Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What are you WATCHING "right now' ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 745 Replies | 5 Followers

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Duels:
matador43:

Started Devs after your advice: very addictive so far, nice find, thank you.

I’m pleased you’re enjoying it.

Done. I coincidently ended the last season of Westworld. Looked like two treatments of the same subject.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sun, May 10 2020 10:23 AM

Castle Rock Season 2. Nice weird sticky atmosphere and beautiful photography.

I'm splits on Castle Rock: the two seasons were a little bit hard to follow but at the same time, magnetic.

It's also funny to find connections or easter eggs to other Stephen King's stories in almost every shot!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jun 1 2020 5:34 PM

Almost done with "Upload" on Amazon. It's great, funny, in a dark humor cynical way, really lampoons the modern world in a lot of ways. Some very funny stuff in it, it's about a young man who is killed in an accident with his self driving car and his girlfriend has his consciousness uploaded to a virtual afterlife home. As if the whole upload thing wasn't enough, it appears he was murdered.

Second season of "Homecoming" also on Amazon, it takes what was setup in the first season and fleshes it out nicely. I still find the non-linear editing and use of split screen to be masterfully done, and the ending is both satisfying and very, very ironic.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jun 2 2020 5:12 PM

The Expanse season 3 on Prime.

Now I would really like to read the books. 

Jacques

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jun 6 2020 12:08 AM

chartz:

The Expanse season 3 on Prime.

Now I would really like to read the books. 

I've read all the novels and several of the short novellas though not all of them yet. You get a much richer and deeper understanding of things when you read the books, they can get more into history and background on not only the characters themselves but also why the politics are the way they are, etc. Well worth the read. One of the short novellas is called "The Churn" and it describes how Amos Burton got from the slums of Baltimore to where he is, or rather from the slums to him leaving planet for training as a mechanic. You can see elements of his story in various scenes in the series, but reading it all put together in one place, well, he had a horrific childhood and upbringing and it makes his character a lot more understandable.

The series is excellent and captures the books very well, the actors do a great job portraying the characters, the producers chose well.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jun 10 2020 11:27 PM

I just discovered that the 3rd season of "Midnight Diner" has shown up on Netflix. A delightful, warm, very human show set in a late night diner in Japan. The diner is open midnight till morning, and the stories revolve around the different customers and their interactions. Just a great, touching series.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jun 13 2020 4:24 PM

Got up this morning and on a streaming scifi TV channel, Comet TV, the original "Gojira" is on. What a wonderful morning, relaxing, watching the birds, drinking excellent coffee, and watching "Gojira." Life doesn't get much better than this!

The first Godzilla film is notable as being a very dark, serious movie, as opposed to what Godzilla became later. Hard not to see the lingering effects of WWII and the atomic bomb on the Japanese psyche in the film. Made in 1954. A true classic.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jun 20 2020 5:31 PM

Watching a really bizarre Japanese anime on Netflix called "Parasyte." In it these alien parasites drop down from the sky as seeds or such, and take over people by burrowing in and eating the brain and head. After which the head is shape shifting and they eat other humans. Our hero gets one in his right hand, it didn't make it to his head. He wakes up and his hand has a mouth in the palm with eyes on the ends of his index and third finger and it's talking to him! Only about 4 episodes in but it's really peculiar and kind of fun. Very different.

Jeff

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Jun 21 2020 8:31 AM
Jeff:

Almost done with "Upload" on Amazon...............

Thought I’d give this a try. About halfway through the first season and really enjoying it.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jun 21 2020 3:31 PM

Lots of ironic social commentary about the modern world in Upload. It's unusual in that it's very cyberpunk, shows the downside of tech and such, while remaining upbeat and funny. Most often cyberpunk is very dark and dystopian. Glad you're enjoying it.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jul 6 2020 9:19 PM

Second season of Hanna has dropped on Amazon, interesting, not quite as much as first season so far but I'm early into it.

Jeff

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Jul 7 2020 11:34 PM
Jeff:

Second season of Hanna has dropped on Amazon, interesting, not quite as much as first season so far but I'm early into it.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus.

Need something new to watch. So will probably give hanna a try.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 8 2020 8:26 PM

I'm 5 episodes into the new season now, and it's very good. Takes the story in a slightly different direction, not just constant trying to evade capture for the heroine, but very good psychological piece in a way.

Late night a science fiction streaming channel here, Comet, has started showing episodes of "Lexx." Truly one of the most creative and deranged shows I've ever seen, quite humorous and clever.

Jeff

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member
Buena Vista Social Club by Wim Wenders

And this is preceded by more than 20 movies and documentaries by Wim Wenders, which are presented by ARD Mediathek in Germany until 14th of August.

Last month I watched Der Himmel über Berlin and yesterday In weiter Ferne, so nah.

Peter the biker

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Jul 22 2020 9:26 AM

Upon your advice, watched Upload too! Very funny, lots of details. Dead like me crossing Disney's Ralph 2.0. Definitely a good catch, Thank you.

The Widow - 8 episodes beginning to end - Beautiful locations, adventure, Nice score. Eated it in 3 rounds.

The Stranger - A little fuzzy so far (ep 4) and too much stories at the same time (Netflix flaw) but you want to know what's behind all this si I'll keep watching.

Sad Julia Roberts is not cast on Homecoming S2: I liked her in that show. Will watch anyway.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jul 23 2020 1:14 PM

I'm a big fan of the cyberpunk genre in both books and films, but I have to say what was really refreshing about "Upload" was that it had a sense of humor while making its social commentary. Often cyberpunk stories are grindingly dark, depressing, and dystopian. I like that stuff most of the time, but it was a delight to see it done without that for once.

"The Widow" is on my list, need to get to that soon. Of course by now about everything is on my list, my queue is huge. I'll get to it all before the sun blows up I'm sure.

Agree about Julia Roberts, I thought "Homecoming" was one of her best performances.

Watched the movie "Bartleby" which of course is based on the Herman Melville story "Bartleby The Scrivener" updated to modern times. Dark humor and commentary, but very well done. I would prefer not to...

Jeff

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Jul 23 2020 3:28 PM

Jeff:
"The Widow" is on my list, need to get to that soon. Of course by now about everything is on my list, my queue is huge. I'll get to it all before the sun blows up I'm sure.

As a joke and to echo a recent thread that did drift away, I would like to mention that part of your sentence may be interpreted as pretentious by Frenglish people with twisted mind as myself! Big Smile

Sorry but It needed to be said. (Please moderators fell free to remove this useless post!) Wink

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jul 23 2020 4:15 PM

SurpriseBig Smile

Not that I'm one to brag about how big my queue is. Stick out tongue Or compare it with anyone else's. ROFL!

Ain't language great?

Jeff

Regina Bauer
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member

So many movies and series here. Now I will end up watching a lot of them Erm..

But honestly looking forward to try some of your recommendations!

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sat, Sep 26 2020 8:07 PM

Right now,live from Struer,box match Hrgovic-Kartozia

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member
NASA TV: Perseverance landing on Mars….

Edit: added first pictures after landing. Team excited like a youngsters’ soccer team after winning a local tournament.

Peter the biker

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Feb 19 2021 9:59 AM

I watched. Uneventfully boring and a waste of money.

Jacques

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Warming up for tonight: https://youtu.be/Cv6tgnx6jTQ
leojames
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
leojames replied on Mon, Jan 17 2022 6:25 PM

Been watching vikings series for past few days and now can't get over it. The ultimate battle scenes and politics that is been shown in this series, is genius. Their weapons and armors are really cool. Just thinking how do they manage to carry these heavy armors. Who else is Vikings fa here??

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jan 18 2022 7:12 AM

I tried. I don’t like the sheer violence. I gave up after two episodes. 

Jacques

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Jan 18 2022 12:24 PM
leojames:

Who else is Vikings fa here??

Yes I’ve watched it all and I really enjoyed it.
Page 19 of 19 (746 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 | RSS