Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Nest bought by Google for $3.2bn

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger Posted: Mon, Jan 13 2014 11:20 PM

For the Nest enthusiasts..... Google is now in control.

Graham

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 12:54 AM

That's beyond funny.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 8:57 AM

Now THEY know when you are not at home!

--mika

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 9:01 AM

2nd biggest purchase after their Motorola, hopefully they don't go up in smoke.  

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 4:06 PM

When your smoke alarm goes off it will be able to send a google map and directions to the fire safety guys, and they will actually get there. Not like this...

Kramer drives the fire truck

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 4:16 PM

Google - Don't be evil, that's our job!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 12:19 PM
symmes:

That's beyond funny.

The End Of The World Is Nigh

BeoNut since '75

Gatex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Gatex replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 12:59 PM

NEST is the better beo essence :-D according to google you will be soon control your music libary from everywhere in your house.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 6:18 PM

Imagine a Beosound 5 controller, no screen, with an embedded screen and an improved interface to make that small of a display usable to select music. Doesn't have to be as elaborate as the current BS5 interface, the tablet app would handle that, but allow more interaction, such as select playlist, artist, etc. Scroll thru albums artwork.

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 6:50 PM

Jeff:

Imagine a Beosound 5 controller, no screen, with an embedded screen and an improved interface to make that small of a display usable to select music. Doesn't have to be as elaborate as the current BS5 interface, the tablet app would handle that, but allow more interaction, such as select playlist, artist, etc. Scroll thru albums artwork.

http://myoliveone.com

Graham

(Delivery promised Feb: original date Sept 2013.)

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 7:12 PM

vikinger:

Jeff:

http://myoliveone.com

Graham

(Delivery promised Feb: original date Sept 2013.)

The 3 biggest lies:

1. The check is in the mail

2. I gave at the office

3. My Olive will come in a month

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 7:24 PM

Big Smile

Jeff

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

What's with that Olive?!

Olive actually screwed me over with one of their music ripper server before. I can't get the Wifi to work, can't transfer the ripped music files to a computer, the CD drive scratches my CDs and is not able to retro-retrieve CD cover arts. 

I hope the new versions will be much better. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, May 19 2014 9:32 AM

Nest is now available in the UK and seems to be available from many outlets, including John Lewis and B&Q who both seem to have large stocks.

It looks and feels like a really well made quality product, and I have toyed with the idea of replacing my current radio linked programmer/ thermostat with a Nest. However, apart from the advantage of being able to set your heating remotely via iPad or Android App, the Nest thermostat does seem to have one big disadvantage. It relies on sensing your presence in a room so that it knows to keep the heating on. But what if you frequently use another room leaving the room with the Nest unoccupied for periods? In that situation you are going to find the whole house heating system has been shut down.

I am currently inclined to stick with what I have, but I have to say that the Nest looks a really high quality product with obvious development parallels at Apple and B&O.

Graham

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Mon, May 19 2014 11:44 AM
The sensing portion of the Nest is for setting the automatic setback program. You can disable that and create your own program without issue.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS