Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 2000 (2911)

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Svet
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Svet Posted: Sun, Dec 26 2021 11:25 AM

Merry Christmas All! I have recently bought a Beomaster 2000 with Beocord 2000, which at first worked fine. On the second day however it started developing issues the most serious being the fact that once powered there is no sound coming out when the tape deck is playing although all lights are on. Some very distorted sound starts coming out after a few minutes at first very weak, then slowly becoming louder and eventually getting normal. Other issues: the radio stopped working, the minimum sound level is high and does not come down to "0", the minimum CD player level is very high, after a while of playing normally the sound gets distorted and eventually disappears. I believe that the set has been in storage for several years before I bought it. Has anybody encountered similar issues and any advise on what to try to fix?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Dec 26 2021 11:27 AM

Nothing odd here. Bad Philips blue coupling caps, probably, among others.

Get a cap kit from Beoparts and start working!

You will get full instructions too.

Here

You need an attenuator for the CD player, because as such it will saturate the tape/aux input hence the awful distortion.

Oh, and welcome to Beoworld Svet Smile

Jacques

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Dec 26 2021 5:57 PM

Beocord - lack of 8Vref.
Replace the capacitors in the dolby circuit. 2x 220uF.

Martin

Svet
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Svet replied on Sun, Dec 26 2021 7:21 PM

Thank you Martin. It is the receiver that has failed while I think you refer to the Beocord?

Svet
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Svet replied on Sun, Dec 26 2021 7:21 PM

Thank you Martin. It is the receiver that has failed while I think you refer to the Beocord?

Svet
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Svet replied on Sun, Dec 26 2021 7:28 PM

Thank you Jacques. Good advise for a proper job however I was hoping for an advise of the 2-3 most likely capacitors, which might fix the issue without changing the whole lot? Incidentally I have three other B&O receivers, which work fine without interventions although older than the 2000.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Dec 27 2021 4:37 PM

The symptoms can vary quite a bit, even if only a single capacitor fails.
It all depends on the way the capacitor fails; Did it turn resistive? Did it go open circuit?  Did it short?

In situations where two or more capacitors fail at the same time, - which could very likely be what you have, it can often be difficult to diagnose on the bench - and downright impossible from a distance.

Besides, when one or more capacitors in a product have aged to the point of failure, replacing only a few will typically only bring the product to a state where it's merely a matter of time before one or more of the others fail.

Finding a "still working" (for an unrestored type 29xx that would mean sort-of by now) Beomaster of the same age and type to replace it with would bring a very similar situation.

All electrolytic capacitors will fail at some point.

Martin 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Dec 27 2021 5:07 PM

And regarding the Beocord, a constant full VU-deflection and silence on the outputs when play is engaged are exactly the symptoms of the exact capacitors in the Dolby circuit, mentioned higher up.
This is not a problem in the Beomaster.

Martin

Svet
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Svet replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 11:37 AM

Thanks Martin. There is no sound via TP1 (tape) or via TP2 (cd) and then eventually after a while and aome noise the sound comes out. But it can disappear again after 30'. Probably the capacitors in the Beomaster.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS