Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 7000 Troubleshooting

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Brian
Not Ranked
California
Posts 72
Bronze Member
Brian Posted: Tue, Jan 22 2019 6:46 AM

After almost five years of waiting and wanting, I finally treated myself to a Christmas present and bought a matching Beogram 7000 in black to go with the rest of my 7000 System. The good is the unit is in very good cosmetic condition and the seller packed it very well. It arrived from Germany, so it survived a trip half way around the world without any damage.

The bad, the seller didn't put the chassis in transport position or disassemble the platter. Parts got loose during shipment. I found the cartridge loose inside the player. But overall, I am happy with the seller and understand that things happen during shipment, especially international.

I think I managed to get the player working, but there's a couple of outstanding issues:

No. 1 is the sound signal is very weak and has a lot of noise. I have to turn up the volume very high to hear any signal. The needle skips very easily. I am not sure if the cartridge is bad, or if there's something else wrong with the beogram? I'm running an MMC-2 with 1g of force.

No. 2, the sub-platter wobbles slightly. I suspect the spindle is not centered on the axis of rotation, or may be bent. I carefully sanded down where the sub platter was rubbing against the chassis, but that is only attacking the symptom and not the root cause. I would prefer to get the spindle centered and eliminate the wobble. Does anyone know how I can fix the subplatter? Or is there anywhere I could send it for service?

I posted a short video of the beogram in action so you can see and hear both problems. Sorry about the poor quality video in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfrrY90e16s&feature=youtu.be

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated. I am looking forward to having a complete System 7000 up and running soon.

The next thing on my B&O bucket list would be an Attyca stand. They're very rare in the U.S., so I may build a replica instead...

Thanks,

Brian

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
Posts 383
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Tue, Jan 22 2019 8:16 AM
Hi Brian

the sound is bad because the suspension of the cantilever is probably worn out. It’s a common issue. Or something happened when it was kicked off. Hopefully you have clicked the clear guard upwards.

And the platter may have a loosen bearing. That can be fixed with superglue
Dennis
Not Ranked
Vancouver, Canada
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Sat, Dec 21 2019 5:31 PM

1. I bet my money on that the needle is dirty. I suggest you watching this YouTube video to try cleaning it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgYwD8ZylbA

If it doesn't help, what I understand is that they don't make those needles anymore. There is a guy in Denmark who restores them for around 400 USD. 

2. I have the same issue. Do you have a B&O store close to you? I would start by asking them. 
This post might be able to help you out as well: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/6633/59661.aspx#59661

I haven't tried it yet, might get to it today

Update! 

Followed the instructions from the link and it worked :) 

BeoMedia
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 100
Bronze Member
BeoMedia replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 1:13 PM

I also have a BeoGram 7000 and it functions well. However, the small stop blocks in rubber that sits in the two outer corners of the dust shield have dried up. From service manual I see the partnumber is 3010007 but I suspect these can't be ordered anymore.

Anyone with a good tip as to a compatible rubber stop I can buy please?

Brian
Not Ranked
California
Posts 72
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Sat, Sep 25 2021 7:44 PM

Sorry for this old thread. After over two years, my Beogram 7000 now working. I shelved the project and had my Beosystem 7000 in storage. A job change, and a move later, I set up my 7000 and decided to get the Beogram working.

The problem with the sound quality was the suspension in my MMC 2 cartridge had failed. Sound-Smith rebuilt it for a reasonable price. The needle tip was in good condition.

I was able to fix the other problem with the sub platter scraping the chassis, by carefully disassembling the unit and reassembling it. The only outstanding question is the brass cylindrical bearing that holds the sub platter is loose against its sub chassis. Is that supposed to be? There was no way of tightening it. The whole Beogram could probably use a professional readjustment. But it's playing 33 RPM LP records for me now. I'm listening to Benny Goodman as I type this.

Thanks.

Brian Moore

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS