Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Not satisfied with B&O’s decision to not support the Beomaster/sound 5 system

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu Posted: Fri, Feb 18 2022 9:08 PM

Hi,

I am personally appalled by B&O decision to stop providing us with their support for the Beomaster/ Sound 5 system that we all paid close to $10 k for. B&O claims that their sub supplier stopped the music art support but B&O could have in my opinion updated the software and use e.g dbpoweramp to provide continuing service. When I rip a CD now I do not get the music art or the tracks. Granted the system is now close to 10 years old but when you buy a premium brand that proud itself for the longevity of their products the least they can do is stand behind their product.

Hopefully enough of us will make enough noise for B&O to take some action.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 5:04 AM

Blhu:
Beomaster/ Sound 5 system that we all paid close to $10 k for
Where did you buy this system for that price?

As said, the system is 10 years old, it is running on Windows XP Embedded? What do you expect? You're living in a digital age...... You are using your iPhone 3 on a daily base to full satisfaction, still?

Do you know any software developer updating their products for Windows XP? Even Microsoft stopped their support for XP several years ago.

Blhu:
B&O claims that their sub supplier stopped
So yes this is very reasonable / plausible!

Blhu:
premium brand that proud itself for the longevity
They are and the should be (and they missed some corners with some products also), but in the end can you find a brand were you can integrate old stuff in new technologies?

And also on a daily base you can still use the Beosound 5. And if you really look into the matter you still can get all the tag info available.

Just do a search on this site!

Minus 1 vote; let them use their resources for other issues.

Blhu
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Blhu replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 5:57 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your response. It is always good to hear someone else’s opinion. The fact that you are the only responded means that many others might feel the same as you.

WWIIF I bought the system in Nov 2012 for just under $6k but when added speakers and remote the total installed cost was close to $10k.

I might be old school (still using an IPhone 6 and have an 1985 Beomaster 3000) but my expectations are that a company like B&O provides support to their sold products. 

I was told by B&O that in 2017 they stopped the music art/ track support which is within 5 years after they sold me a product that would do it all!

A 10 year old MacBook is still able to work with music files including the music art. Software can be updated remotely as time goes by provided that the hardware can support it.

In my opinion B&O stopped the support to safe money while those that bought the system were left out in the cold. That is not a professional attitude of any customer centric company. The B&O of today is not the same company that it once was.  

Bw789
Not Ranked
Posts 74
Bronze Member
Bw789 replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 7:18 PM

Blhu:

Hi,

Thanks for your response. It is always good to hear someone else’s opinion. The fact that you are the only responded means that many others might feel the same as you.

WWIIF I bought the system in Nov 2012 for just under $6k but when added speakers and remote the total installed cost was close to $10k.

I might be old school (still using an IPhone 6 and have an 1985 Beomaster 3000) but my expectations are that a company like B&O provides support to their sold products. 

I was told by B&O that in 2017 they stopped the music art/ track support which is within 5 years after they sold me a product that would do it all!

A 10 year old MacBook is still able to work with music files including the music art. Software can be updated remotely as time goes by provided that the hardware can support it.

In my opinion B&O stopped the support to safe money while those that bought the system were left out in the cold. That is not a professional attitude of any customer centric company. The B&O of today is not the same company that it once was.  

Yeah Apple don't provide software updates for MacOS on 10 year old Macbooks, just sayin'

Using a provider for Album art isn't free and B&O would have to pay a per device fee, possibly on a yearly basis to keep this running, if they're no longer producing the product then you could argue this is an unfair burden for them to uphold.

I'm sure there's probably a Software workaround somewhere on the internet if this bothers you so much.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 7:18 PM

The BS5 was released at first without the optional. CD-ripper. So you have to digitalize your cd collection yourself and feed the content through the Beoplayer "Portal". I have always done it myself and made sure the cd was ripped at the best possible way included with cover-art.

Even until today that will do the job just fine. Even the radioservice works and gets update occasionally.

Apple is one of the worst possible examples to compare with. After 5 years updating (older) app's require newer OS's and newer OS's indeed don't support older hardware, so you're forced to buy new stuff. I'm wondering who's winning the competition about lifespan.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Apple still provides security updates for my 2012 Mac mini.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

lawrencejmcook:

Yes, but you can not update the OS.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 20 2022 10:05 AM

Millemissen:

lawrencejmcook:

MM

And since then he updated the OS several time to a later date versions............ so no real argument.

Blhu:
A 10 year old MacBook is still able to work with music files including the music art.
A 10 year old Beosound 5 is still able to work with music files including the music art.

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Millemissen:

MM

My Mac mini 2012 cannot go beyond MacOS Catalina. But it is precisely the OS that Apple still updates.

In fact, there are two kinds of updates to the OS:

- Security updates

- Enabling use with the most recent iDevices. (Helps sales, reduces customer dissatisfaction).

Lawrence
Bw789
Not Ranked
Posts 74
Bronze Member
Bw789 replied on Sun, Feb 20 2022 2:30 PM

lawrencejmcook:
Millemissen:

MM

either way, it’s not a fair comparison as Apple design both the hardware and produce the operating system.

in this case we’re talking about B&O hardware with a now unsupported Microsoft OS using an album art service from a third party which I’d imagine costs money or could change how their service works at any opportunity thus rendering it unusable.

My Mac mini 2012 cannot go beyond MacOS Catalina. But it is precisely the OS that Apple still updates.

In fact, there are two kinds of updates to the OS:

- Security updates

- Enabling use with the most recent iDevices. (Helps sales, reduces customer dissatisfaction).

Lawrence

Raeven
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Raeven replied on Sun, Feb 20 2022 4:05 PM

I understand your frustration. But to be fairly honest this product was already "old" in 2012. Plus, this is based on Windows not a Mac platform hence the problems of supporting for B&O. I have a Bticino home automation screen with embedded Windows on it; same problem not supported anymore.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 20 2022 4:38 PM

Raeven:
Windows not a Mac platform hence the problems of supporting for B&O.
Strange comparison.
Raeven:
already "old" in 2012.
That is the point!  But XP embedded was still supported by Microsoft till sometime in 2016.

Apple doesn't have and didn't have a modular form of it's OS for "industrial devices". So let's stop compare Apple with pears.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS