Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 3400 tonearm does not raise when "stop" is pressed.

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Vox_T
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Vox_T Posted: Thu, Mar 6 2014 6:18 PM

When I hit "start" the tonearm moves over to the correct spot at the start of the record and lowers. However, if I hit "stop" the tonearm does not raise it simply drags across the record and then raises when it reaches it's resting spot. Any ideas? Thanks! 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Mar 6 2014 9:53 PM

Common problem with many of the Beogram decks.
It's a matter of dried lubricants in the lift/lower mechanism.
This point (where the red screwdriver points to) will need a drop of sewing-machine oil:
Ideally, the whole thing should be taken apart but I really would advice against it unless you are
more than familiar with this type of tonearm and its small steel ball auto-anti-skating bearings.
Instead, leave the oil on the ridge overnight and push/pull the center brass rod up and down gently.
Let time do its job and let the hoil soak down and soften up the dried stuff.
If you take off the operating arm from the center cam wheel, it will ease the job. Note how it has a tab
that runs in the cam wheel.

Martin

Vox_T
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Vox_T replied on Thu, Mar 6 2014 10:23 PM

That did the trick! Thank you!

haveamartini
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

I bought the 3400 recently at an estate sale. I don't think it had been played for years. I got it for $15 because it 'wouldn't power up. What they didn't realize was that you had to have a record on it before it would power up.

I've been looking to replace my NAD turntable and the 3400 sounds as beautiful as it looks. Sweet.

And, thanks to your post, I was able to get the tone arm to move up and down.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS