Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Preamp settings Beogram 4004

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

toremeek
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
toremeek Posted: Sat, Feb 12 2022 7:18 PM

Hi

Just got a really beautiful Beogram 4004 and a Pro-Ject preamp for my birthday. Joy!

Trying to get the settings on the preamp right, but the sound is not right there yet. Missing upper tones and some space. Sounds a bit boxed in.

Ive tried some of the settings suggested in the manual. Im really not familiar with gain, input capacitance and ohms so not sure if im doing it right. Any suggestions?

Tried a setting for mm, ortofon 2m red,, wich gave the best result so far. Input gain is 40db, input capacitance is 200 and input impendance is 47 kohms. But again, im totally new to this..

Really appreciate help.

Hyponx
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
Hyponx replied on Sat, Feb 12 2022 10:27 PM

Hi tormeek,

I also had a Beogram 4004 and a pro-ject S2 phono preamp until recently.

The cartridge I used was a SoundSmith SMMC20EN which is the official replacement for the original B&O cartridges. 

Here is a link to that cartridge: https://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/bo/smmc20en

Here are the recommended settings per their spec sheet:

Recommended Load Resistance: • ≥ 47kΩ
Recommended Load Capacitance: • 100 - 300 pF+

The MMC cartridges are comparatively low output gain to a typical MM cartridge so I recommend setting the input gain to the 43 db gain setting if your preamp has it.

Personally I also turned on the subsonic filter, but that one is more up to you.

If all this still leaves you with sound issues I recommend considering other sources, maybe the cartridge is old/worn out, or the tracking force is not set well.

Hope that at least gets you thinking and congratulations on a beautiful turntable!

- Hyponx

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS