Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Controlling XBMC from BeoVision

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav Posted: Thu, May 30 2013 9:11 PM

As most of us know that neither BeoMedia or BeoMaster are suitable as media server and while B&O now pushes AppleTV it might not be for everybody and we'll never see something like Kaleidescape from B&O. Closest for me would be to run XBMC which can run on either Linux or Windows based system.

So my question is if anyone has looked into make it possible to control a XBMC unit via B&O PUC which would be quite easy there are plenty of nice USB-based IR-receivers available on the market and XBMC IR codes are well documented and easy to access. So it should be an easy step for B&O to support.

In my currently making use of WD TV which I love as it's well integrated with my BV and fully controlled via PUC. But, I'm looking at using an Intel NUC as primary media unit with XBMC installed.

Open for co-operation of testing and implementing so shout out loud here if you're interested of similar solution.

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Fri, May 31 2013 6:10 AM

Nice DIY project!

The Microsoft MCE 1039 is already listed in the PUC database, so that might work for you..

Mikkel Petersen
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Or "simply" go for Kaleidescpae, there's PUC for that, and you should be able to get even better integration with a MLGW and Crestron;)

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Or if you have a newer BV11 or V1 you can pull it directly from your PC to the TV (even wirelessly) and stream at your leisure via DLNA and UPNP. The newer BV's even mark your last watch point. Pretty cool and no need for PUC. 

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Fri, May 31 2013 5:27 PM

I use XBMC on a Mac Mini controlled by Apple TV PUC togehter with iTunes controlled via BeoPort and BMLink.

Music can be played; interactively via XBMC, via N.MUSIC command via audio master, via A.Aux command and iTunes remote app.

Movies and Videos via XBMC.

hfat

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

A jailbroken ATV2 with XMBC installed is easily PUC controlled.

Draw from a NAS to it - and to all other devices in your home..

Or stick to your 'favorite' WDTV Movie

A PC (with built in HD and cooling) is overkill for playing movies/music on a tv - except maybe the older MacMini (as hfat notes).

Why should B&O 'invent', what already exists? Not much business in making a box that only would sell some thousands. You must sell  some 100 thousands of such a device just to earn a little money.

If you wan't a media player in B&O style, go for the BV11/V1 and upcoming BV's...

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Fri, May 31 2013 8:49 PM

Built-in media players inside a TV are for me not an option. Bad interface, especially if you're used to XBMC or Plex, and way too limited to play any format you throw at it.

XBMC was the main reason I jailbreaked my ATV2, and made my MacMini useless as a mediaplayer. Only downside is 720p max. Not that bad, but still...

At the moment he NUC seems my best alternative to run XBMC and play 1080p.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Fri, May 31 2013 11:07 PM

Well, I'll choose to ignore the majority of the replies except for DoubleU as it's the only response which actually sticked to the topic. I'm not trying to alienate people; but to be honest; I didn't ask to suggestion to upgrade my TV-set to BV11 and I already made it clear that AppleTV is not an option as I don't have any Apple products and don't plan to get any and as well with the limit of 720p it's not for me. And for those of You who didn't bother reading up a bit on the Intel NUC might do so as it's far from being a full blown PC; if considered; then as much full blown Mac Mini.

Going back to the main topic on what is needed to get a XBMC to work with BV. As there are plenty of generic receivers available for both Linux and Windows it would be quite easy for B&O to create a PUC config to support XBMC. Actually B&O could even put together their own IR-kit to support standard PC hardware to be able to control XBMC.

I haven't searched that much yet in this forum; but are there any instructions on how to create PUC profiles?

• Filed under:
hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 6:09 AM

kimhav:
Going back to the main topic on what is needed to get a XBMC to work with BV.

You need an MCE USB IR receiver if not built in into your PC, like this one http://www.amazon.de/Remote-Control-Receiver-Emitter-Vista/dp/B00AYE6JDO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370063223&sr=8-4&keywords=mce+usb

This receiver works with Windows and Linux. To be controlled via BV you need the  Microsoft MCE 1039 PUC. 

hfat

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

I also think that it will be far easier, more futureproof and most straightforward to make XBMC behave like some already supported device, than to make B&O do anything about this. That's the beauty of open source...

--mika

musicsound
Not Ranked
Posts 41
Bronze Member
musicsound replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 10:59 PM

Is there a current listing somewhere of PUC codes that are now available for Beovision?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/wikis/puc/default.aspx

There is a tv - and there is a BV

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Oct 18 2014 12:45 PM

I am bringing up an old thread again, but it fits perfectly what I am looking for.

I am controlling XBMC (on Mac) with the Apple Remote PUC.

This works reasonably well, but I need to change the mapping of the keys (e.g., no key is currently mapped to stop the movie, only "pause" can be done).

Any idea what controls of the Beo4 the PUC supports and what the key name is?

Thanks in advance!

tkl95
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
tkl95 replied on Wed, Nov 12 2014 8:13 PM

Hi,

I'm using a dedicated mac mini, XBMC 13.2, Beo4 navigation.

Never had to map anything, "back" = stop movie for me 

matbkk
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member
matbkk replied on Sun, Dec 7 2014 9:13 AM

Hi Kimhav,

I have a Mac Mini under Bootcamp Windows 7 and I succeed in managing it with my Beo4.

I will create a new post about it.

Mat

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sun, Dec 21 2014 9:10 AM

Is anyone succeeded to have the Apple PUC running with XBMC/Kodi Helix 14.0 running on OSX Yosemite?

I have a BV5 and it used to work reasonably well. Now, I can only use up/down/left/right and basically all other keys stopped working. I changed too many things at once, so not sure what has been driving this.

If anyone succeeded using XBMC/Kodi Helix 14.0 it would eliminate one potential error. OSX Yosemite another one,etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Sun, Jan 25 2015 2:14 PM

Well, while I'm not using Apple but I'm running with Kodi v14 'Helix' on an Intel NUC i3 Haswell and using the NUC's CIR to integrate to a BV10 via the PUC's. So at least the Kodi code base should be good.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS