Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Replacing motherboard in Beomaster5

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 131
Silver Member
bigbruggsy Posted: Mon, Aug 2 2021 8:54 AM

Hi all, Ive replaced the motherboard in the beomaster5 due to some burnt out caps. I have switched the bios chip over from the old motherboard to the new and the system fires up and plays music. But no sound. I think my problem is because of the difference in the 2ghz and 1.5ghz boards and that the fibre optic and coaxial digital out need to be relocated so the motherboard can fit in the case. 

I didnt take these off the new motherboard, but rather drilled some holes in the case and that allowed the motherboard to fit. Do I need to connect the spdif cable from the B&O daughter board to the new motherboard? Maybe this is why i dont have any sound (via masterlink or powerlink)

Thanks

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 131
Silver Member

Just to add,

I dont understand a previous thread comments. See link below.

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/14870.aspx?PageIndex=1

lano replied back in that previous that he............

"I had to pull of the coaxial S/PDIF connector by cutting of the leads/legs (the board will not fit else).

Next I gently pull up the optical S/PDIF connector and cut of the three pins in the back as high up as possible (a connector from the ML bord should be filter on these three pins)."

Does that mean he soldered the optical s/pdif connector on the new motherboard to the old s/pdif connector so that the cable could be used to connect the B&O daughter board?

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 131
Silver Member

After some extra careful reading further in the forum post I referenced to previously. It seems you need to connect the B&O daughter board to the new motherboard with the previous cable. These means you need to cut open the optical s/pdif so that it exposes 3 pins. Its these pins "lano" connected the old cable to. I'll give this a go in the next few days and let you know how I get on.

See previous post comment from "lano"

Hi,

do you mean you need to solder a special connector for the masterlink socket to the 3 pins? In this case did you buy the connector or did you take it from the old board?

Thanks

The only thing I did was pulled the black case of the optical s/pdif of (it takes some force). Then there is some transparent plastic with metal inside that I cut away so I had three pins left (cut as high as possible). On these pins the connector from the ML board fitted.

On the original board there is only three pins (no special connector, just three straight pins). I guess you could move these to the new board if you know how to solder, but that was not needed for me.

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 131
Silver Member

Hi all, I've made some progress but i've also hit a snag. I've cut of the black optic s/pdif connector on the new motherboard and exposed the 3 pins. i think connected the old cable onto these 3 pins (even though the cable has 2 wires?) and connected everything esle up. When I play music I get only sound on the right hand side channel. I've also just recently soldered the cable to the 2 outer wires and I still only get sound on the right hand side. Tomorrow I'll try a spare cable I have lying around and see if that helps. But if any out there has some other ideas I would like to hear from you.

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 131
Silver Member

Success! I replaced the 2 wired s/pdif cable with another one and now I have left and right channels, I guess its damaged? either way my beosound 5 is back and running again. Thanks to the ones that posted before me. Maybe this helps others that come after me?

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Wed, Aug 4 2021 8:34 PM
Well done. Great it works.
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, Aug 8 2021 12:07 AM
bigbruggsy:

Success! ... Maybe this helps others that come after me?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I have a spare 1,5ghz motherboard, which I hope, I will never have to use. But if that will be the case, your informations will be very handy!

Thanks a lot !!!
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS