Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5000 Platter Scraping: Time to Replace Leaf Springs?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

uberbrodt
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
uberbrodt Posted: Wed, Feb 2 2022 8:55 PM

Hello!

I've owned a Beomaster for a few years now, and have an issue with my Beogram 5000 where the platter makes a scraping noise during rotation, like it's hitting a low spot. I removed the lid and top and was able to adjust the three leaf springs, but the right side (facing the front of the player) is just ever so slightly lower and I cannot adjust the leaf springs up any further.

For context, I received this player from a friend of a friend (whom had gotten it from a second hand shop) and it played fine for me. However, after moving to my new house I noticed the scraping issue. I brought the beogram over to the new house myself and don't recall any impacts that would damage the table. I'm actually wondering if the transit screws had been engaged all along and the move loosened them so that it freed the float base (as it should be for play. doh!).

Anyways, it doesn't seem like the spindle or platter is unbalanced, so my thought is that perhaps the leaf springs are worn out and cannot tension properly to raise the base as high as it needs to? How can I be sure and where could replacements be sourced?

Mark
Top 500 Contributor
San Francisco
Posts 107
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Feb 2 2022 11:25 PM

I have never seen a leaf spring wear out. Instead it may be the connection clip between the tip of the leaf spring and chassis that has been elongated. I would compared all three clips. It could also be a warped sub-platter. You need to inspect precisely what is scraping and whether it is occurring in the same spot making sure the table is on a level surface.

uberbrodt
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

thanks for your reply. I'll investigate that. It's difficult to ascertain what is scraping since it only occurs when the platter is present.

Unfortunately when I was investigating, a new troubling behaviour has started occuring. When the record player is plugged in, it spins for a moment and then stops; sometimes the tone arm advances and returns when it reaches it's end point. It then keeps doing this until I unplug it. Sad

uberbrodt
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Oh, how would I determine if the sub platter is warped? It looks level as best I can tell by my eye. Is there a measurement tool you recommend?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 5:02 PM

First find out, if it is the platter or the subplatter scraping on something.
Next find out what it scrapes against.
Then we'll know more and our chances of helping you will be better.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS