Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocenter 9500 tape mechanism problems

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Jasondo
Not Ranked
Eastleigh
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jasondo Posted: Tue, Feb 8 2022 9:36 PM

Hi, hopefully someone can advise, I've got hold of a 9500, and trying to refurbish, now I have found replacement  glass panels as 1 was cracked. Checking everything  through, the radio and CD were fine, but the cassette needed belts. I have replaced these, but tape will not play. It clicks, the solenoids operate as far as I can tell, and the motor turns but it will not play, as the mechanism only rotates a bit and then jams, leaving motor spinning and drive belt comes off. I suspected as previous belts had perished into a gummy mess, that just a good clean required, but alas still no tape transport. I've downloaded a manual, (although the tape mechanism version is different in my model than the manual depicts), to see if there is perhaps a mechanical timing issue...(i seem to remember from dabbling back in 80s 90s that some.VCRs occasionally like car engines needed to be assembled and aligned appropriately hence the thought)....... but after a partial disassembly and clean, lubrication and rebuild, I get same results, almost like there are brakes on preventing free movement.

I'm almost at point of stripping down and selling for spares, but thinking one more go at getting it working is appropriate. 

Has anyone experienced this before, or any ideas what I could check, I'm wondering if perhaps there is an electronic  issue as well....anything I should check out to give any clues?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Feb 9 2022 9:07 AM

Are you sure that the new belts are the correct spec and (without the correct manual) fitted correctly?

If you buy your belts from here they come with full fitting instructions for your type of cassette deck (version 1 or 2):  https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product-category/beocenter/beocenter-9500/  

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Feb 9 2022 10:36 AM

Guy:

Are you sure that the new belts are the correct spec and (without the correct manual) fitted correctly?

If you buy your belts from here they come with full fitting instructions for your type of cassette deck (version 1 or 2):  https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product-category/beocenter/beocenter-9500/  

Leave a note at checkout to this effect, and also stating your Beocenter model, as the same belt set fits several models.

Martin

Tim
Not Ranked
Somerset, UK
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Tim replied on Wed, Feb 9 2022 4:19 PM

Are you sure it's the tape mechanism, I remember someone had a similar problem recently only to find out that it was the tape cassette !

Jasondo
Not Ranked
Eastleigh
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jasondo replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 3:15 PM

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the response, It is a version 2, no screws so I believe the right set were ordered. I think I've installed them correctly based upon what I've seen online. So there is a chance that I've threaded these incorrectly, for sure as the set I ordered didn't have instruction set.

I've threaded the belts similar to a YouTube video found for 2500 deck as other than motor position the rest looked right. Other belt then to transfer the drive to mechanics 

Jasondo
Not Ranked
Eastleigh
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jasondo replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 3:18 PM

Hi Tim 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can state that the cassette itself is fine, can play it on another deck with no problems 😊 

Cheers

Jason 

Jasondo
Not Ranked
Eastleigh
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jasondo replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 3:31 PM

I've followed the threading method found online YouTube for 2500 version,  just noting difference in drive motor mounting in my model hence extra belts

https://youtu.be/JnAD5PbyBGA

Spassmaker
Top 500 Contributor
North Germany
Posts 223
Gold Member
Spassmaker replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 12:17 PM

Hi

Just had a similar problem, tapedeck worked so far played both directions but fast forward only one direction.

The culprit was a junk belt I bought on the big auction house.

That was absoloutly the last belt I bought there, the belt seems to fit but for the last pice of turning the gearwheels it's not enough even that the capstan wheels did not stop or going slow visible.

For testing I took the old belt, cutted a piece about 1,5 cm out reglued the belt and voila the tape worked again.

Lesson learned...don't buy on e....

Ordered a belt set at Beoparts DK

Kind regards

Christian

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS