Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The Greatest Band Ever

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich Posted: Fri, Apr 19 2013 1:15 PM

Interesting Kickstarter project:  The Greatest Band Ever Print.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

Received the print this past week.  ZOMG!  The Beatles won!  Shocked!  I'm shocked I tell you!!!!

bramble
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 397
Bronze Member
bramble replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 7:45 PM

After the rolling stones set at Glastonbury , and there shocking ticket costs......they should not be on that list!. :-) lol

Beovision 7 40 mk 5 ,beovision 6x3,   beosound 3000, beogram 3300 , 2 x lc2, 2 x beocom 1401, beocom 6000 x 2,  5 x beo4, 

, 4 x beolab 4's, form 2, h2, a2,a1 and a beolab 2 ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

bramble
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 397
Bronze Member
bramble replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 7:45 PM

After the rolling stones set at Glastonbury , and there shocking ticket costs......they should not be on that list!. :-) lol

Beovision 7 40 mk 5 ,beovision 6x3,   beosound 3000, beogram 3300 , 2 x lc2, 2 x beocom 1401, beocom 6000 x 2,  5 x beo4, 

Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:41 PM

Rolling Stones are great, but HEART is the best band ever. 

The Wilson sisters can still cane it after 40 years.  Pipes are in full form still. 

Please watch.  Nancy still an absolute powerhouse vocalist.  Have a nice Sunday!!

http://youtu.be/KxnOykUAfvo  absolutely flawless......

http://youtu.be/0xDRfL8Hyd4

http://youtu.be/mQDf4GQyXwc

http://youtu.be/vh5MYjNTUeA

http://youtu.be/WHpTrCNwIXM

Saw them live in Melbourne.  The girls kicked some butt.

Can't believe most of their good stuff came out before I was born.  who do the young ones have today.  Lady GOO GOO.  Poxy CRAP.  WhistleCryingSleepConfused

Robert Plant (Led Zeplin) even cried after watching Heart cover one of their songs.

The girls still look sexy.  Imagine Kylie trying to pull that off.  What a joke. 

Better than most of the new CRAP.  No other word for it.......

bramble
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 397
Bronze Member
bramble replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:51 PM

The video for alone......horse back.   Nuff said.  Magic lol

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 11:49 PM

Don't remember The Beatles ever being called a band.

They were a group.

Am I showing my age?

Graham

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member

Rich:

Received the print this past week.  ZOMG!  The Beatles won!  Shocked!  I'm shocked I tell you!!!!

A fellow music collecting friend provided me with the following quote.  At first, he thought I was the author due to the sensibilities and similar names:

"The Beatles are the absolute curse of modern indie music.   My favorite Beatle is Yoko Ono.  Without Yoko's influence, I don't think there would be any Beatles music I could listen to."

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:34 AM

Rex:
HEART is the best

Yes - thumbs up

spent this morning watching those clips on our BV8

BeoNut since '75

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:54 AM

Rex:

Robert Plant (Led Zeplin) even cried after watching Heart cover one of their songs.

There could be many reasons for crying...Wink Whistle

No - seriously...Heart is good. But I would not say they are the best band ever...

Anyway - It's a bit rediculous to appoint some band or singer or whatever to be the best in the World.
People are different with different taste.
How can anyone say what's the best..?
Is it the one who has sold most records / been played most on the radio / been most downloaded, or...Huh?
Is it the one who gets most votes in some random poll on the internet -or some magazine, or...No - thumbs down

If some person think that his/her's favorite band is the best - then it is the best for that person. Even if other think that it is cr.p...
You can never decide that just by voting...Is the majority always right..? I don't think so...Hmm

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member

Very well put.  This is the primary reason I find the arts in general much more enjoyable than sports.  A US football team is always going to have the same basic grouping of players at one time.  In popular music, a band can have a myriad of instrumental lineups leading to an original sound.

One of my favorite bands had a musical lineup of:  female vocalist, electric violin, and two bass guitars (and no overdubs).

Even bands with the same instrumental lineup can sound very different.  A good example of this comparison could be:  Motorhead, The Police, Rush, and Cream.

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member

Hi guys, I think there is a difference between your favourite band ever and the greatest band ever, regardless of whoever you choose as your favourite band they would not exist withoutTthe Beatles

The Beatles did not just change popular music as we know it forever they also changed society

when The Beatles conquered America everything changed, not just music

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 363
Bronze Member

biography of nancy wilson

I learned a tremendous amount early on." Wilson later remembered that she first set her heart on becoming a rock star at the age of nine, when she watched the Beatles' legendary debut performance on The Ed Sullivan Show. Nancy and Ann Wilson "were Beatles fans who wanted to be the Beatles, not be their girlfriends," Wilson said

biography of ann wilson

It’s difficult to overestimate the influence The Beatles had on Ann and Nancy Wilson. In the book, the Nancy Wilson describes it this way: “The Ninth day of February of 1964, a lightning bolt came out of the heavens and struck us. We had our life before February 9, and we had our life after.”
as for indie rock,  article is very long as you can imagine
I never fail to be amazed when some too cool hipster from my generation says the Beatles are overrated. It seems like I’ve been hearing it a lot lately and I refuse to accept this blasphemy anymore. I thought it was accepted dogma for everyone that they are the greatest band of all time but I guess as long as dissenting opinions and Pierro Scaruffi are still cool there will be kids in ray bans and Bon Iver t shirts trying to tell me the Beatles are overrated in between drags off of their American Spirits; heretics these days…

In response I’ve compiled ten ways the Beatles have influenced indie rock

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 363
Bronze Member
Chaka
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago
Posts 312
Bronze Member
Chaka replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 5:16 AM

Elephant, was that with apple TV?  I wish I could use it on my avant, but can't see anyway to do it.  No HDMI input.  Hunted on ebay for an adapter, but can't seem to find a suitable one.  There was one that was 50hz, avant is 100hz, not sure if it would work........

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 12:47 PM

Interesting that the first six bands are British! Is this a British survey or world wide?

Peter

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Rex wrote:

"Elephant, was that with apple TV?  I wish I could use it on my avant, but can't see anyway to do it.  No HDMI input.  Hunted on ebay for an adapter, but can't seem to find a suitable one.  There was one that was 50hz, avant is 100hz, not sure if it would work........"

A bit offtopic, but anyway - I do:

http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20679&PN=1&TPN=204

Post from 13 August 2013 kl. 13:20 

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

bidstonhall:

Hi guys, I think there is a difference between your favourite band ever and the greatest band ever, regardless of whoever you choose as your favourite band they would not exist withoutTthe Beatles

The Beatles did not just change popular music as we know it forever they also changed society

when The Beatles conquered America everything changed, not just music

http://blogcritics.org/concert-review-paul-mccartney-at-safeco-field-seattle-wa-7192013/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sรธren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Peter:

Interesting that the first six bands are British! Is this a British survey or world wide?

The revolution that came with the Beatles pulled a lot of other British bands with it, the US got lost in the new wave and didnt catch on until late in the 60th

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 8:43 PM
Peter:

Peter

Originated in the US. Open to worldwide voting.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member
MediaBobNY replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:16 PM

Jimi Hendrix was an American and Electric Lady Studios is still in business a few blocks away from me yet they're classified as a British band.  Good grief!

vikinger:

Don't remember The Beatles ever being called a band.

a.k.a.: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club *Band*   Wink

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member
Doonesbury replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:17 PM

Peter:

Though I've barely left the US, my favorite bands are almost totally British.  I guess to me, the UK bands have more "depth" and 'subtlety" and seem more open to changing the their sound as they go on.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS