit. As seems to be a common trend, all the double sided tape will need replacing as well. The tonearm area cover is on an extremely stiff hinge, it doesn't feel right.

With the overall sluggish and inconsistent performance, I'm assuming I should start with a capacitor replacement. I'm also wondering if the tone-arm-dropping-solenoid is gummed up. 

All thoughts and tips appreciated.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
This isn’t the best place to start into audio repair hut a fabulous turntable after it is sorted. Take lots of pictures before and during your recap. There are mistakes on the polarity printed on the board, replace caps as they were with the same specs. Lots of opportunities for making things worse. Be mindful of the processor and treat her like the fragile princess that she is.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS