Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Recent repairs

rated by 0 users
This post has 232 Replies | 13 Followers

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Feb 16 2020 9:25 AM
Hi,

No they were real square belts made in Portugal (?) bought in UK. Still for sale by the way.

I bought them only because you didn’t stock them, out of despair Stick out tongue

Jacques

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 16 2020 9:46 AM

chartz:
Hi Martin,

They were definitely not o-rings, but just bad quality belts, probably a little loose?

I wonder how such sellers (I contacted him before buying) can have such positive evaluations. Whistle

You only have 60 days to leave feedback on Ebay. If the purchased item holds on for that long the seller is in the clear.

And did you say Portugal? Now, where did I hear about this before...? Geeked
https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/38090.aspx

Martin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Mar 5 2020 12:14 PM

Beocord 2000
This one arrived with a note stating "Huge wow".
I tested it and had to agree. Huge wow indeed.
Near tape ends it could hardly pull the tape - but I could hear the motor run.
I opened up the Beocord and had a look inside. This is where it became clear to me, that this
was going to be one more belt story.

The capstan belt was huge. And not only was it huge, it was also quite stiff.
Actually, it was so stiff that it didn't hug the barrel shaped motor pulley correctly, - it merely
sat on the widest section of the pulley, completely flat, only touching the pulley along the center of the belt,
which over a period of about a year had worn completely shiny and smooth with no friction left whatsoever.
In this photo I think you can tell, that the belt doesn't touch the motor pulley at its sides, only at its center.

Laying it on a piece of cardboard the belt was so rigid I had to press it down with a finger to make it lay flat.
The other belt is the real thing, note how flexible and agile it is. Completely different.

The new belt was fitted.
Note how it embraces the pulley and adapts to its shape for full contact.

The other two belts got replaced too, and a couple of known troublemaker capacitors in the Dolby circuit was
attended to as well.
Fresh idler wheel and reel table rubber parts were fitted for good measure.
It played along for a couple of hours and back it went.

Martin

Alan247
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Alan247 replied on Sat, Mar 14 2020 11:55 AM

Where can I get repair kit for bm1900. I bought this in 1979 and has lain in my attic for the last 10 years. Now suffering from similar ailment that I've read about on this forum. Comes out of standby briefly and goes off again. Also a tutorial for carrying out repairs?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Mar 14 2020 12:59 PM

I am not aware of any tutorial as such. Repairing electronics is really a job for a trained tech guy or an experienced DIY'er, but some of
the kits come with (dis-)assembly instructions (photos and english text).

In your case I would check the solder joints at the large output stage transistors for cracks and if that's all fine check for presence of DC on an output.

Capacitor kit, lamp kit, potentiometer repairs kit  - all available.
PM or email me.

Martin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Apr 12 2020 7:53 PM

Beogram 3000
The tangential version.
Owner told me it had a huge wow and my thoughts soon circled around platter belt and motor (I have seen to many wrong belts causing problems in these decks).
But I could not replicate the problem.
It just kept on playing without a single glitch, so I decided to give it a good cleaning, a dose of fresh
lubricants and a fresh set of belts for good measure.
Then test it again.

It played along and all was fine.. - until I closed the dustcover.
Then it suddenly - but certainly - produced wow!
The problem was soon diagnosed as a to high setting of the subchassis.
I must admit I didn't notice it at first, but the subchassis was set high enough to see the outer perimeter of a record on the
platter actually touching the inner side of the frontmost part of the sloping dustcover.
Admitted, it's not like there is a lot of room to spare in those quarters, but it shouldn't touch.
I did the adjustments and put it all back correctly and the deck was back in business.

I have a small notebook where I collect faults and solutions. It has proved to be an invaluable source of experience and information, particularly useful when people email me with all kinds of problems and symptoms - for their B&O units, that is.
This one was added.

Martin

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Apr 12 2020 8:31 PM

This book clearly needs to be published!! Certainly would be fascinating to see - I know Tim used to put similar episodes on the Beocentral site. However a small publication run would be even better!

Peter

Keith
Top 500 Contributor
Shrewsbury
Posts 138
Bronze Member
Keith replied on Sun, Apr 12 2020 8:42 PM

Put me down for one.

Keith

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Apr 13 2020 2:44 PM

Today a little assistance was called in to help replacing old and flattened rubber feet.
The new feet are cast in neutral rubber to keep this lovely Beomaster 700K from leaving black footprints on furniture and shelves.

And after that more than a bit of cleaning...

Eek...Once a smokers, apparently.
We talked about how everything else in this persons home must have looked, smelled ... - and felt.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Apr 13 2020 3:16 PM

Good to see you are training the next generation of B&O technicians. This will ensure these vintage jewels will continue to work for decades more :-).

John

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Apr 13 2020 8:29 PM

On the smoking bit, my grandmother was a heavy smoker. Very elegant slim lady usually seen with a fox stole and a long cigarette holder. My father had always liked the amber chandelier in her house but when they came to clear the house out when she died, the amber turned out to originally have been clear crystal!!

Peter

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Apr 15 2020 2:27 PM

Reminds me of a nice, albeit dirty. Beomaster 900K I restored a few months ago.
I cleaned it from palisander to teak... Ick!

The above Beomaster 700K initially looked like this - could pass for light oak:

and ended up like this, definitely teak:

Thanks for all the nice comments and emails. Smile

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Apr 15 2020 10:14 PM

When I have grandchildren, I will give them my B&O collection. 😊

Jacques

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Thu, Apr 16 2020 12:05 PM

chartz:

When I have grandchildren, I will give them my B&O collection. 😊

I have no children so am planning to be buried with mine. It's going to need to be a big hole....Embarrassed

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Apr 16 2020 12:35 PM

Grandchildren? Where did that come from? Huh?Laughing

Martin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jul 9 2020 4:28 PM

Beocord 6000
- And still people start smoking...

Martin

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Jul 9 2020 5:29 PM
Dillen:

Beocord 6000 - And still people start smoking...

Martin

Insane....

What do you use for cleaning?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Thu, Jul 9 2020 5:52 PM

Looks like it was used in the desert Smile

And this is how the owner sent it to you ?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jul 9 2020 8:12 PM

I will use a spray foam cleaner, dishwasher liquid etc. but of course I will have to take it apart first.

Yes, that's how I received it. And it's not the first time I get to dig in to something like this, - I immediately thought about the
Beogram about 2/3 down this page https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/5230/167470.aspx 

Martin

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Thu, Jul 9 2020 8:56 PM

Martin...

It's a shame when people don't take care of basic stuff. I can understand not everyone can open a system and clean inside but the least they can do is clean the surface Indifferent

We need a "Rescue this B&O" thread (opposite of Flash your B&O) to highlight - how not to treat your B&O equipment.

davstev
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
davstev replied on Tue, Mar 16 2021 3:03 AM

Hello Martin from Montreal, Canada. It's been awhile since I used this great site.

I recently picked up a Beocenter 7700 in outstanding condition. When I picked it up a few days ago, all that was not working was the cassette player. So I have ordered new belts.

It was working until just recently, but now, nothing. I can't even turn it on or off. The only sign of life is when I press "turn" on the turntable it spins. Also, when I plug it in to the wall electricity, like you mentioned in your post, I get the "background lighting of the volume control display", and by this I simply mean the set of numbers above the digital VU meters in red and green. When the unit is plugged in, these numbers are always lit. But that's it...

It sounds like maybe I also have a burned fuse F1. Where is this fuse located? 

I have just downloaded the Service Manual but I have basic abilities, I am not a tech.

However, I would like to try replacing F1 to see if it's a simple matter. But as you mention, the fuse llikely blew for a reason....a bad cap or something.

If you could point me to F1, I would appreciate it!

Many thanks.

davstev
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
davstev replied on Tue, Mar 16 2021 4:39 AM

Update: I found one fuse on the underside, right side of the unit in a compartment. Fuse tested ok. But something still remains wrong. I tried the remote control and it won't power the unit on either. Still no power- only lighting up the numbers above the recording level indicator meters (actually just the numbers above it. Otherwise, dead.

davstev
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
davstev replied on Tue, Mar 16 2021 4:39 AM

Update: I found one fuse on the underside, right side of the unit in a compartment. Fuse tested ok. But something still remains wrong. I tried the remote control and it won't power the unit on either. Still, only the recording level indicators meters work when the unit is plugged in. Nothing more.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Mar 16 2021 6:57 AM

I would check C96 on the processor module. They have a tendency to short, particularly if one of the black ROE types are fitted.
But all capacitors in there would ideally need replacing by now.

Martin

davstev
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
davstev replied on Tue, Mar 16 2021 12:43 PM

Thanks for the tip.

The board is still mounted, but on the back of it, I could see a tiny bit of 'whiteness' on the board where the C96 is. Like maybe there was some activity of some kind, like maybe a short. That's promising.

Also, there's a little piece of tape over the area where the cap is, easily removed. Is it 'easy access' because this cap tends to blow and often needs servicing? 

Also, will any 220uf replacement cap do, as long as the voltage is correct? Thank you.

davstev
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
davstev replied on Wed, Mar 17 2021 6:49 PM

I removed C96 and it is testing ok- 242uf on a cap rated at 220uF. Not perfect, but still ok I think.

Any other suggestions? Is the fuse on the underside the only fuse worth checking?

Thanks for your help,

David

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Mar 18 2021 8:01 AM

Check for ripple at the three large filter capacitors.

Martin

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member

A'm  trying to fix hiss sound on my BL8000 ...damn...after weeks of total non repair faze...i work again on that issue :(

BL are working ..but after a few minutes hiss sound start's to be more louder ,,,it's  really is annoyingGeeked

it's audible when the music isn't playing ...oh yeah ..maybe it's meant to be playing 24/ 7 :)

So...here we are...In Covid repair times..ha ha 

Hope any of you had that issue and and successfully repaired ?

...ok let's go on...

davstev
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
davstev replied on Fri, Mar 19 2021 8:19 PM

Thanks I will.

Also, I noticed that the little 4A fuse on the power supply board blew, so that is either the reason it won't turn on, or, a symptom of a bigger problem....

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Sun, Mar 28 2021 9:52 AM

All done..problem fixedBig Smile

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 7:02 AM

Just had to share this.

Owner stated that a hum was emitted from the speakers when he touched the Beogram metal surfaces.
Turns out, whoever did this mixed up signal ground and chassis ground.
I will put a correct DIN plug back on the Beogram cable, making the Beogram an intact Beogram again,
and then the owner can use an adapter if needed. 

Martin

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 8:34 AM
Creative to do that “conversion” rather than using an adapter Smile Was that an old container for analog film they used? Smile

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 6 2022 8:45 AM

Hiort:
Creative to do that “conversion” rather than using an adapter Smile Was that an old container for analog film they used? Smile

Exactly what it is.  Laughing

Martin

Page 6 of 6 (233 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS