Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 8000 Tonearm erratic behaviour

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

arml
Not Ranked
Frederiksberg
Posts 4
Silver Member
arml Posted: Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:01 PM

Hello all Beofolks,

Long time since I was here. Because of school some of my hobbies has been temporarily put on ice.

My problem is that when I press Play most often the tonearm will not go out to the disc. When I do a cold start it will only go about 1 cm from its parking place. If I keep trying the tonearm will gradually 'loosen' up and go closer to the disc. I can force the tonearm to continue to the disc by pressing the << and >> buttons. If I do this and then press Play the record will sometimes play or the tonearm will first go down but then go straight up again. Sometimes it plays for a while then stops and tonearm goes back to its parking place.

Ok, so what have I/others done to this record player? Today I cleaned and greased the.. eh .. yellowish metal contraption the tonearm assembly runs on. I used acid free sewing machine oil for that. It seems to run smooth enough. Using the Service manual I also realligned the readerarm and tonearm. What I did doesn't seem to have helped though. Some years ago the unit was re-capped and checked by none other than Dillen here on Beoworld.

What I noticed during service was that the rubber band btw the motor and the yellowish metal thingie seems to be a bit loose, sometimes the motor would run but the rubber band didn't seem to rotate. If I pushed a finger gently on top everything would begin moving like it should.

Could it be I need a new rubber band for the motor? Would that solve my issues? In my brain a simple rubber band wouldn't cause this type of problem.. But I've been wrong before.

Would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Mattias

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:23 PM

If the belt slips;
Either the belt is bad. If it's still the original triangular type, it will most likely be bad.
Or the carriage threaded shaft , bushing and steel rails will need cleaning and lubricating.

You already cleaned the threaded shaft and lubricated so my bet will be the belt.

Martin

arml
Not Ranked
Frederiksberg
Posts 4
Silver Member
arml replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:32 PM

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick answer! Yes, it is a triangular one so I guess it is original. Where do I get a new belt like that?

Mattias

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:47 PM

arml:

Where do I get a new belt like that?

Mattias

You don't.
I can supply a suitable square replacement, made for this particular purpose.
But I suggest you check the carriage once more.
Also look for stray objects, it's not uncommon to find foreign objects in the carriage area.

Did I service the whole Beogram or just the board ?

Martin

arml
Not Ranked
Frederiksberg
Posts 4
Silver Member
arml replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 9:27 PM

Hi again,

To be honest I don't really know what you did service just that it worked fine afterwards. It wasn't the tacho disc (already had the metal one) so it must've been some recapping. Maybe you checked the threaded shaft too, I found some grease under the shaft that can't be more than 10 years old. :-)

About the carriage, I don't know how to get in there really. Are there any tricks to that?

Mattias

arml
Not Ranked
Frederiksberg
Posts 4
Silver Member
arml replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 11:10 AM

Hi Martin,

I'd like to buy the rubber band from you. I need to try that.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS