Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4002 Type 5501 with bad waterdamage

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Mellops
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Mellops Posted: Tue, Jun 1 2021 10:44 AM

Hi,

I am eyeballing Beogram record players already for quite some time but never got one because the available ones seemed crazy expensive.

Then two weeks ago I found an offer of a "water damaged" 4002 on eBay. I offered the seller half of what he was asking and to my surprise got the player for 150€.

Since I love restoring old things as I see it a bit as a puzzle for adults its a win win for me. Especially since I am not a collector but just love the look and sound of the Beograms and am rebuilding it for my own use.

After taking it apart I found that the water damage is not a bit of water that ran into it but it must have stayed in water for quite some time.

My first step was to clean everything up. I cleaned the electronic elements with alcohol and sandblasted the inner side of the housing with wallnut. Unfortunately the outer side of the cover is a bit corroded meaning I have to completely repaint it. And this is also what brings me to my first questions:

Did anyone ever print the text and signs (PLAY -----> TRANSP., Made in Denmark *and square* usw.) on foil and transfered it to a newly painted housing? Or is the Black/Silver CD4 OFF Sticker available somewhere?

In terms of the electronics I am replacing all capacitors which is quite easy since they say exactly what they are. Its a bit more tricky for the carbon potentiometers which are pretty rusted away. Can anyone help me what exactly to get here?

I left the title quite vage since I believe I will have a lot more questions to follow after these two so I think its better to keep it on a project level.

Here is a picture how it looked when I opened it up: https://pasteboard.co/K4zyTX2.jpg Not too good :D

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Lucas

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Aug 27 2021 5:59 PM

Please upload photos to the Beoworld server and insert them in your post rather than posting a link to an external server.
It makes for much less cluttered reading and makes preserving information much easier.

Martin 

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Aug 27 2021 11:23 PM

You are in for quite a project! I would start by taking a look at Beogram 4002/4004 Restoration. He provides a wealth of info that you are going to need.

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS