Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What are you WATCHING "right now' ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 745 Replies | 5 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant Posted: Mon, Apr 2 2012 9:18 AM

As discussed in the main forum, how about a "What are you watching" thread.  Unlike music it is not necessarily "right now", but is perhaps your film discovery of the week, or your current addiction to a series Laughing

Note that this is not the famous "I spotted 3 pieces of B&O kit in the [insert name] movie" thread (which does need resurrecting here!).

So to kick off, our current addiction is working our way through "The Wire" - to say the least it is depressing, and highly unlikely that a piece of B&O kit will ever pop up - most of the protagenists seem to cruise the streets with large SUVs equipped with duff-duff speakers ! 

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 6:06 PM

Haven't seen much great in movies lately, other than "Trollhunter" but that was a while ago. Watched "Thor" but it was just a so so action flick, good set/costume design though.

Two series I watch on the pay/subscription premium channels, "Spartacus" on Starz just finished it's 3rd season, and "Game of Thrones" just started its 2nd.

Spartacus is rife with brutal, graphic violence and explicit sex. Cool It's nowhere near as good as "Rome" was, nor as accurate or thoughtful, but fun. I wind up rooting for the Romans over the slaves though, they are a lot more interesting and do lots more backstabbing and scheming.

Game of Thrones is quite good, will be interesting to see how it progresses. I need to read the books it's based on though.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 7:30 PM

Jeff:

Haven't seen much great in movies lately, other than "Trollhunter" but that was a while ago.

Ah, I love "Trolljegeren" (Trollhunter)! Not many Norwegian movies are known outside Norway!

Watching season 1 of The Walking Dead at the moment. Quite grotesque, but seems good.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:01 PM

Trollhunter was one of the best, most creative and enjoyable movies I've seen in a long time. I love watching movies that delve into other country's traditions and legends, and it shows once again that most big budget, heavy CGI laden movies are not very good, tons of money for special effects, nothing for story and plot. Independent films are usually better and more thought provoking.

I saw two others recently, The Sleep Factory, I think that's right, Mexican cyberpunk, very innovative and original. Mexicans get cyber implants so thay can wire into virtual machines and do work in the US. They said the US finally found a way to get Mexican cheap labor without the Mexicans. Fascinating take on cyberpunk.

The other was "Everything Is Illuminated." Starts out as a very funny story about an American Jew going to the Ukraine to look for his grandfathers village, turns into a very sad and poignant story about a village wiped out by the Nazi's in WWII. Lots of things to absorb, laugh at, and get teary eyed about in this film.

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Not watching anything right now (my sons "stole" my HDMI cable for their stand at PAX East (http://east.paxsite.com/bis) but that's another story), but this week's TV rag has an article about what movies are ideal for testing an AV setup ... so here's their list:

• Ronin, 1998 for reproduction of detail and in-situ voice track recordings
  • Titan A.E., 2009 for stressing the sub-woofer in the ice fields
  • Saving Private Ryan, 1998 for challenging fast action video and audio
  • Crimson Tide, 1995 for realism of the thunder storm
  • Koyaanisqatsi, 1992 for testing the reproduction of music (if you like Philip Glass ...)
  • Hanna, 2011 for the sound track
  • Outsourced, 2006 for the reproduction of autumnal colours
  • True Lies, 1994 for sound (the jet scene towards the end)
  • Heat, 1995 for reproduction of sound from an open environment (the airport scene at the end)
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day for seeing if the sub-woofer can reproduce the Harley-Davidson kick-start
  • Rendezvous, 1976 for sound reproduction <= this is short that is great for opening team meetings with an adrenalin rush

The list also identified notable music video disks:

1. Diana Krall in Paris, 2001
  2. The Police: Certifiable, 2008
  3. Carmen, 1984 <= I have the CD, and wish I had the video in something other than VHS !
  4. The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over, 1994

I must confess I only have the ones I have bolded Surprise Sad

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I watched "Caller" last night on the T Box (i love the T Box) .  I love the way the movie was drawn out and the eeriness of the colours used in the filmography (is that a word).  

Cnet Australia uses Mission Impossible 3 in particular the bridge scene to test the moire in the railings and for its fast action.  They also look on Batman Begins to see if the puffs of steam and the night sky above Gotham look rather true.

PS Hope they're liven it up at PAX EAST. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

mickhoog:
PS Hope they're liven it up at PAX EAST. 

Thanks !!

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 5:12 PM

I just watched a 2006 miniseries of The Ten Commandments that was very good. Instead of an over the top epic like the old one it was very realistic, the actors did a good job of portraying real emotions. When Moses is complaining to God about his lot he is really distraught and weeping, great acting. 

Saw Ca$h, pretty good movie about a couple who find a bunch of stolen money then meet the criminal who wants it back. Good psychological drama. 

Jeff

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Sat, May 12 2012 9:47 PM

Been hooked on the BBC show "Quite Interesting" (QI) lately. It's hosted by Stephen Fry and together with four panellists (Alan Davies and three guests) he talks about funny things from history and things everybody thinks are true, but actually are not («general ignorance» as they call it).  The comedians are (mostly) funny and things they talk about are, well, quite interesting.

Fry and Davies are always funny and when they are joined by the right people it can be hilarious! And you learn a lot of funny facts you can bother all your friends with. I highly recommend it!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, May 13 2012 12:08 AM

Magnus:

Been hooked on the BBC show "Quite Interesting" (QI) lately. It's hosted by Stephen Fry and together with four panellists (Alan Davies and three guests) he talks about funny things from history and things everybody thinks are true, but actually are not («general ignorance» as they call it).  The comedians are (mostly) funny and things they talk about are, well, quite interesting.

Fry and Davies are always funny and when they are joined by the right people it can be hilarious! And you learn a lot of funny facts you can bother all your friends with. I highly recommend it!

yes we watch it too - less so now - but I do feel sorry for Alan, he is generally at the bottom of the ladder !

BeoNut since '75

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 11:24 PM

Hmm Hmm -not many posts on this thread...So I'll make some input here. Hopng that more Beoworlders will contribute...Wink

I've just started re-watching the 'Alien' movies (just bought the BluRay box).

And then I've just finished the last (10'th) season of 'Smallville'.
Yes - you might have guessed it - I like science fiction and superhero movies/series Big Smile

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jun 29 2012 1:33 AM

Loved the first three Alien films, can't stand the last one. That line " quite the little predator isn't sha? We're all very proud" was a keeper though. 

Pone of the premium movie channels I get just showed all three versions of Blade Runner back to back one night, original release, first director's cut, and the final cut. I have to admit I stayed up and watched all three. 

Right now I'm watching Das Boot, the version in German with English subtitles, incredibly good movie. When a war movie can get you rooting for your historical enemies, that's a great film. 

Recently I watched A Dogs Breakfast, an absolutely hysterically funny movie about a guy who accidentally kills his sisters fiancé while trying to murder him, yeah, murder him. This guy is obsessive enough he separates out his Fruit Loops cereal into separate bowls by color! Really funny. 

Jeff

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Jun 29 2012 8:03 PM

I no longer have a TV but sometimes borrow the living room to watch a movie after the family has gone to sleep. To help get the thread rolling, here is my addition-

Hannah

This movie is from last year I believe and I have had it on DVD for a long time and only recently had a chance to watch it. For those of you that like action, this should be on your 'to-see' list.

Right now I'm listening to the sound track - also outstanding.

Beo4 'til I die!

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Fri, Jun 29 2012 9:22 PM

Evan:

Chemical Brothers if I'm not mistaken. Yes, good stuff Smile

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jun 29 2012 10:38 PM

Great movie, Hannah, but you had to bring it up. Now I've got that irritating tune the evil German sex club dude used for his shows stuck in my head again. Took me weeks to get it out of my head the last time!

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jun 30 2012 1:31 PM

Jeff:

Great movie, Hannah, but you had to bring it up. Now I've got that irritating tune the evil German sex club dude used for his shows stuck in my head again. Took me weeks to get it out of my head the last time!

LOL

yes a good movie too

busy watching replays of ... LOST ... just done s1e1 & s1e2

BeoNut since '75

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 3:01 AM

beocool:

Evan:

Chemical Brothers if I'm not mistaken. Yes, good stuff Smile

Brilliant stuff! Just need to find this on a CD Cool

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 3:19 AM

Jeff:

Yes, that is a distinctive tune! I forgot all about it until I started going through the tracks. At any rate, I hope you recover quicker this time! Laughing

Beo4 'til I die!

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
Posts 155
Silver Member
I watch a lot of Japaanese films and sometimes find some other gems from Asia. Recently a Chinese film was recommended to mee by a Japanese friend. It is called In the Mood for Love by director Kar Wai Wong. I had already seen his film 2046, a great film. Both have beautiful cinematography and the films are set in the 60s with gorgeous costuming reminescent of American made films of the 40s and 50s. The main actor has a slight resemblance to the American actor Clark Gable. In the Mood for Love is about the sexiest movie you will ever see without any physical sex in it. Incredibly hot however in the sexual tension that the director builds up between the two lead characters who are married neighbors who have found that both of their spouses are having an affair with each other. 2046 on the other hand is much more sexually explicit but not over done, not any serious nudity if I recall. It is just as gorgeous as In the Mood for Love and the stories are connected. I highly recommend seeing both.
tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 3:20 PM

jfrancis:
Recently a Chinese film was recommended to mee by a Japanese friend. It is called In the Mood for Love by director Kar Wai Wong. I had already seen his film 2046, a great film.

These actually belong to the few films I've bothered to go see in a cinema. I second the recommendation - but it will be more interesting to see them in the opposite order, because as you say, the stories are connected!

--mika

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 9:15 AM

"Designer Travel: NYC" -- very interesting listening to designers talking about the new world -- some runs are 20 units, some are in excess of a million.

Give the recent depute about the B&O PlayMaker I am finding the dialogue more intertwining than I normally would.

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 3:22 PM

Last week I had a touch of food poisoning, after a rough night I was laying on the couch, unable to move much, with the TV on. The Sony movie channel I get on satellite has been showing the films of Stanley Kubrick, one of my favorite directors.

Love Dr. Strangelove, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Spartacus, etc.

But, this day they were showing Barry Lyndon. Yes, the photography is stunning, the use of the f0.7 lens to shoot in candlelight alone was marvelous. And it's still about the most boring movie I've ever seen. But, I just lay there and watched it...and now instead of the song from Hanah in my head I have that damnable, plodding, classical wandering piano piece from Barry Lyndon stuck in my head! Urk.

Other than that, I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the one with Daniel Craig. Excellent movie, perhaps the best I've seen in a year or more. A movie with an actual plot and writing and dialog and no special effects! I'm going to have to put the three Swedish movies of the trilogy in my Netflix que to watch them, I hear they are very good as well.

I also rewatched Watchmen recently, the directors cut. That is truly an amazing movie, but very dark. Any movie that has a line like "This awful city, it screams like an abatoir full of retarded children" in the first 10 min gets your attention.

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Jeff:
the films of Stanley Kubrick, one of my favorite directors.

Similarly there has been a celebration of Stanley's movies on a channel here - that was coupled with a very good documentary on his life that was very interesting.  

Jeff:
Yes, the photography is stunning, the use of the f0.7 lens to shoot in candlelight alone was marvelous.

But those scenes did make me wonder if they really did have THAT many candles at public functions or whether Stanley simply needed them despite the f0.7 -- if they truly did need that many there must have been many fires -- even wig fires Big Smile -- and seemingly no extinguishers readily to hand. 

Jeff:
I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the one with Daniel Craig. Excellent movie, perhaps the best I've seen in a year or more. A movie with an actual plot and writing and dialog and no special effects!

Well the title sequence is a stunning special effect movie in its own right !

Jeff:
I'm going to have to put the three Swedish movies of the trilogy in my Netflix que to watch them, I hear they are very good as well.

You will not be disappointed - we consumed all three in one marathon back to back sitting.

What may disappoint you is that some of the richness of detail about Lisbeth and her thoughts in the second and third books does not make it to the screen.  If you have not read the books you will not notice the absence - and I struggled with how one could have conveyed those elements without making the films even longer (conversely sacrificing other elements would not be an option !)

Jeff:
I also rewatched Watchmen recently, the directors cut. That is truly an amazing movie, but very dark.

Agree.

BeoNut since '75

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 7:32 PM

Jeff:

Other than that, I watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the one with Daniel Craig. Excellent movie, perhaps the best I've seen in a year or more. A movie with an actual plot and writing and dialog and no special effects! I'm going to have to put the three Swedish movies of the trilogy in my Netflix que to watch them, I hear they are very good as well.

You will like them! The original Swedish version is just better. I really liked Daniel Craig in the 2011 version, but was a bit disappointed with the performance of Lisbeth. The Swedish Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth played with much more intensity and persuasiveness. (more attractive too, but yes that aside)

And yes, may be I'm biased, because I found it a bit cheap to make a remake after only 2 years. Wink

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 11:22 PM

Sounds like I definitely need to watch the Swedish versions then! Can't wait, need to finally get around to watching the DVDs I have from Netflix so I can get some new ones. I also need to read the books, I think I'll have to grab them for my Kindle app. 

Wig fires...shades of the Michael Jackson Pepsi video. Candles were very expensive in the past, so I do think it would have been very unusual to see so many routinely deployed. 

I saw an intriguing vampire movie called Perfect Creature. Kind of an alternate reality film, very steampunkish, where vampires were the Brotherhood, they were the church, and people donated blood like tithing, and the vampires saw it as their responsibility to protect and nurture humanity. 

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Jeff:
saw it as their responsibility to protect and nurture humanity. 

shades of Wells' Time Traveller ?

BeoNut since '75

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
Posts 155
Silver Member

DoubleU is correct about the Swedish version of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" being superior. It often is the case here in the U.S.A. that a foreign film gets remade and does not live up to the original. Sometimes it is because certain individuals here don't want to "read a movie" that is subtitled. What a shame because the original is often superior despite casting a known celebrity actor in the remake. Two movies come to mind, the Japanese movie "Shall We Dance" which had Richard Gere in the U.S. remake and the French "La Femme Nikita" remade in the U.S. as "Point of No Return" with Bridget Fonda. Nikita also later became two different TV series here with other actors playing the part. If you have not seen either of the original I mention you are in for a treat if you do so. 

John

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Watching NASA JPL live internet broadcast (we have an App for that) of Curiosity's 7 minutes of terror on our A3 Smile

Lots of cheers and celebration as the signal came through about a safe touchdown - and then the first two thumbnail pictures were greeted by pandemonium in the control centre Big Smile

On a more prosaic note, watched a Danish "behind the scenes of the royal family" program last and spotted a B&O Overture behind the Crown Prince in one interview

Oops, NASA just announced their website has gone down because of the number of hits ... promise, it wasn't me Smile

So here are this first two pictures from Curiosity ... via our A3, our own little Mars Mission Control Smile

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 2:55 PM

I found out that I can stream the three Swedish Girl With The Dragon Tattoo films from Netflix to my iPad. I've started watching the first, haven't gotten very far into it, stopped at the interview with Lisbeth and it's interesting how differently she seems to be portrayed so far. Granted I've not watched much of the Swedish one yet, but so far at least Lisbeth seems to be more aggressively confident and less, well, damaged than the portrayal of her in the English language film. It'll be interesting to see if that opinion holds as I watch more of it.

Hey, maybe this is a good opportunity to rationalize the decision to purchase an A3? Smile

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:19 AM

Jeff:
Hey, maybe this is a good opportunity to rationalize the decision to purchase an A3? Smile

Absolutely !!

Last night I walked cliff through debugging his over the phone (needed a mains power connection during the install and activation of the Beosetup App) - and now he is a happy camper Smile

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

The end of the 2012 London Olympics on my fantastic 10-46.

I hope they play the Franch and Australian anthems, as I haven't heard them up to now :-/

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 11:07 PM

Chris,

It's been amazing!  We were there the other Friday and my team gave away 200 £50 iTunes vouchers - let's just say we were very popular :)  Damn, that's almost 10k gone from my marketing spend but one of our nicest promotions!

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Watched the nice rock and pop show aka final ceremony of the Games of the 30th Olympiade of modern times.

Turned up the volume a little bit on my system (BV 8-40, ARCAM Solo with passive Pentas and as rear speakers BL 4000) listening to Queen, The WHO and quite a few other acts ...

I think the sports people in the stadium had some fun too.

Peter the biker

Peter the biker

BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 482
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 12:09 AM
The live concert from Adele in the Royal Albert Hall London.

A very good recording of sound and picture.

Adele is singing her best songs before a live audience with her band. It gives us goose bumps . . . so pure.
butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 12:16 AM

I am bird watching on sky channel 909 lol

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 4:22 AM

Just finished watching Cowboys And Aliens, pretty good action popcorn movie. Quite a fun ride. 

Right now I am watching Videodrome, David Cronenbergs demented masterpiece, and one of my favorite films. Truly surreal and thought provoking. 

Long live the new flesh!

Jeff

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Just watched Wrath of the Titans.  I felt Clash of the Titans was better. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 1:34 PM

Saw "The Dark Knight Rises" at IMAX ... no B&O equipment this time ... probably a good thing: I would have cried if another Beosound 9000 had been trashed.

The sound was terrific - made me hunger for some Beolab 5s at home Laughing

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 4:04 PM

I recently watched two films based on Russian roulette, "Live" and "13." 13 was about a guy who accidentally gets involved as a player in a bizarre game of Russian roulette run by underground types, with complex betting rules. Live is about a TV network that decides to put on a game show where they get 6 contestants, give their back stories in carefully crafted videos, and each of the 5 "winners" gets 5 million dollars each, while the loser and any family get zip. Most of the movie is about the process of selling this idea to the network and FCC, and it's as cynical, snarky an indictment of television networks as anything I've seen since Max Headroom. 

Jeff

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 7:43 PM

elephant:

Saw "The Dark Knight Rises" at IMAX ... no B&O equipment this time ... probably a good thing: I would have cried if another Beosound 9000 had been trashed.

The baddies watched news on a Beovision 10 and a 7, if I remember correctly. Good movie!

Page 1 of 19 (746 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS