Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 1200 dead right channel

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 Posted: Mon, Sep 20 2021 9:56 AM

Dear all,

I'm working on a BG 1200, got it working all the way except there's no signal in the right channel. I have measured from the DIN plug to the per amp socket, from the pre amp socket to the pick up socket and from the pick up socket all the way to the DIN plug and there's signal all the way. I have tested with several known good pickups and another deck so the issue has been isolated to the 1200, but I'm stuck with no cue about what to look for.

Any ideas?

Peter

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Sep 20 2021 4:19 PM

Have you take a resistance measurement of the two channels while it is playing a record? If one channel is shorted look at the mute switch. If open you have a wiring or connector issue. 

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 replied on Wed, Sep 22 2021 7:21 AM

Thanks Mark, I will give it a try and report back.

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 replied on Thu, Sep 23 2021 10:55 AM

Ok, so I fixed the dead right channel issue. The pass through connection at the pre amp socket was broken, bent it a little and voila. See picture below, it's the one where the cotton bud stick is pointing.

So now there's another issue as well which makes my head spin. I can't get the standby muting working.
The pins a the muting switch all have contact so I'm thinking there's supposed to be short somewhere which is not there. Pics of the mute switch and DIN plug below.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Peter

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Sep 23 2021 11:08 PM

You’re going to have to attack this with an Ohm meter, as simply having physical contact does not guarantee electrical continuity. You should be able to measure ~800 ohms unmuted and a short muted. If the contacts of the mute switch aren’t shorting hot to ground, they should be cleaned with a burnishing tool or equivalent. 

Peter8300
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 65
Bronze Member
Peter8300 replied on Fri, Sep 24 2021 11:43 AM

Thanks Mark,

I'm not very experienced in using an Ohm meter and reading diagrams but I got it fixed nevertheless. I cleaned the contacts of the mute switch with grain 400 paper and bent them a little and that fixed the issue.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS