Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

2 A1s vs 2 Balances?!?

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan Posted: Tue, Feb 8 2022 4:31 PM

I've been in search of a stereo option for my office.  I currently have a Bs2 which I adore, but lately I feel like I'm missing stereo imaging.  I've been trying to justify a pair of Balances, but it just seems like total overkill for a smaller room where I normally listen at fairly low volume.  I'm sure they'd be wonderful, but they're not exactly cheap, and, typically, when I drop decent money on B&O my wife decides she needs an upgrade for the house so I must consider the cost of the speakers in addition to the cost of whatever catches her fancy.  Also, I don't really like any of the current color options, and, when spending this kind of money, I would prefer getting something I actually like vs. find only acceptable (with the associated worry that shortly after I buy my Balances, B&O will release a smoked oak version which I would like).

My first "budget" choice was to setup a pair of BL4000s that I'm currently not using.  My office is currently wired for ML and I have an available BL Active with IR eye.  However, the Chromecast audio connected to my main system is dodgy so I'd need to get a core or essence mk2, and a beo4 remote (as the one I was using prior had died).  I would also have to do some reconfiguration of my office layout, and, even then, there would be some compromises with their positioning.  Another downside is I would lose the ability to distribute my turntable audio as I'd move my BS2 somewhere else in the house.  So, not a perfect solution from a performance and usability perspective, but definitely cheaper - 1000 - 1500. 

Then, I read the recent thread where Razlaw was using a stereo pair of A1s in his office.  This solves the placement problem as there's plenty of room on my desk and no fixed power or PL cables to hide.  I currently use an A1 (gen1) for conference calls and travel with it so I'm familiar with the sound quality.  At first, I scoffed at this idea, but it has grown on me.  2 A1s right next to me probably sound pretty good for my non-critical, lower volume office listening.  I would keep the BS2 for when I want to crank things up.  Best of all, the cost is just a tiny blip in the budget.  I realize the useability is a bit fiddly.

So first question, am I crazy to be considering 2 A1s as a suitable substitute for "real speakers"?  Secondly, would it be worth an extra 200 to get 2 A1 mk2 vs. getting just a single new A1 mk1 and a splitter cable.  It seems most people prefer the sound and clarity of the mk2.  I do agree that the mk1 is a bit muddy and boomy at times.  However, I like the hardwired option that the mk1 offers.

I'd love to hear other thoughts and perspectives on this.

Stan

PS - I also looked into some non-B&O options.  The KEF LSX seemed perfect until I read reviews that dumped on it because of usability issues (poor apps, bad connectivity, poor reliability).  Similar feedback on the B&W formation duo (no hardware issues, but software issues).  Sure, you can find similar complaints about B&O, but, lately, it seems B&O's software has gotten much better.  I guess my point is it seems everybody struggles with software (although maybe Sonos does a better job than most), and, to me, it seems like B&O has been doing a better job lately. 

Simon Weir
Not Ranked
Warrington, UK
Posts 14
Bronze Member

I have done just this 2 x MK1 A1s with an aux coming out of my monitor and split into two aux cables into the A1s.  Both A1s are also usb connected into a hub sitting below my monitor so they get power.

The reason I have them connected into my BenQ monitor is this way I can switch monitor sources i.e. HDMI 1 - Work laptop to HDMI 2 - PC to HDMI 3 - iPad Pro and the sound matches the source without needing to touch the A1s.

The sound is so good, surprisingly so, it shamed the Vita Audio R4 I had on the bookcase behind me, so that is now boxed up the loft and I have the A1s with room filling sound.

Present: Eclipse 55” Gen 2 with motorised wall bracket.  Plus 2 x pairs of BeoLab 17 + 1 x BeoLab 19 using WiSA to the soundcenter.

Also LG 55” C9 + BeoSound Stage in another room.  And 2 x A1 Gen1 as PC speakers.

Past: Eclipse 55 Gen 1 and before that an Avant 55” MK1.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Tue, Feb 8 2022 8:01 PM

Hi Stan, I agree the Balance would be more like cranking things up «a bit» :). I have a stereo pair and I too have gone for other than standard options in terms of colour. But I recall having tried two A1 Mark Is in stereo in the past and I was also impressed. You cannot really go wrong with that and they are definitely less costly. When reading your post I kept thinking about a stereo pair of Beosound Emerge. To me it sounded like they would suit your use case. I do like its sound which I find pleasant and at lower volumes it would be a very nice option. Now, I do realize there might be few that would even consider getting two and then stereo pairing the Emerge that costs about a third of the price of the Balance and you don’t really get a third of the sound. You also mentioned you didn’t like the standard options of the Balance, which the Emerge seems to have followed. I am not holding my breathe for a Smoked Oak or Walnut version of it even I’d prefer that. If we’re lucky, we’d get one of these for the Level, which is excellent as a stereo set, I hear. But with an in-the-middle price tag between the Emerge and the Balance. I do find the Emerge an attractive option but of course its concept is more premium than that of the A1. As I understand the more you’d spend on speakers the more upgrading your home would cost, but perhaps a second A1 wouldn’t even be noticed, neither financially nor physically :).

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Feb 8 2022 8:21 PM

Stan, I love this.

I have an A1 mk2 and think it's great. I feel like "more is better" so if you are only comfortable spending on two A1s versus, say, two Levels, then fantastic. I think stereo sound really adds to the immersive feeling of the music. What a great idea.

I suppose I don't have much more to say here. I don't have much helpful to offer here than to say--what a cool idea. And you know, you could just get them off Amazon and test them and easily return them if you don't like it.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Feb 8 2022 10:35 PM
I continue to be impressed, and surprised, at the quality of the sound from 2 A1s.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Feb 8 2022 10:51 PM

@Csaba.

I briefly considered 2 Levels primarily.  There's one with a small chip in the panel on OfferUp for a very low price - like $500.  I trialed the Level when it first came out, and I thought it was quite nice.  However, I didn't buy it then for the same reason I'm not really thinking about it now which is because it takes up too much room (and I was also skeptical about when it would actually support NL).  For me, the cones (BS1, BS2) work much better than the wide and skinny Level for my furniture.  If I had a need for a portable solution, I might re-consider (especially, with a cosmetically pre-damaged one I wouldn't need to be so careful - then again, is the damage only cosmetic?).

Unfortunately, the Emerge isn't available in the US, and it's not clear when it will be.  As you guessed, I'm also not a big fan of its looks (black one looks like a router and I'm not a big fan of the gold/oak combination).  It would probably work pretty well for my purposes.

I ordered an A1 mk2 today to compare against my mk1.  I will take advantage of Amazon's 30 day return policy if necessary.

I was all set to try the mk1 approach first since I already have one, but my mk1 turns off after 15 minutes when running from the line-in while not plugged in.  It didn't always work this way, but it must be an "improvement" that was added during a software update.  Anyway, I'm not really planning to keep them plugged in all the time, and having 2 plugged in + audio cable is starting to get messy.  As it is, I have a USB power supply that I charge my phone with, then charge the A1s when necessary.

The other think I like about the A1 approach is if something better comes along in the next couple years (non-ugly Emerge, smoked oak Balance), I don't have a lot invested.  The 2nd hand market for B&O products in the US is not good... selling for a 50% discount doesn't hurt nearly as much when you're only $400 into it.  Or I'll decided the stereo isn't all that (which is how I convinced myself to buy the BS2)...

LeMirage
Not Ranked
Posts 77
Bronze Member

You could also consider Beoplay P6 in stereo pair, an even stronger and fuller sound compared to A1 stereo paired.  

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Feb 9 2022 6:20 PM

No P6s to be found in the US.  Also, they would be double the price of the A1s, and, at that price, I'm getting closer to the cost of my BL4000 option.  I'm also not a fan of how they look.  The A1s not exactly pretty, but they are quite unobtrusive.  I can't say that about the P6.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Wed, Feb 9 2022 8:15 PM

@Stan, I’ve been quite slow to respond, very busy times here, I apologize! Indeed, I actually wanted to point out that it might be difficult to get hold of the Emerge. I forgot to include that point. My intention was to say that you could ask a dealer if they happened to have a pair. But then again, the price vs. performance, and the colour options… I was told the production of the Emerge was put on hold so they could prioritize meeting demands for the Level and Beolab 28 and that it would return in either March or May, in any case during the spring. It sounds like you’ve taken into account a number of pros and cons, and I think the A1 would do temporarily if you can live with the downsides for a while. I also prefer a shape like that of the BS1/2 and the Balance for placement reasons - among others. In fact, while I prefer the looks of the Balance, I could imagine getting a Beosound 2 not only for its gorgeous sound but also due to it working better as a floor-standing speaker compared to the Balance that does indeed require either a sideboard, a commode, a sidetable or a pedestal. Meaning additional cost if you have most spots taken :). As for the Level, in general I do not think it takes so much net space but you might need to account for the space between it and any other equipment you might want to use it with, such as stood horizontally next to a turntable. Especially if you have a stereo pair. It does become wide. In your case, on the one hand you know better what space limitations you’re dealing with, on the other hand the Level is also a different ball game compared to the A1. I was also considering to mention the M3, whose sound and performance I used to like for its size. (Used to = I have sold it.) However, I am not sure if B&O has made it stereo-capable. Unless an update has enabled that, I think it is not possible. Strange, considering you could pair two A1s.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 11:09 PM
Just purchased a pair of Emerges. As soon as they arrive I can give you a comparison of how they sound compared to the pair of A1s if you would like.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 11:52 PM

When are you supposed to get them?  Which dealer did you order them from?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 12:09 AM
Stan:

When are you supposed to get them? Which dealer did you order them from?

The Philadelphia dealer. I assume they will be shipped tomorrow. They were the last two he had.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 2:34 AM

Razlaw, I will look forward to your review Smile. I didn't really seriously consider the Emerge since it had been unavailable for so long.  If they are starting to trickle in to the U.S., then maybe I should. Definitely solves the useability issues.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 4:00 AM

I’d love to hear about your comparison as well! I assume you could only get hold of the GVA version?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 12:36 PM
Csaba:

I’d love to hear about your comparison as well! I assume you could only get hold of the GVA version?

Yes, got the last two dealer had, GVA version.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Feb 12 2022 12:34 AM
Stan:

When are you supposed to get them?

Should arrive Tuesday 😊

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 12:53 AM
Have one Emerge connected at work. So far I have a very favorable opinion. Still have second one at home. Am looking forward to hearing the difference when I get it connected also.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 3:09 PM
Unfortunately I can not yet give much of a review of the stereo performance. I am having some trouble with the pairing and am thinking there may be too much Wi-Fi interference at work? I wish there was a way to pair them with a cable as can be done with 28s.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 6:53 PM

What exactly is the issue?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 7:29 PM
Csaba:

What exactly is the issue?

When I try to run the room compensation it runs the first speaker and then gives an error message. Also, having some problems keeping the second speaker operating. At one point tried to unpair them but app would not do it. One speaker is working perfectly. And is working both connected by Wi-Fi or by Ethernet. When trying to reboot it will say one of the speakers is not on the network. Basically pairing related connectivity issues.

I am concerned there might be too much Wi-Fi interference at work given all of the different networks. Had some connectivity problems at my home with my 28s that were solved y connecting the two speakers with a cable. When I tried the Emerges at home I also had some connectivity issues. But, there is no option to connect the Emerges with a cable.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 7:53 PM

Sad

I realize this may not be possible in an office environment but is there any chance you can hardwire both speakers to the network.  Depending on how locked down the network is, this could inspire a nasty-gram from IT about connecting unauthorized devices to the network. 

Another troubleshooting question is whether the 2nd Emerge can run successfully on wifi as a standalone, and, if so, can you send music from one to the other (not in stereo)

Some office wifi networks are configured so devices can only talk to the internet, not to each other.  You would need special privileges assigned by the network admin to allow them to talk to each other if this were the case. 

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 1:28 AM
Stan:

I realize this may not be possible in an office environment but is there any chance you can hardwire both speakers to the network. Depending on how locked down the network is, this could inspire a nasty-gram from IT about connecting unauthorized devices to the network.

Another troubleshooting question is whether the 2nd Emerge can run successfully on wifi as a standalone, and, if so, can you send music from one to the other (not in stereo)

Some office wifi networks are configured so devices can only talk to the internet, not to each other. You would need special privileges assigned by the network admin to allow them to talk to each other if this were the case.

I definitely need to try running the 2nd Emerge as a stand-alone as you suggest.

I would like to hardwire both, but have been told by B and O that it is not possible to pair Emerges through a wired connection, only wirelessly, unfortunately. I really wish it were possible to hardwire them.

I had no idea that some WiFi networks are configured as you describe. However, I have tried the Emerges on both the work network, and on a hotspot network created by my iPad.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 1:35 PM
Reset the problem speaker this morning. Connecting to my iPad as a hotspot I was able to get all set up and working as it should and they sound great. It may be a problem with the network here as you described. I don’t really want to use my iPad daily as a hotspot. Although I do not really know why. I have never done much with a hotspot so not sure how that will work with the iPad coming and going?

I am still thinking about bring my BS5 to work and connecting the Emerges to it. For simple background music I can have it connected to the Ethernet and should not have any of the connectivity problems. If I want to listen to something that is not on the BS5, I could use either Bluetooth or my iPad hotspot?

I guess I will do some experimenting to see how things work with the iPad coming and going.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 3:45 PM

Hi Razlaw,

Glad you're making progress.  I'm surprised at how good the stereo A1s sound for this application - close by, low volume listening.  Then again, I don't think they will displace my BS2, but it's been an interesting exercise nonetheless.

FYI:  It's not unusual for corporate wifi networks (or any network managed by security minded people) to not allow inter-device access on the "open" wifi network.  This way, devices can come and go somewhat freely, but since the devices can only access the internet (which is what 99% of most random devices want to do), the security people don't have to worry too much about rogue devices breaking into network resources (including other devices on the network).  There's usually a "closed" wifi network that people access only on a "need to know" basis which has fuller capabilities, although some places will skip this in favor of wired connections (where, speaking from experience, excitable network admins may come running if you plug in an unknown device).

Stan

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Feb 17 2022 9:27 PM
Stan:

Hi Razlaw,

Glad you're making progress. I'm surprised at how good the stereo A1s sound for this application - close by, low volume listening. Then again, I don't think they will displace my BS2, but it's been an interesting exercise nonetheless.

FYI: It's not unusual for corporate wifi networks (or any network managed by security minded people) to not allow inter-device access on the "open" wifi network. This way, devices can come and go somewhat freely, but since the devices can only access the internet (which is what 99% of most random devices want to do), the security people don't have to worry too much about rogue devices breaking into network resources (including other devices on the network). There's usually a "closed" wifi network that people access only on a "need to know" basis which has fuller capabilities, although some places will skip this in favor of wired connections (where, speaking from experience, excitable network admins may come running if you plug in an unknown device).

Stan

Thanks! You know so much more about networks than I do. I have access to the both the closed WiFi network and the Ethernet connection. I am sure if I needed some setting changed it would be done for me, but I try to avoid troubling IT unless I have to. They have so much more important things to do than assist me with a B and O toy.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Feb 18 2022 3:42 PM
Finally have success and have the Emerges paired and working. I feel like I was really being stupid. I was setting up the Emerges on Wi-Fi but then connecting them to Ethernet. My mistake was thinking that once paired, only one needed to be connected by Ethernet. Now that I have both connected by Ethernet they are working great! Thanks so much for all of the advice!

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Fri, Feb 18 2022 5:18 PM

Great to hear! So how do they sound as a pair? :) Can you describe them?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Feb 18 2022 7:18 PM
They sound great! Because of being at work I have not had them very loud. I will be trying that this weekend and will have more of an ability to give an opinion.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 11:17 AM

I am not sure if they can go too loud based on what I heard at my dealer’s but I also found them to be pleasant to listen to.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 5:17 PM
After spending some time listening to them at higher volumes, here are my thoughts. I am genuinely surprised at how good the stereo imaging is. Also, the volume is more than adequate for my needs. My office is approximately 250 square feet. At anything more than about 60%-70% volume they are much too loud to listen to comfortably. The sound quality is still great at those levels. For the price and size, I am as impressed with them as I am my 28s. But, I am weird as I much prefer my 28s to my former 50s. When I had the 50s I had no desire to replace my 1s, 6000s, 12-3s, 4000s, and 9s. The 28s have made me want to replace them with newer speakers and the Emerges have only strengthened that desire.

My 4000s definitely have a fuller sound than the Emerges, and I am not saying the Emerges equal 4000s. But to my ears, there is something about the Mozart products that I really like.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 9:44 PM

Do you have them placed near a wall?  I think I saw a review that mentioned that they should sound better near a wall because of their rear bass port.  Curious about this because I'm thinking about having them freestanding on my desk.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 10:24 PM
They are placed on a wall unit that sits behind my desk. Immediately behind them is glass with a couple of small shelves higher up.

Page 1 of 1 (32 items) | RSS