Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 9000 DEAD and I mean DEAD

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice Posted: Thu, Mar 6 2014 8:48 PM

Hi guys

My latest plea of help concerns a BS9000 Type2561  i have just been given this as a spares if you can repair happy days.  The unit is in pieces at the moment with no visual indication of life, no red STBY  zilch. To get deeper into the  issue I examined the power input from mains to unit and found the mains relay PCB 5 with no diode D3  to the relay and a burnt flex from PCB5 to 34P16. Buying a new PCB 5 and lead £42!!!!! reconnecting it up to the unit I attempted to power up and it blows fuse F1 on PCB 5 other fuses on PCB 34 are ok. No 5v at PCB 34P16 pins 1-2.  At PCB34 P1 pins 1-2 I have 10.2vAC nothing at TR21 I have the schematics but could do with any pointers , I also replaced the bridge rectifier GBU8D same as removed. Any help please

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

If you have the service manual then it's a question of following the diagram. Most likely a shortened diode or Mosfet.  Keep in mind that the psu is controlled by the uP. But first you'll need the 5V. So search the cause of the shortcircuit.

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 11:02 PM

Hi beobuddy

Thanks for your reply, I am pleased to say that I have at last tracked down a dry jiont in the P34 TR10 area so now I have my stable 5V supply. And. A STBY light ! I am going through the diagram bit buy bit. My cause of the Mains relay fuse blowing (100mA)  is somwhere in PCB P9  as soon as I connect it to motor controller PCB 35 then it's lights out. I will keep you posted as you were kind enough to respond....Fingers crossed  BTW what's uP?

regards Maurics

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sat, Mar 8 2014 1:24 AM
Microprocessor

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

cozza
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
cozza replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 10:47 PM

Short circuit mosfets on the motor control board?

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 7:15 PM

You are one very cleaver chappie!  that's exactly what it was, also there was a dry joint on the 5v rail to supply the fuse on the relay PCB it's now up and running  so now I have two of them!!!! BS 9000 That is  thanks very much for the help guys so very much apprechiated... Maurice

cozza
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
cozza replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:36 PM

Well done! Congratulations Big Smile

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 12:31 PM

Nicely done!

Did you check any diodes around the Mosfet? Apart from rectifiying they protect the Mosfets. But then again, if they fail it will end up as a shortcircuit.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Fri, Mar 14 2014 6:56 AM

Maurice:
 so now I have two of them!!!!

You can never have enough of these icons.

Congrats on saving one more.Yes - thumbs up

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Sat, Apr 25 2020 7:44 PM

Hi All

Hoping for some hints here :)

I also have a totally dead MK1, and I have a few questions.

1. Can I do fault finding with the PCB3 completely out of the unit. Only supplying the 12V to the board, and no other connections ?

2. So far, I have tested it outside the unit. And I have 12V on all LM3578 pin 8's, but they all also supply 12v back on pin 7. Is this normal ?

4. I cannot find 5v anywhere at all, is seems the 5V supply is totally dead.

5. I dont know much about the LM3578, how are they supposed to work, do they need any oscillation input or something I should look at on a scope ?

5. I have the service manual for the MK1, but it is missing the circuit diagram for power supply. There is a block diagram, but it is not of much help. Anyone have the missing diagram ?

6. It states in the service manual, that if 100/120hz is missing, the product will not operate. I would assume that somewhere, even with the board out, there must be 5v to power the std.by / CPU and so on ?

Any helpful tips on where to start is much appreciated. :)

/Weebyx

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Mon, Apr 27 2020 4:35 PM

You should feed the board with 11-20V AC and not DC. You won't measure all the voltages all the time. The processor controls each line.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Apr 27 2020 9:25 PM

Beobuddy:

You should feed the board with 11-20V AC and not DC. You won't measure all the voltages all the time. The processor controls each line.

I use the trafo from the 9000 as power source. and measure 12vac after the rectifier, after that no voltages anywhere other than the 12vac at the LM’s pin 8?

There is no 5v anywhere near the processor, so I guess that the first 5v line is down. Can you point me to where the base 5v for the processor should be found ?

thanks 🙏🏻

/Weebyx 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 4:01 PM

Weebyx:

12vac after the rectifier,

/Weebyx 

I sure hope not!

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 4:07 PM

You should approximately measure 16V DC at the drain of Tr37.

I assume that you've taken out the PCB completely? When not. Take out the big ribbon cable, which leads to the motorcontrol. When the motorcontrol is shortned, then the PSU doesn't start up. But with a defektive motorcontrol the 5V powerline mostly the general fuse (in the 230V section) has blown.

Measure after Tr37 if there is a D22 that's shot.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, Apr 28 2020 7:03 PM

Beobuddy:

I assume that you've taken out the PCB completely? When not. Take out the big ribbon cable, which leads to the motorcontrol. When the motorcontrol is shortned, then the PSU doesn't start up. But with a defektive motorcontrol the 5V powerline mostly the general fuse (in the 230V section) has blown.

Thanks, and I mean 12VDC ;) Sorry...

Yes, I have the board out completelly, only connected with the trafo and PCB5(which I dont think matters, but i can be wrong).

I will check around TR37.

/Weebyx

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, May 12 2020 8:25 AM

Weebyx:

Beobuddy:

Thanks, and I mean 12VDC ;) Sorry...

Yes, I have the board out completelly, only connected with the trafo and PCB5(which I dont think matters, but i can be wrong).

I will check around TR37.

/Weebyx

Just a quick update.

The unit is back to life, but without knowing exactly what I did !! :)

After desoldering D22/D30 to make sure they worked, and putting the original components back again, the unit came to life, however, the issue is that when it get 220v powered on, it clicks 3 times with the relay, instead of the single 1 time it should.
After this weird startup, the unit works 100% 
So I suspect that the 5v is not stable from the startup.
I have changed the following, but nothing has changed.
3C83
3C85
3C96
3C100
3C94 with a standard, non-smd cap.
D22 with standard SS34
D30 

Anyone has experienced something like this ?

/Weebyx

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Tue, May 12 2020 9:38 AM

Have you checked the voltage lines, which should come up after 2-3 seconds. 
Check the first main line voltages +12V/-12V /+9V first. They are there a few seconds during the startup routine.  

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, May 12 2020 10:38 AM

Beobuddy:

Have you checked the voltage lines, which should come up after 2-3 seconds. 
Check the first main line voltages +12V/-12V /+9V first. They are there a few seconds during the startup routine.  

I have checked them, and they seem to be there in the beginning, and then fade out, at least if the PCB3 is out of the unit.

How should this be tested with PCB3 in the unit ? I was thinking about removing bottom plate, attach lid and close it manually. Then put it up against a wall so it is easy to measure voltages from the underside of PCB 3?

This way all startup routines should complete without problems ?

I forgot to mention that I also have changed C142/C143, both of these were leaking out the bottom. I did not have 33uF, so they are now 47uF, but same 16v.

But since the unit works 100% after the 3 clicks, I would say that 12 and 9v lines are working correct ? Sometimes I get the single click only, but have not been able to reproduce it consistently.

/Jacob

Teyelvis
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
Teyelvis replied on Wed, Dec 30 2020 10:03 AM

Can I swap out a mk1 psu with a mk3? 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder