Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beograms and Discwasher D4

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

beopaul
Not Ranked
Posts 83
Bronze Member
beopaul Posted: Sat, Mar 24 2012 9:27 PM

Anyone have any concerns over using the Discwasher cleaning brush or other cleaning systems that require you to put a drag on the turntable while it's running? I just picked up a BG5000 and I'm a little paranoid about breaking or stressing it. I'm also thinking of getting SpinClean for especially dirty albums, but that wouldn't be used very often.

I am a bit excited. I've been regretting not picking up a BG9500 when I bought my BeoCenter 9500.  At the time, I expected vinyl to be going the way of the 8-track tape. It'll be so great to control a record over the beolink system!  I picked up the BG5000 for $50 (US) minus cartridge, and now I have to wait for Soundsmith to send me a new SMMC4.

--Paul 

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

I have used a lot of cleaning methods, including a Discwasher D4, carbon hair brush and AM alcohol based cleaner without any mechanical problems at all on a Beogram 5500 (same drive system as a 5000), several Beogram 4000's, later 4000 models and 8000 models. The 8000 are a little jerky if strained, but normal considering the direct-drive design. The worst that could happen to your 5000 is that the belt could begin slipping which really isn't something to be concerned about Laughing

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 7:23 AM

The Beogram 5000 motor is a bit delicate.
I would never add any extra drag.
Why not clean the record before playing ? It won't get any cleaner anyways.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS