Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4000: Starting restoration

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

PeteV
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
PeteV Posted: Mon, Aug 9 2021 9:33 PM

Hello all,

I have bought a Beogram 4000 for restoration. It looks pretty good in that it all seems to work correctly, but I will be undertaking the usual restoration process (replace belts, electrolytic capacitors, lubricate, fine tune adjustments as per manual etc.)

I seem to have a very early model as it has none of the changes suggested in the manual for later models (servo belt change, trimmer pot on servo lamp etc.

My first question is about the servo belt - as I have an early model it has the "round" belt and pulleys as can be seen below. The pulleys seem fine, but the manual suggests that on replacement the belt should be replaced with the later triangular belt, together with both pulleys. The later belt is available from Beoparts, but of course the pulleys are not. Any suggestions - does the later belt work with the "round" pulleys? Are triangular pulleys available (I understand someone in the UK machines pulleys from alloy, but these will clearly be triangular, and the motor pulley will still be wrong)

I have been through the forum posts on BG4000 restoration, as well as Beolover's blog posts, but any other suggestions regarding specific issues with the early models would be welcome.

Thanks

Pete

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Aug 9 2021 10:09 PM
Hi Pete,

No idea, but round belts should be readily available. The pulleys appear to be in good condition so perhaps they don’t need replacement at all.

We would like (a lot) more photos though.

This is very frustrating Whistle

Jacques

PeteV
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
PeteV replied on Tue, Aug 10 2021 1:43 PM

Thanks Jacques,

That's what I was wondering.

Regarding photographs, they are coming.......

PeteV
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
PeteV replied on Tue, Aug 10 2021 2:17 PM

So this is the turntable.....

And here is my second problem (purely cosmetic) - there appears to be a varnish protecting the brushed alloy on the lid. Some of the varnish has worn away - can I remove this without removing the writing along with it?

PeteV
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
PeteV replied on Tue, Aug 10 2021 4:20 PM

And here is another question or two:

I understand that later versions of the turntable had an extra capacitor (2.2uf) on the back of the circuit board, in the position shown below:

Does anyone know what this is for, and are there any other, possibly related changes to the schematic? My service manual has a number of changes listed, but this is not one of them.

Also, when taking the turntable apart, there was a rubber arrow-head resting on the red indicator plastic as shown below - where is this normally placed? I found another one lying in the chassis, so it seems there are two of these arrow heads.

Regards

Pete

Beogramcollector
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Gold Member

Hi Pete - will be following with interest as I too have a 4000 which I’ll be starting on soon. 

I think the rubber arrows are aftermarket/home made. My 4000 has a felt collar which helps prevent dust getting under the screen. 

Beogramcollector
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Gold Member

Hi Pete - will be following with interest as I too have a 4000 which I’ll be starting on soon. 

I think the rubber arrows are aftermarket/home made. My 4000 has a felt collar which helps prevent dust getting under the screen. 

Beogramcollector
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Gold Member

Beogramcollector
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Gold Member

And apols for the multiple posts - still learning the nuances of the forum !

PeteV
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
PeteV replied on Tue, Aug 10 2021 8:14 PM

Big Smile

PeteV
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
PeteV replied on Tue, Aug 10 2021 8:23 PM

Not sure if you've seen this, but there is a very comprehensive blog on a BG4000 restoration here: https://beolover.blogspot.com/p/beogram-4000-restoration.html 

Beogramcollector
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Gold Member

Yup - thanks Pete, seen that.

How are you getting on ?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS