Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

beocenter 3500 newbie motor replacement

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

jimbo7stars
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Silver Member
jimbo7stars Posted: Fri, Apr 20 2012 10:19 PM

Hi, i've just managed to find a replacement motor for my beocenter 3500. Its been out of action for a while so was wanting to get it installed as soon as possible. Is this possible for someone whos not done any sort of repairs or servicing to a stereo before? I was also wondering how to dismantle the unit properly.

any help is very appriciated, Jim.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:01 AM

Welcome to Beoworld !

It's not very difficult to replace the motor in the Beocenter 3500, but not particularly easy either.
The service manual (downloadable from our main website for silver and gold members - easily
worth the small membership fee) will tell you how to get in there.
You will need the most basic tools, plus a small hex etc.

Make sure you have a correct motor. If I'm not mistaken, two different types of motors were fitted.
Indeed that was the case in Beogram 3000 which is the deck used (production change happened
from serial number 180284 and numbers run across production models so check yours) and the
two are NOT interchangeable without replacing the start relay too and the wiring is slightly different to suit.
The later motor was a 117V 60Hz motor that could NOT be wired for 220-230V use
so if fitted in Beocenter 3500 it will run off a 110V transformer winding. The 60Hz motor was not fitted in
european models (we have 50Hz here) but your replacement motor could be a 60Hz type. You will
have to compare the two in depth before eventually replacing.

Another thing is that most problems with these motors are down to dried lubricants and
any motor of the same type and age will have the same fault or at least be on the edge,
regardless of it being used or not. At some point B&O issued a tech note (MEM-6) stating that
B&O could no longer guarantee a long life time for these motors since some of them, even those in
B&O spares stock could be dated back to 1974. Needless to say, B&O no longer supply any parts
for these machines but most motors can be repaired.

What are the symptoms of your motor ?
Slow startup and difficult (or seized) speed fine adjust ?

Martin

jimbo7stars
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Silver Member

hi martin thanks for your help..sorry i have'nt got back to you sooner. was away all weekend. the symptoms were that it started running at the wrong speed. it was too slow on both 33 and 45 rpm. my local b&o shop put me in contact with someone for repairs. it came back saying he could do nothing unless i found  a replacement motor. not sure if this was really the case or if they did'nt want to take on the work. but now the motor has completly stopped functioning. it just makes a wirr and clilcking noise.  nothing moves. i will download the service manual. only reason i had not done so already was because i found a manual somewhere else that contained only the electrical diagrams. and did'nt want to pay for another if it was going to be the same thing. if it turns out the motor is wrong for my model i guess i'll have to find someone to take on the work as i'm thinking its proably a bit much for me. thanks again, Jim.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS