Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 8000: Arm not returning

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Leif Posted: Mon, Aug 16 2021 4:17 PM

I have recapped my beogram 8000. I had it working before recapping, but now the arm is not returning. I can start it and play, but at the end of the record it doesn´t return. Once started, I can stop it, but it doesn´t return. Turn/stop works, manual forward works, speed selection works, but manual backward, stop and pause have no effect.

I have been looking for bad soldering, bad connections, testing a few components, but haven´t managed to figure it out yet.

Suggestions are very welcome!

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Aug 16 2021 11:29 PM

First I would carefully check the polarity of your caps as there are multiple functions failing. When you hold do the play button past the lead-in groove keeping it raised does the are come back after going to the center?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Aug 17 2021 6:40 AM

I take it you have tried with several records and not just one?

Could be a weak opto IR sender at the threaded spindle or dust in the opto, causing pulses to be lost.

Martin

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Wed, Aug 18 2021 7:54 PM

Thanks Mark, the arm lowers as expected but does not return after reaching the centre. I can slow-forward it towards  I have checked, double-checked and triple checked the caps, but I guess I have to check them again.

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Wed, Aug 18 2021 7:57 PM

Thanks Martin, yes, the error is persisting. I have tried a lot of things, assembled and tried again. The error is rock-steady.

I havent checked the opto IR sender. Will do that :-)

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Aug 19 2021 11:47 PM

Leif, I was referring to the FF function w/o lowering the arm as it moves to the center in the up position. What happens to the arm when it gets to the center? Does the servo motor simply stop and not reverse or does it continue to try to move the are further left?

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Fri, Aug 20 2021 3:48 PM

Hi Mark, it continues to try to move the arm to the left.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Aug 20 2021 5:22 PM

Is that also the case when you press "PLAY" with no record on the platter?

Does the Beogram scan for a record and not return?

-sonavor

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Aug 22 2021 2:39 AM

I would look at Pin 3 of IC2 as it should be high when you press the return >> key to drive the motor in reverse. If its not showing a positive change, then I would look at C13 as it may be backwards or shorted.

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Sun, Sep 12 2021 10:25 AM

Hi, finally I found time to chase this. IC2/pin 3 in fact doesn´t go high when pressing this button (but pin 5 does when pressing the other button). So far, so good. However there are no C12 or C13 in this version. Instead pin 3 is connected to a tiny PCB through some wires where D7 is supposed to be. So this version has no C12/C13 and one (not two) mini-BCBs. I checked the mini-PCB for bad soldering and burned semicundoctors, but found no errors.

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Sun, Sep 12 2021 10:29 AM

Same thing without a record.

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Sep 12 2021 8:03 PM

What is your 8000’s Type number?

Leif
Not Ranked
Copenhagen
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Leif replied on Tue, Sep 14 2021 1:08 PM

The sticker with the type number is unfortunately gone. However I continued backtracking from IC2/pin3 and found a neat little soldering of my own, which shorted D8 and C19. After re-doing that, it all worked :-) So it´s all a lesson in good soldering practice. It is obviously much easier to make mistakes than finding and correcting them.
Thanks for all the advices :-)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS