Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 11 connection experience

rated by 0 users
This post has 0 Replies | 0 Followers

TheodoorS
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
TheodoorS Posted: Wed, Jun 23 2021 9:31 PM

Hi,

I searched the forum before buying a secondhand Beolab 11 but failed to find some stuff, so here I share and hopefully save someone some time.

1) input trigger

One way to connect the Beolab 11 to an RCA source would be with a cable from SoundHeavenly:

https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/101-459-singletwin-rca-to-beolab-2-7-10-2500-powered-trigger-kit.html#/2-length-1m

However in my case the trigger signal would need to be switched separetly which would be a hassle. The Beolab 11 subwoofer can be easily used on a Line input (a Beolab 2 cannot!). It does not require a trigger signal but can be set to switch on on the Line connection, even though it is a DIN input only. 

It does require a proper cable as input. I made a cable with RCA plugs on the input end and an 8 pin Din plug on the other. I used a Powerlink 8-wire cable,although I did not need al the wires, the 2 signal channels need to be shielded as well as an additional shield, connected to pin 7 in the plug. On the RCA end all the shields can be connected, I also connected all the shields at the DIN plug to easy cable management althogh I expect they are connected inside the Beolab 11 anyways. For reference I checked with a nice shielded RCA interlink and a RCA to 5pin adapter, that pick up a lot of noise..

Similar experience here: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/18311/159611.aspx#159611

2) output trigger

My Beolab 11 is connected to a set of Beolab 8000. Here I made an RCA line cable connected with a 8 pin DIN plug in the Beolab 11, though I only wired the left, rigth  channel and both shields on pin 2. 

Actually I checked and the Beolab 11 kindly generates a trigger signal on its output when switched on by line itself, so it would also be possible to use standard Powerlink cables to trigger the 8000s instead of Line-in.

3) sound (this you can find reviews easily elsewhere on the forum)

The Beolab 11 is connected to an old Beomaster 3300 which I inhereted from my grandfather, I have listened to this thing all my live.. I recently upgraded with the Beolab 8000 and quickly added the 11. I use an attenuator similar to the offer by SoundsHeavenly to bring the reciever output to line level This works very nice, 

The big plus is that the Beolab 11 produces the low tones but also takes them out of the signal it feeds through. The Beolab 11 is not noticeably at low volume but is clearly present at higher volumes. It seems to take only the very lowest tones from the 8000s but that improves the sound from the 8000. There is much more stereo effect. Before I had some issue with just the 8000 when they where very close to the wall. I am extremely happy with the addition, especially for music with a contrabass in the background :-)

Theo

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS