Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Eclipse + speaker option

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Alje
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Alje Posted: Mon, Aug 30 2021 11:14 PM

Hi Beoworlders,

I currently own an Eclipse 55 mk1 and although I’m very impressed by the overall performance of the soundcenter, I’m currently looking into my options expanding my setup with a set of Beolab 18’s.

my question however, should I consider adding the Beolab 19 as well or does Eclipse + 18’s deliver enough on bass. Will the 19 be a bit overkill? My livingroom is about 45 sqm with a wooden floor

I normally don’t play music/movies above 50, but I remember hearing the 18’s by themself in the store and felt it was shortcoming in the low end frequency’s. The other option would be to upgrade directly towards beolab 28 as I’m reading some good feedback about them here on the forum. Although that will set me back about double the money.

Also on design I’m not really sure if I fancy them as much as the 18 without the acoustic lenses. Beolab 20 may also be an option however regarding design they look a bit boring to my taste.

Anyway, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

regards Alje

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Aug 30 2021 11:32 PM

That sounds like a decent sized living room to me. As such, you may be in the camp of wanting a BL19 alongside the 18s, if that the way you chose to go.

Alos depends on how much you really desire the low end rumble, and on what types on movies you watch.

I had 18s and a 19 with my BV, although my BV12-65 has a much weaker centre than the Eclipse.

My suspicion is that you will want the 19 - but my advice would be to get the 18s first, and if you need to add some bass, get the 19 afterwards.

That way at least you go down the route of the nicest design (the 18s), with the option of tweaking your overall experience by adding the 19 ex-post.

(I sold my 19s for 1300 GBP 6 months ago, so if cost is steering you away from 28s, there are always options to get a good used 19. They're pretty robust to ve honest, so I wouldnt worry about a used 19)

Alje
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Alje replied on Tue, Aug 31 2021 1:05 AM

Thanks Sandyb for your response.

Indeed I’m leaning towards your suggestion. First get the 18’s, and see how much I will “miss” the 19 in daily use. Not just on the occasional movie night when you really want to wake up the neighborhood. However, if I do find it lacks in low end I may end up regretting not buying the 28 in the first place. Buying a 2nd hand pair of 18+19 will cost around €6-7000, so you get a bit closer to 28 territory. Especially if you compare a new set of 18/19 to 28.
And I do think it’s a much more versatile speaker, it being a stand alone audio system all in one. Perhaps more future-proof as well.
I know, it’s a first world choice dilemma. ;-)

Thanks again, and any other experiences so far in a eclipse + 18/19 vs 28 setup, all advice is appreciated 

Greetings Alje

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts 768
Bronze Member
Fansastic replied on Tue, Aug 31 2021 2:39 PM
Hi, I have 18-19 combo and main “problem” with it for me is that I found it hard to tune it properly. I missed the bass punch at low volumes in music listening as the bass it directed from 18 to 19. You can tweak it a lot with a BV but I felt I couldn’t get a nice round sound from it. Positioning in the room is key for a proper set up and somehow I didn’t get it to set up to full satisfaction.

I would advice the 28, despite they are less pretty and clean designed as the 18/19, they deliver very very good sound, really step up from 18/19.

Especially the bass is way better for my taste. Super full and crisp.

Hope this helps.

BV Harmony 65 / Eclipse 55 / BL 50 / 19 / 18 / BS 2 all brass

BV Horizon 48 / V1 40 / BL 17 / Beoplay S3 all black

V1 / BL 3 / BS Essence MKII / Beoplay A3 all white

BS Moment / BS 3000 / BS 3200 / BL 400 all silver

Headphones / bluetooth speakers / BLC NL-ML / BLGateway

I know…B&O virus has grown on me ! 

Alje
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Alje replied on Tue, Aug 31 2021 9:31 PM

Thanks Fansastic,

Thats good to know. especially since I mostly listen to my music on low to medium volume most of the time. Can you give an impression if you listen to your eclipse combined with only the 18's? Can you tweak the system in such a way that the eclipse takes the role of low end and direct the mids and high towards the 18?

I will try to find a moment to visit the dealer and have a look (and listen) to the 28's. hopefully they have both systems side by side to have a good comparison. Best way to find out is still to listen in person, although a 30 min "test drive" never gives a full picture so you guys' experiences are greatly appreciated 

Thumbs Up

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts 768
Bronze Member
Bass is automatically redirected to the most able speakers by the sound engine in the Eclipse. You can tweak it but the Eclipse and 18’s are comparable regarding bass capacity. Both 18’s and Eclipse are running out of breath around soundlevel 55 ( depending on music type / amount of bass). The sound signature between Eclipse and 18 differs; Eclipse is more clear and 18’s are more “round” sounding.

For music listening I prefer the 18’s only, for movies of course a 3.0 setup with the Eclipse.

Best advise: go listen to the 18’s at your dealer. If you consider buying new 18’s then if feasible go for the 28’s. They are in another league

BV Harmony 65 / Eclipse 55 / BL 50 / 19 / 18 / BS 2 all brass

BV Horizon 48 / V1 40 / BL 17 / Beoplay S3 all black

V1 / BL 3 / BS Essence MKII / Beoplay A3 all white

BS Moment / BS 3000 / BS 3200 / BL 400 all silver

Headphones / bluetooth speakers / BLC NL-ML / BLGateway

I know…B&O virus has grown on me ! 

Alje
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Alje replied on Wed, Sep 1 2021 4:29 PM

Today I had the opportunity to listen to the 18, 19, and 28 coupled to a Harmony at the dealer. My first impression of the 28 was good. Like mentioned before on the forum, they look better in person than on pictures. Although side by side with beolab 18 I still think those are a timeless classic. The tapered base is more to my taste. Especially with smoked wood trim and aluminum housing. 

Soundwise you immediately hear a big difference. without support from beolab 19 they fall short in low end. Combining Harmony soundcenter makes it better, but not until you couple beolab 19 you will enjoy the full range in frequency. Beolab 28 doesn’t need any sub support IMO. They give a complete different sound profile than 18+19. That’s actually quite funny and something I didn’t expect. It is quite bass oriented. So it my not be for everyone. 

I only had time to listen to a couple of songs (eagles and Pink Floyd, not even cd quality) so I may need another listening opportunity with different kind of genres. But to my conclusion for now, I still think beolab 18 and 19 together can give a very good soundstage. To my taste they also look better, but the 28 is more a 21st century system, buying one of them new out of the box the 28 may be a no brainer. Even if they still are €1500 more expensive. But finding a good refurbished deal, than 18+19 may make a very tempting offer, also because I like the more balanced sound profile (not as bass focused) however, roomplacing may be a challenge as Fansastic mentioned in his response.

thanks for the advice so far. Anybody caring to add his/her thoughts I happily hear from you.

Grt Alje

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS