Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 3000 crackles (?)

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand Posted: Mon, Apr 9 2012 8:43 PM

Hi,

In the old forum I opened a topic about one of my Beolab 3000 making crackle sounds every now and then.

I have replaced the cables meanwhile. This took a while to order at my B&O dealer and the cables I have received are actually from Bosscom (white 7m powerlink 'thick' version).

Unfortunately also with the new cables the problem did not go away. Display work like a charm though and that is a nice bonus.

My assumption is that I have a problem with the powerlink connection on the speaker. Unsure

Question 1

Would it be worth trying to switch left and right speakermodus on the speaker? I.e. is it likely that my speaker would behave differently being fed with a different signal? Erm..

Question 2

Daisy-chained or direct connected, in both situation the powerlink socket # 1 is used. Would it make any difference if I connect to socket # 2, can that be 'tested' without damaging the speaker? Unsure

Question 3

I am not a technical skilled person (see questions above) is this a job for a (B&O) service center to repair or can I get help from you guys by posting pictures? If yes, what exactly is needed to show on the pictures?

The crackle sound just comes and goes ... no pattern that I have noticed so far. So I am being 'Chinese Water Torture'd * by my Beolab ... waiting for the next 'crackle' to come.

The Discovery Channel series MythBusters investigated Chinese water torture in the season 2 episode "Brown Note, Water Torture", and found that dripping water on the forehead, by itself, was not particularly stressful. Immobilizing the subject along with a variable water drop schedule proved the most stressful of the methods they tried, and cold water intensified the effect. The key part of this is that the water drop was made to be randomly timed. Thus, the victim would not know when the next drop would come.

All advise is welcome.

Thanks!

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 10:17 PM

I'm not a technical expert -but at least I can answer your question #2:

You can always try to use the other sockets. Just remember to turn the power off (pull the mains plug) when you pull out/put in the PL plugs.
I doubt the problem can be solved that way -but you can always try...

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 7:59 AM

When are you getting the noise in the speaker's, is it after some or a lot of use ? Is it in both? Are they daisey chained

Is the crackeling like the effect of having a mobile phone near your speakers ?

No idea on water torture :-0

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:07 PM

@ Steffen .. thanks I will try

@ Valve 1 .. the crackle sound is similar to 'trash can' sound on (apple) computer / the sound of taking a piece of paper and to form a ball before throwing it into the trash,   or similar to the sound of some bad-connection in a wire (eg. with a guitar vs amplifier). It is not the sound of mobile found close to a radio or something it is more like a burning fireplace (but then louder). The crackle is one of the speakers only. Daisy-chained they are but I have switch speakers, meaning that both have been 'first' and no difference.

Since the crackle sound is coming randomly it is very hard to capture on a video or something, but I will do my best. It is after some use but can also not appear for some hours.

All in all highly irritating.

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member

Somehow I seem to take my time with my posts. One month has gone again but here it is the long awaited video-footage with the Beolab 3000 crackle sound. Listening back to it it sounds more like a gun shot Surprise but sometimes the noise is there longer ...  like a 'distortion'.

So, please have a good listen to my excellent 16 second YouTube clip .... and enlighten me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPcABq7_Sng

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Wed, May 16 2012 9:30 PM

Anyone?

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Thu, May 17 2012 3:10 AM

Hi Ferdinand,

I think I have actually experienced the very same symptom in my system. While I'm not sure exactly what speakers are affected, I think I know what the problem is.

These are just my observations and will sound very bizarre...

Many times, on many days and for a long time now, I have been experiencing the same problem on my monster system (BS4500+various amps and speakers). 

It happened in what I thought were random intervals until one morning during my routine and I visited the closet. I flipped the light switch off and... SMACK! A pop just like those you observed came through my speakers. Now, this closet is quite a distance from the stereo, both physically and in circuitry. So, to test my curiosity, I did it again, only to be met with another startling SMACK! 

I have since stopped using the closet light but every now and then, I hear it and can only imagine that it is another circuit somewhere in the house being flipped off and causing mayhem. 

I personally think there is a ground issue of some sort as the problem switches do not have a grounding path(!). I am going to test my hypothesis even further and replace the switches with better, safer models and see if it improves (and hopefully eliminates) the problem.

So play around with your house wiring and see what you come up with.

Good luck.

BTW: John Mayer Yes - thumbs up Not enough of him going around on this forum!

Beo4 'til I die!

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Thu, May 17 2012 6:12 AM

Evan and Ferdinand- a good idea to check all your power sockets on the loop you have your equipment on are properly "tight". Another consideration is what else have you got on that circuit. Easy to find out - just flip which ever fuse is at the mains and see what else is not working. All my av gear is on a dedicated circuit, easy for me as I was rewiring the house .

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:26 PM
I'll be doing more investigating, that is for sure.

I have been wanting to add a dedicated circuit for a while, just haven't had the time.

Beo4 'til I die!

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:45 PM

Thanks Evan and Valve1,

I am not a technician but how can I eliminate a ground issue if the speakers only have a 2 pin plug and are not grounded themselves to begin with?

The power circuit(s) in my apartment are far from ideal. Despite everything being new-build in 2008 I experience power-drops (i.e. lamp brightness fluctuating) and -due to the layout of the apartment- my speakers are always within one meter of a power socket.

I will do some investigation and will report back later here (read: in two weeks or so) and maybe in my new apartment from August one everything will be better?

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Thu, May 17 2012 1:23 PM

I didn't recognize the sound at first, but when Evan told his story I remembered that I had the same problem!

My setup was two Beolab Pentas connected to a Beosystem 7000 and when I turned the lights off in the next room they made a similar sound, only a little louder. I don't remember if it was both speakers or just one.

I first thought it was the Pentas, but the fault was there even after a big service, so I did some investigation and found out that it didn't happen when only the Beomaster was connected up. But when the whole Beosystem was connected together it happened. I don't remember if I concluded with more than that...

I moved apartments and. at the same time, reconfigured my setup (the speakers are now connected to a BV3 and the Beosystem to that) and I have not had the problem since.

It could be some neighbour turning his lights on and off. I would try to see if it's the speaker or the condition, i.e. switch speaker roles (left/right) and outlet.

Good luck!

Magnus

PS: On another note, in this apartment my LC2's work very poorly, probably because some mains interference from a device that some neighbour use. They work splendid at night! Technical stuff ain't easy!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, May 17 2012 2:28 PM

This may sound silly, but try rotating one or some of the power plugs 180°. Apart from the UK and a few continental European locations, it doesn't usually matter which way neutral & live are connected, but this will still invert the phase of any incoming mains interference, and may help - or make things worse, but it doesn't cost anything to try!

--mika

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS