Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Mireille Mathieu

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf Posted: Sat, Jul 6 2013 4:11 AM

I am listening to an old cassette tape on my Beogram 8004 of my personal collection of Mireille Mathieu favorites.

Spectacular! Amazing, soul-fulfilling, oh what can I say, THE BEST! Lets have a Party !!!

Yet I hear from Jacques that Mireille Mathieu is not well thought of in France and I wonder, how can this be possible?

My tapes PROVE that cassettes are better than we were told, BUT that doesn’t explain the French indifference to what I would have expected to be a national icon like Edith Piaf.

I swear several of Mireille Mathieu’s songs reduced me, unexpectedly to tears…. and I am of the generation that was religiously taught men do not cry.

So the question that begs asking, does anyone else adore Mireille Mathieu’s voice and why do the French not share our adoration?

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Piaf:
So the question that begs asking, does anyone else adore Mireille Mathieu’s voice and why do the French not share our adoration?

Well yes I like MM, sweet voice, and she brings back some sweet memories from my youth. One of the reasons that she wasnt too popular in France was part political (as she was known as a pro Gaullist, the left wingers hated her) and part because she went international, toured a lot in the England, US and Canada, mid sixties she was very popular in Germany, and did a lot of recordings in German, which of course wasnt seen well by some Frenchmen, for known reasons.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 7:50 AM

Hello Søren,

With my interest in history you would think I had a better view of the de Gaulle era. I just remember him from WWII where I found him incredibly pompous.

I am a bit surprised that Mireille Mathieu would involve herself in politics which is never a good mix with the arts.

I have something like 27 of her albums and I’ll admit about a third of them are in German. For the record her German was far better than her English.

My Beomaster 2400/Beocord 8004 were giving me absolute fits today, but in the end everything worked out fine and the Mireille Mathieu “concert” made for excellent company with my unpacking.

Point of fact, a couple of times Mireille Mathieu really got to me; I choked-up and got all teary-eyed. TOTALLY UNEXPECTED, yet oddly pleasant!

Thank you for the enlightenment as to the French distaste for one of their treasures.

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 6:30 PM

You two turned me on to her and now I have three of her LP's plus a Nana LP

But no way she ever supplants the super sexy Francoise.

I also kind of think Sylvie was hot back in the day "Comme un Garcon"

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Back then (60´s) you could still be popular if the voice was good, today you need a body, show it off, and then a voice. Someone once described MM as the small French girl with the terrible cook pot haircut. Nana and MM were both religious, MM furthermore very shy, her shyness never let go. I agree with you on Francoise Hardy, sexy and the voice really gets to you, but you cant compare her to MM and Nana, they are in style and music, different. 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Forgot to mention, MM or Nana is at the moment my, "quiet Sunday morning music"

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 9:46 PM

Ricardo,

I am delighted that I introduced you to Mireille Mathieu and Nana Mouskouri, the latter I actually met and shared a lengthy conversation about her life growing up in Greece, her father the town projectionist, and her mother who was also a singer, if an undiscovered one. I can tell you more about her, if anyone is interested.

As for Mireille Mathieu, she had a fine figure that could be “heightened” for today’s world of music. Further her shyness is well known, but I firmly believe that there is still room for innocence in the music world….. when genuine, it is something you can not attach a value to.

A comparison between Mireille Mathieu and Nana Mouskouri is virtually impossible and probably pointless. Mireille Mathieu was INTENSE with a sincerity that is almost unique. Nana Mouskouri is more Mediterranean, a woman of passion and a mesmerizing stage presence.

A better comparison would be Mireille Mathieu and Edith Piaf. The GREAT Piaf could stand absolutely still, always in black, and hypnotize with her hand movements alone….. add the earthy voice coupled with her life’s experiences and the combination was devastating, nothing less. Piaf is timeless in a way that Mireille Mathieu isn’t.

That said, Mireille Mathieu had a playful and disarming charm that few could ever hope to equal, including Edith Piaf. Where Piaf and Mireille Mathieu come together is their ability to “rip your heart out,” different style for sure, but equally compelling.

Mireille Mathieu was regularly featured on the Andy Williams Show and fit right in. Can you see Edith Piaf, had she lived a bit longer on the Andy Williams Show?

Mireille Mathieu, early in her career sang La Marseillaise with a full orchestra and the Eiffel Tower as a backdrop. Showy no question, but damn effective. I can see Piaf doing the same thing…… actually I would have loved to have seen that, the great entertainer center stage.

And Søren, Andy Williams is perfect for “quiet Sunday morning” music; Mireille Mathieu is far too exciting and provocative to be background music. “May Each Day” and “More” would enhance any quiet morning in a most positive way!

Lastly did anyone notice that Mireille Mathieu completely avoided singing any Edith Piaf songs until well into her career? Probably a good choice, but when she sang Piaf, she did so in HER style which was very, very good. It wasn’t Piaf, as only Piaf is Piaf, but Mireille Mathieu held her own. Imagine the courage it must have taken to record the songs of a national icon? Not everyone would agree with that statement, but I for one am glad Ms. Mathieu took on the challenge. Smile

Jeff

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 2:06 AM

I think Ms. Matthieu was cute enough for todays teflon audiences, Adele is no 10 and she made it. So maybe the young audience isnt as suferficial as us old farts thinks. Want to take a bet on who the young people are still listening to 30 to 40 years from now. Adele or Lady Gaga.

I might be "branded" a poser or tasteless nutella job but.......... I never have really liked Edith Piaf.

some more goodies from back in the day how about RIa Bartok, Christy Laume, or Mary Hopkins,

Now as for more current talent I always have liked Keren Ann and Coralie Clemet with maybe a bit of Sarkozy's home wreckin' trophy wife mixed in.

Charlotte needs to stick with film.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 2:25 AM

Hi Ricardo,

You know, everyone’s taste is different and Edith Piaf is most certainly not for everyone. In life we make these choices and they determine our character and who we are. For me Edith Piaf sings to my soul, it is almost like she “knows” me, odd as that may sound.

I also love ABBA, but they merely enchant, they do not bond with your being. Piaf does.

I confess I don’t “know” a single singer you mentioned, but talk about age OMG, today I was listening to Gene Pitney, The Crystals, The Everly Brothers, Lesley Gore, and The Four Tops. At this point I don’t even want to THINK about age, let alone talk about it.

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Well guys, we have our tastes, Edith Piaf was born a generation too early, the standing still on stage and not move to much was typical for the time, mostly because of stationary microphones, but who cared mostly, there were no moving pictures. But I enjoy her voice and her style.

As for MM her German period is absolutely Sunday morning music, ABBA, were one of the first group to integrate the women voices as a kind of instruments into the music, I really enjoy this, you dont listen too much to the lyrics but to the music as a whole.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 3:37 AM

Hello Søren,

While the microphone was on a stationary shaft, it could always be removed to be carried about the stage. Elvis used such a microphone and to good use.

No, Piaf was used to a small stage; she was not limited by the microphone. Later in her career Edith Piaf was placed on large stages, but that is not how she started out, in poverty, and then there was the war.

I am genuinely not sure what you mean by Mireille Mathieu’s “German period.” True she sang often in German, but also in English and Spanish. Plus it was the same song she sang first in French, so I don’t see it as a “period.”

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Just for fun, because the tape is sitting in front of me, do you remember “Ich gehe mit dir,” “Du liebst nur einmal,” and possibly least, “Er hat mich geliebt?” All were popular in Germany in the early seventies. The latter was by Bettina Storm, apparently a one song wonder.

Jeff

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 3:47 AM

Ella has them all covered. Best female vocalist of the 20th century IMO.

Hows about Mary Roos or Heidi Breuhl.

I think later a mix of Marielle, Nana and Astrid Gilberto might be in order,

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Guys, thank you for introducing me to Mireille Mathieu ... I ended up buying her "Chante Piaf" from iTunes plus another that is a mix of songs by her or Josephine Baker.

I have now listened to Mireille's rendition of "Exodus" three times !

However I could not find any "CD/LP" on iTunes that was obviously from a "German period".

Ricardo:

I never have really liked Edith Piaf.

some more goodies from back in the day how about RIa Bartok, Christy Laume, or Mary Hopkins

I will confess I am a fan of Edith ... and Mary Hopkins.

Coincidently someone shared a youtube link of Mary early today, and so I was listening to several of her records on Youtube but could only find "Those were the Days" on iTunes !!! go figure .....

Ahh, here is Mireille with "Non, je ne regrette rien" ... time to close one's eyes and LISTEN

BeoNut since '75

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 3:59 AM

Need to find the LP "Postcard".  Has about everything worthwhile by Ms. Hopkins.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Ricardo:
I think later a mix of Marielle, Nana and Astrid Gilberto might be in order,

This one of my favourite mix albums - most of the recordings I have rated as 4 or 5 stars ...

Deep within the Corners of my Mind           Melody Gardot
To Love You All Over Again                          Madeleine Peyroux
Hit the Ground                                                  Lizz Wright
Let there be Love                                             Laura Fygi
Deborah’s Theme                                            Sissel
The Boy from Ipanema                                    Diana Krall
The Shadow of your Smile                              Astrud Gilberto
All In One                                                            Bebel Gilberto
Prayer                                                                  Karen Matheson (with Secret Garden)
May It Be                                                              Hayley Westenra
Misty                                                                      Sarah Vaughan
Hit the Road, Jack                                              Shirley Horn
Baby ain’t I good to you?                                   Helen Merrill
Someone to watch over me                               Ella Fitzergerald
Mad about the Boy                                               Dinah Washington
Come Rain or Come Shine                                Billie Holiday
Don’t Explain                                                        Nina Simone
At Last                                                                    Etta James
Nobody’s Fault But Mine                                    Beth Rowley
Now we are Free                                                 Lisa Gerrard

BeoNut since '75

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I know that she was not limited by the mic., but it was the style in the 50ies, move your arms nothing else, Elvis was the wild man who started making "sexy" movements on stage, at the time when she got hits in Germany (early sixties) I was much into Rolling stones and the British wave, but one of her greatest hits there was Acropolis Adieu, Weisse Rose und so weiter, Some of the Danish artist of the time tried to master that in Danish, OMG what disasters, but even so they went on the charts, Seventies I was into Credence and MM and Nana came only much later in my life, one girl I always followed from late 50ies until today is Benda Lee, Oh yes I´m still rocking, on the platter now Rolling Stones, Around and Around, one of the first LPs they put on the Danish market. Original, saved since I bought it 67 or something.

How did your move go, all installed now ?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Ricardo:

Need to find the LP "Postcard".  Has about everything worthwhile by Ms. Hopkins.

Thanks for the tip !

(I discovered my error ...  search for"Hopkin" not "Hopkins", search for "Postcard" not "Postcards" ... *doh*)

But what a dilemma ... to buy the 1969 release ... or the remastered release, with extra songs including "Those were the Days" in an additional four languages ?

And now I am in the right zone of the iTunes catalogue I am spoilt for choice !

BeoNut since '75

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

elephant:
This one of my favourite mix albums - most of the recordings I have rated as 4 or 5 stars ...

top notch, only missing Last Call, I think by Ella, "you dont have to go home, but you cant stay here."

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

elephant:

including "Y Caneuon Cynnar"

her early recordings in Welsh !

I will search for your Ella recommendation now ... and the I had better stop !

BeoNut since '75

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

elephant:

elephant:

including "Y Caneuon Cynnar"

her early recordings in Welsh !

I will search for your Ella recommendation now ... and the I had better stop !

You are the wrong place we only play vinyl here Big Smile, just changed to Stones, Exit on Main Street, their most drugged period, (only on CDAngry)

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Søren Mexico:
You are the wrong place we only play vinyl here Big Smile, just changed to Stones, Exit on Main Street, their most drugged period, (only on CDAngry)

Stick out tongue well I can't find Ella "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here" anyway, and now it's time to "Hit the road Jack" ....

BeoNut since '75

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

elephant:
Stick out tongue well I can't find Ella "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here" anyway, and now it's time to "Hit the road Jack" ....

The titel is" Last Call", but hit the road JackBig Smile

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 6:49 AM

Søren Mexico:

I know that she was not limited by the mic., but it was the style in the 50ies, move your arms nothing else, Elvis was the wild man who started making "sexy" movements on stage, at the time when she got hits in Germany (early sixties) I was much into Rolling stones and the British wave, but one of her greatest hits there was Acropolis Adieu, Weisse Rose und so weiter, Some of the Danish artist of the time tried to master that in Danish, OMG what disasters, but even so they went on the charts, Seventies I was into Credence and MM and Nana came only much later in my life, one girl I always followed from late 50ies until today is Benda Lee, Oh yes I´m still rocking, on the platter now Rolling Stones, Around and Around, one of the first LPs they put on the Danish market. Original, saved since I bought it 67 or something.

How did your move go, all installed now ?

Hello Søren,

My God how I LOVE and ADORE Brenda Lee! Fantastic women, what a voice and what a stage presence! If you like Brenda, make sure you check out Leslie Gore….. wealthy NE gal, not southern, but similar vocal intonations.

Me, I gravitate towards to Motown sound: The Supremes, The Four Tops, and The Temptations.

The move, hummmmmmm. It takes 6 weeks to pack this household and 3 weeks plus to unpack. Essentially finished the second and third floors today leaving the first floor for Sunday.

I am pleased (pleasantly surprised) to report that the BM 4400 still functions after being boxed up for a month. I redesigned the dining room setup utilizing three unused speakers to good effect: the S120.2’s are now elevated and my 8-Track is off the floor. (Truth is the S120.2’s are now more annoying than ever, but the highs are more pronounced. Good grief what lousy speakers these are!)

We had zero damage and since I cleaned/polished everything before packing, the house now absolutely sparkles! I think we are ready for the white glove test.

Jeff

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 2:31 PM

How could one possibly go wrong with Star, Might be one of the best by the lovely Ms. Hardy. I could listen to the track "Chanson Sur Toi Et Nous" over and over and never tire of it.

Also Mdm. Hardy also penned a lot of her music herself and collabrated with most of the best French songwriters of the 60's 70's and nto the 80's

She was not simply a just another pretty face in front of the microphone. She was also the first female artist (ever) to have her own recording label.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS