Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Why B&O over Apple or Sony?

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

simonsj
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
simonsj Posted: Thu, Jan 27 2022 2:59 PM

Just curious :)

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Thu, Jan 27 2022 3:51 PM
For what purpose?

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

simonsj
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
simonsj replied on Thu, Jan 27 2022 10:44 PM

I'm doing a project for school on B&O and am interested in learning what makes them standout among all the other options in the market. Any feedback is helpful!

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
To my mind it is not a choice between B&O and Apple. Apple does not make home hifi speakers or televisions and B&O does not make home computers.

The only competing products they make are headphones, earphones and (for Apple) a single loudspeaker. I guess the B&O equivalent of a HomePod mini might be.a Beosound A1 second gen.

I prefer the sound signature of B&O’s headphones and earphones. I dislike the sound signature of Apple (Beats) headphones and the AirPods don’t sit comfortably for me.

Re. B&O vs Sony, for decades now I have preferred the colour balance of B&O TVs to the unnatural, over-saturated images on Sony TVs. I also dislike plastic remote controls. Plus B&Os TV and hifi systems since c. 1985 have been interoperable using a single (metal) remote control.
simonsj
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
simonsj replied on Thu, Jan 27 2022 11:19 PM

Although their designs are absolutely stunning, what do you think attracted you to B&O products initially? And how in the world do you afford them? haha

simonsj
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
simonsj replied on Thu, Jan 27 2022 11:19 PM

Although their designs are absolutely stunning, what do you think attracted you to B&O products initially? And how in the world do you afford them? haha

BeoCom 1401
Not Ranked
California, USA
Posts 19
Bronze Member

simonsj:

I think you already answered your own question - the design is what attracted many of us to B&O. I'm sure I'm not alone in that I fell in love with B&O when I was a kid, but never owned one of their speakers until I was in my 30s. You afford them because you've worked hard and made enough money to pay what it costs. 

Beolab 17, A9 MK IV (soon to be sold), Stage x2, H95, E8 Sport, A1 V2

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
Posts 383
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 8:23 AM
The first impression is always the appearance, the design. Much of black glass and aluminum. Just my taste. But for me they have much of technical aspects which are innovative sometimes. HX-Pro and the computer controlled calibration for example, or the two way remotes, the tone arms without a handle and no headshell. “Less but better“ is also an expression of Dieter Rams, who designed many things for Braun.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

simonsj:

Couldn’t you say exactly the same for the products that Apple makes - the price tag for a new iPad Pro or the newest iPhone is rather defty IMO.

As for the B&O products, there are many factors there - design/appearance and materials, the build quality (as already mentioned), but also the way these products work seamless together….you can even make 30 year old products (that you still have) work together with the newest products.

Also the fact that you can control all these products (and in many cases - via the PUC solution - also 3rd party products) with one single remote is appealing to a lot of the costumers. HomeAutomation can be integrated in a similar way.

It is the fact that these people have created products that have an overall unified way of working, that makes these product uninique - and that for decades - that draws people to B&O.

These factors may be weightened differently by different costumers, of course.

In a way the same goes for the Apple products. But Apple is basicly a tech company , which you can not compare directly to an A/V company like B&O.

It is well known, that a lot B&O users also prefer the Apple products, and use e.g. an iPad with their B&O setup.

So, it is not one of these over the other - it is mosly a combination of both.

A Sony product on the other hand would hardly fit in there……....unless you - as a B&O costumer - buy e.g. a Sony blu ray player and let it be PUC controlled with your Beovision/Beoremote.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

simonsj:

Couldn’t you say exactly the same for the products that Apple makes - the price tag for a new iPad Pro or the newest iPhone is rather defty IMO.

As for the B&O products, there are many factors there - design/appearance and materials, the build quality (as already mentioned), but also the way these products work seamless together….you can even make 30 year old products (that you still have) work together with the newest products.

Also the fact that you can control all these products (and in many cases - via the PUC solution - also 3rd party products) with one single remote is appealing to a lot of the costumers. HomeAutomation can be integrated in a similar way.

It is the fact that these people have created products that have an overall unified way of working, that makes these product uninique - and that for decades - that draws people to B&O.

These factors may be weightened differently by different costumers, of course.

In a way the same goes for the Apple products. But Apple is basicly a tech company , which you can not compare directly to an A/V company like B&O.

It is well known, that a lot B&O users also prefer the Apple products, and use e.g. an iPad with their B&O setup.

So, it is not one of these over the other - it is mosly a combination of both.

A Sony product on the other hand would hardly fit in there……....unless you - as a B&O costumer - buy e.g. a Sony blu ray player and let it be PUC controlled with your Beovision/Beoremote.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 12:14 PM

Bang & Olufsen:
Design of glass and aluminium, the finish of the aluminium AND the mechanical magic of their products: Sliding glass doors on Beosound 3000, , butterfly wings of the Beocenter 2, the aluminium wheels and levers of a Beosound 5, motorized antennas of Beosound 1 (the old one with the CD player) and Beosound 3. The control wheel of Beosound 1 (the newer Bluetooth/Wifi speaker) etc. Discovering the little secrets of B&O products reveals the knowledge and thought B&O put into developing them. Although it's sometimes sad that they don't communicate all the bells & whistles of their products. There are things many of us discovered by accident and through this forum.
I don't know any other audio video company that allows backward compatibility for legacy devices over decades! I really appreciate, like and support that!
They (started to) listen to their customers, too.

Apple:
I belong to the minority that chooses Sony over Apple.
What is great from Apple:- iPad. For me the only really great product is the iPad. It's somehow "the gold standard" when it comes to tablet computers. There's often simply no other choice if you want good tablet software. I bought an iPad for flying as it is certificated and reliable during flight and simply 99% of the airplane mounts are made for iPads.
- Airplay: For music easier than Google Chromecast when streaming to multiple devices and works local without internet connection (which  Google introduced later, too).
And I do not like Apples behaviour. Apple forces you into their "golden cage" eco system - which is understandable. But they tried hard to prevent the repair act in the USA etc. and this is something I do not agree with. They have fantastic marketing allowing them to demand abnormal prices for e.g. thin plastic cases that aren't worth more than 5$ from any other company.
Their computers have issues like all other computers, too. No magic here.

Sony:
Some very great designed (okay, highly subjective) and reliable products and marketing wise the complete opposite of Apple: Sony sucks at marketing. Completeley. They act like  "Hey, we have a great new product, but DON'T TELL ANYONE!" Their service is mediocre, too. But they compensate with the reliability and perfomance of their products (not all, of course).
We use Sony Blu-ray players with Bang & Olufsen combined. Control over PUC as Millemissen already mentioned and it works fine.

Nvidia shield with PUC control on any B&O TV for all streaming services.

How to afford them? I use the old school approach and work. ;-)

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Jan 28 2022 4:21 PM

I agree with most of the comments so far.  The initial attraction is obviously the design.  You can't say "aside from the design, what's the initial attraction".  However, that's just the initial attraction.  Is there more than a pretty face?  Yes (see above).  Posts above have mentioned the decades long backward compatibility, but there's also just the longevity of their products.  The products are usually built to last, and they don't release new versions every year so you can buy without worrying too much about what's new in next year's new model.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

I believe you did some pre-work on your own. Just afraid you won't hear anything you haven't (or couldn't) figured out yourself anyway. 

simonsj
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
simonsj replied on Sat, Jan 29 2022 7:34 PM

You're right in that I did some research prior to posting this thread. It would be wrong if I didn't do my due diligence and relied on everyone hear to do my work for me. As to your point on fear of figuring out things I already know, I disagree, I think it's important to my project to learn from people who use B&O products, what makes them special to them, and why they choose x-brand over y-brand. Thank you everyone for entertaining this thread, you've been super helpful in explaining what makes B&O so special!

simonsj
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
simonsj replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 3:14 AM

I know I've asked a lot from y'all, and have learned a lot along the way, but I'm curious to know if anyone would be willing to hop on a call with me for like 15min this week? This project ends in about 2 weeks and I still have some work cut out for me.

Thank you!

John

simonsj
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
simonsj replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 3:15 AM

I know I've asked a lot from y'all, and have learned a lot along the way, but I'm curious to know if anyone would be willing to hop on a call with me for like 15min this week? This project ends in about 2 weeks and I still have some work cut out for me.

Thank you!

John

simonsj
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
simonsj replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 3:15 AM

Thank you!

John

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS