Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Upgrade beomaster 5 harddisk

rated by 0 users
This post has 210 Replies | 11 Followers

DocLeisure
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member

Hi MircoHH,

I have tried the EVO and the Pro. The Pro unfortunately has had the same booting Problems as the EVO. Even if the Pro Drive is a little better, it is far away from being reliable.

I could only manage to clone HDDs. They booted and behaved normal. I also cloned a 2GB HDD with an embedded Flash. It booted, but behaved strange. Occasionally reboots, no Covers, etc.

As I own one of the first BS5s, I think, I have one of the first Mainboards, which I would think are the cause of the booting Problem. If there are newer drivers around, they could fix it.

If someone could help with this that would be highly appreciated.

NB: Does the HH in MircoHH point to Hamburg (Germany)?

Vintage_B&O
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 303
Bronze Member

Hi DocLeisure, 

yes, HH point to Hamburg, Germany :-)  I am living in Hamburg. 

I have one of the first Beosound 5, too. Tomorrow my SSD disk will arrive and I'll try it. Do you know, if B&O changed the motherboard of the Beosound 5?

Geerings,

Mirco 

DocLeisure
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member

Hi MircoHH,

as far as I know there are at least two Versions out there, because of some weeknesses of the first version: (http://archivedarchivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/30233.aspx #16)

regards

Stephan

Vintage_B&O
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 303
Bronze Member

Hi Stephan, 

thankyou for your answer. I wrote a mail to Bang & Olufsen and I was told, that the latest version of the OS is 7.01. The update can be done with a service tool.

Can anybody get this service tool? 

greetings

Mirco

Vintage_B&O
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 303
Bronze Member

Hi Stephan, 

thankyou for your answer. I wrote a mail to Bang & Olufsen and I was told, that the latest version of the OS is 7.01. The update can be done with a service tool.

Can anybody get this service tool? 

greetings

Mirco

DocLeisure
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member

Hi Mirco,

I don´t think, updating the OS will solve your problem. My system version is:

Application: 7.03.01.1542

main firnware: 1.38a

boot firmware: 0.04a

ml firmware: 2.36

mb bios: 1.15

OS Image 6.05

OS Update 7.03

And as you know, I have the same issues you encountered. The last hope I have, is getting newer drivers for the SATA-Controller on the BeoMaster5 mainboard.

If the service tool would update theses drivers, you are on the right track, but setting the OS Version to 7.01 (or later) does not do the trick…

Best regards

Stephan

Vintage_B&O
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 303
Bronze Member

Hi Stephan, 

it worked. I just installed the SSD And my BS5 is like a new one, really fast :-)

think, the only problem was the samsung evo. 

Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 1,059
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 8:16 AM

Great news Mirco ! Yes - thumbs up

What is the brand and model of your SSD ?

Can you really feel this change ? Faster than with the HDD ?

ultraviolent
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Bronze Member

Hi all,

I have to refine my post regarding the HDD upgrade.

I have the same problems with the Samsung Evo 840 like you describe...

Everything works fine once the BS5 runs but if it reboots itself ( although I have set the Automatic upgrade option to off ) the system hangs in the startup screen from time to time.

If I manually reboot / hard reset the Beomaster 5 it boots normally without a problem...

This is really strange, normally something works flawless or not at all but this behaviour confuses me... I have checked everything I know, BIOS is okay, HDD serials are the same as original and so on... must be something with the SSD itself ( controller / firmware etc. )

Regarding my previous post, I can NOT recommend the 840 Evo Series at the moment for the Beomaster 5 HDD upgrade!

Hope you have better results with other SSD brands and post them here as I def. not want to go back to a spinning HDD

Best regards

Stephan

DocLeisure
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member

Hi,

I have the same issues with a "Samsung 840 Pro Series" SDD (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009NB8WTI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). With the EVO SSD I only got two boots out of ten tries. Hard reset or reboot made no difference.

If it boots up, it is fantasticly fast and wonderfull. But unfortunately the whole System seems not to be reliable anymore.

Best regards

Stephan

Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 1,059
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 2:28 PM

Thanks guys for your feedbacks.

We're now waiting for Mirco's post about his new SSD...

ultraviolent
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Bronze Member

Any word on a SSD that works or a solution for this?

I think of installing the freaking slow spinning HDD again because the SSD not booting problem pi**es me off from day to day....

Stephan

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Oct 20 2014 6:14 PM

I haven't yet tried replacing the hard disk in my BM5 for an SSD but have been looking through the BIOS settings in case there was anything there that might shed some light on the issues.

One thing I spotted was a setting for 'DRDY_Timing' which by default is set to 'Optimize'.

I found the following information about this BIOS option online:-

DRDY Timing

Common Options : Slowest, Default, Optimize

Quick Review

This BIOS feature determines how quickly IDE or Serial ATA devices in the system are made available to the host controller after they execute their read or write commands.

When set to Default, the IDE or Serial ATA device will retain its default DRDY timing.

When set to Slowest, the IDE or Serial ATA device will use a slower DRDY timing. This increases the time for the device to be ready for the next command, after it completes its task.

When set to Optimize, the IDE or Serial ATA device will use a faster DRDY timing. This decreases the time for the device to be ready for the next command, after it completes its task.

For maximum performance, you should set this BIOS feature to Optimize. This allows for faster access to the IDE and Serial ATA devices, improving their performance.

However, if this results in crashes or data corruption, you should revert to the Default setting. You should only set this BIOS feature to Slowest in rare occasions where the IDE or Serial ATA device actually requires a longer time to be ready.

Would one of you who has swapped the drive for an SSD and is having problems like to try changing this setting to 'Default' or even 'Slowest' and report back as to whether it makes any difference?

Martin.

adro
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
adro replied on Tue, Oct 21 2014 7:44 AM

Hi.

I can confirm that I encountered the same problems with the Samsung 840. So I swapped it with an Crucial M500 480GB. The Crucial is working without any problems. Since this SSD is slightly smaller then my original 500GB hard drive it was a little more work to set it up. Just using the "clone HDD" is not working.

Atle.

Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 1,059
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Thu, Oct 23 2014 1:46 PM

Thanks Atle,

So, do you find that your BS5 is like a new one : really fast and fluid ?

Pity the clone process doesn't work ! Sad

DocLeisure
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member

riverstyx:

I haven't yet tried replacing the hard disk in my BM5 for an SSD but have been looking through the BIOS settings in case there was anything there that might shed some light on the issues.

One thing I spotted was a setting for 'DRDY_Timing' which by default is set to 'Optimize'.

I found the following information about this BIOS option online:-

DRDY Timing

Common Options : Slowest, Default, Optimize

Hello,

just to give some Feedback, I tried the three BIOS options with no effect on my Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

Is there a positive list of working SSDs with the BeoMaster?

Not working:

- Samsung 840 EVO - 1 TB -

- Samsung 840 Pro - 500 GB -

Best regards

Stephan

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Nov 3 2014 10:37 PM

DocLeisure:
just to give some Feedback, I tried the three BIOS options with no effect on my Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

Thanks for trying that Stephan. Shame it made no difference...

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

Had original success with a Samsung 840 EVO - 1 TB unit, but then it quickly failed.

Not certain what caused the SSD to boot properly, then to fail to boot at all after a few cycles. I suspect that it is something to do with problematic booting of the EVO SSD with XP and automatic updating. On initial installation only 1 in 3 manual boots were successful and could not be left alone to work automatically.

I have not bothered to try the Crucial SSD - too expensive at the moment to buy again with a lot of cash sunk into EVO SSD's and no guarantee that it would work.

Instead, I opted for a 1TB WD Velociraptor Hybrid Drive with built 64Gb SSD buffer.

Everything works and works fast and fluid-like - just like the SSD did initially. I think this is the reliable and cheaper solution to a SSD with similar speed. It is effectively a 2.5in 10,000rpm HDD with a substantial heat sink and runs at half the price of the comparable SSD.

Job done until BM5 is EOL.

Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 1,059
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Tue, Dec 30 2014 2:29 PM

Thanks for your feedback Mr 10Percent,

I see you use a 1TB HDD. You don't have any trouble ? Because it's not a 500GB, and some said the capacity must be the same that the BM5 original HDD.

Do you really feel the change ? More fluid, faster,... ?

I'm very tempted...

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Tue, Dec 30 2014 5:30 PM

Steph:
I see you use a 1TB HDD. You don't have any trouble ? Because it's not a 500GB, and some said the capacity must be the same that the BM5 original HDD.

Capacity shouldn't matter, it just makes adds a step to the cloning process as the music partition needs to be expanded if you want to take advantage of the extra space. I'm running a 2TB disk in my BM5 without any issues (2TB is the limit though as Windows XPe doesn't support more than 2TB).

I'm curious about what is more fluid, or more to the point what others find is not when using the original HDD, as I haven't really encountered any lack of or slow response issues with my BM5/BS5 even with the original HDD (with the exception of when it's ripping or doing a database rebuild etc in the background, at which times the user interface could feel a little laggy). Obviously boot times should be considerably improved with an SSD (or Hybrid) though.

Martin.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

Briefly using the EVO SSD, boot time was phenomenal. With the Velocirapter, less so.

However, near the capacity of the 500GB OEM unit, the scrolling became slow - especially on covers.

Putting the new HDD in with the SSD hybrid drive makes it all fluid. 95% of SSD as a "quick and dirty" measure but hassle free over that of the EVO SSD.

I found recovering the disk of first boot also helped get over an unspecified start-up error. No problems since.

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sat, Sep 19 2015 4:15 AM

Did anyone have success with upgrading to a 1TB SSD?

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 5:37 PM

Hi all,

i am thinking about upgrading the harddrive in my beomaster 5 

the problem is i have 1.3 TB music all ripped as flac files 

does anyone know what size of hard dive i can change it to (have a 3 TB i dont use)

the problem is i can't seem to get it to work with my nas server the beomaster 5 crashes and restarts

which is the best harddisk cloner to use 

i have found this one

https://www.fcomputer.dk/hardware/lagring/harddisk-kabinet/docking/sandberg/usb-3.0-hard-disk-cloner-2.5″-3.5″-delt-2xhdd.html

cheers 

Michael 

MicTheCat
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 10
Silver Member
MicTheCat replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 6:19 PM

Hi Michael

What NAS are you using. I changed my HD to a small SSD 128 MB and the performance is amazing. But now I had to move Music files to NAS and BM5 crashed every time it went out of hibernation or sleep. I found that my NAS provided Music files in several ways and that the BM5 did not like that. Now the only Way my QNAP Nas serves Music is Twonky and it is stable and flauless

regards

Michael

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 6:28 PM

Michael:

i am thinking about upgrading the harddrive in my beomaster 5 

the problem is i have 1.3 TB music all ripped as flac files 

does anyone know what size of hard dive i can change it to (have a 3 TB i dont use)

The largest disk that Windows XP Embedded (which is what the BM5 runs) will support it 2TB. I used a Western digital WD20EURX which is the 2TB version of the 1TB disk that B&O used in the BM5 - others will likely work too but I figured using a disk from the same series would reduce the risk of any compatibility issues.

Michael:

the problem is i can't seem to get it to work with my nas server the beomaster 5 crashes and restarts

Which NAS? and which DNLA software?

Michael:

which is the best harddisk cloner to use 

i have found this one

https://www.fcomputer.dk/hardware/lagring/harddisk-kabinet/docking/sandberg/usb-3.0-hard-disk-cloner-2.5″-3.5″-delt-2xhdd.html

I can't comment there as I carried out the cloning process using clonezilla live CD on a old PC.

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 6:53 PM

Hi Michael,

I use a Qnap TS-251 Turbo nas with 2x3 TB HD and using Twonky server 

i have tried to add 1000 files right now i just added my A dir but i dont how long it will take for about 3000 files to be indexed mots etc etc 

Regards 

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 6:58 PM

i have a qnap Ts-251 turbo nas using twonky 

the problem is i dont have a pc today only an old macbook (dont use a pc much these days)

but have you had any problem with the 2 TB HD ?

can you provide me with a idiot proof guide how you dit it ? 

maybe i should try finding an old pc 

Michael 

MicTheCat
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 10
Silver Member
MicTheCat replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 7:14 PM

You have to switch of DNLA in Order to BM5 not crashing!  I have reporter this B&O but dont Think they will do anything abort it

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 7:42 PM

hi again,

not sure exactly you mean ?

michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 7:42 PM

hi again,

not sure exactly what you mean ?

michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 8:42 PM

Michael:

but have you had any problem with the 2 TB HD ?

Hi Michael,

No, I've had no problems at all with this 2TB disk. Response can be a little sluggish at times (usually when the BM is doing something in the background), but this is no worse than it was with the original hard disk. I'd still like to swap for an SSD if I can find one that will work but I'm waiting for prices of large SSDs to come down before trying this again.

Michael:

can you provide me with a idiot proof guide how you dit it ? 

Unfortunately not as this would involve going through the whole process again in order to document each step.

There are guides to using clonezilla online, but if you need an "idiot proof" guide I would caution against taking this approach and probably recommend using one of the cloning machines (I don't know how they deal with copying between disks of different sizes though) or finding someone more experienced who can help you through the process in person. I hope this doesn't come across as rude / arrogant as that's not my intention, it's just that it would be very easy using a tool such as clonezilla to wipe your original BM5 hard disk (by for example copying in the wrong direction).

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Oct 21 2015 8:53 PM

Hi Martin,

thanks alot for your reply 

first of all you do absolutely not come across as arrogant or rude i appricaiate your comments very much

cause i am not sure i wanna do this myself but i dont think i will get B&O to do it for me

absolutely agree a large 2 TB SSD disk would be perfect but the price is just to high right now 

anyway will let you know about the progress if i decide to do it myself 

cheers 

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Oct 31 2015 8:23 PM

Hi all,

i just bought a Deltaco clone box 

it have now been running for about 28 hours 

it is 1 TB HD from my beomaster 5 to a 2 TB HD 

how long time did it take for you that tried one of these clone box ?

Cheers 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Oct 31 2015 9:09 PM

Hi Michael

I haven't tried any of the cloning boxes, but I'd have expected it to have finished by now as 1Tbyte over 28 hours equates to just under 10Mbytes / second which is pretty slow already.

That said, I would personally still be inclined to leave it overnight and see if it completes by the morning before halting the process.

Are there any lights etc on the cloning box to indicate either status or progress?

Kind regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Oct 31 2015 9:20 PM

Hi Martin,

Already last night it was between 75-100% there is some led blinking 

that being said there is around 995 GB Data on the disk so it is alot flac files that is only around 30-40 mb so i think it will take some time 

but just think it is a bit weird that it have been between 75-100% the last 24 hours but it was a cheap one around 50 euros

so i will try to see tomorrow morning if it is still running 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Oct 31 2015 9:31 PM

The way these devices operate means it doesn't matter how much data is on the disk, as it copies every block of the old disk to the new disk (even empty ones) and therefore takes as long to clone an empty disk as a full one.

Seems strange for it to have got to >75% in a few hours, and then taken all this time (and still going) to clone the rest - this makes me think something is not right but it is still probably worth waiting overnight just to be sure.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Nov 1 2015 9:52 AM

Hi Again,

it stopped it this morning and off course it did not work (the original disk still works)

then i found a program called stellar clone but that one dont work either partion not supported 

there is an option called volume clone where i can clone dir by dir that will be next one i will test i think.

have anyone any experience in using programs for mac to clone their beomaster 5 HD 

Cheers 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Nov 1 2015 10:31 AM

Hi Michael,

Cloning the drive needs to be done at a whole disk level, rather than partition or directory at a time, as it needs to copy everything so that a) the disk is bootable, and b) details like the BM5 serial number are copied too.

As long as you have a modern intel based mac, clonezilla should work on a mac, so given the problems you've had with the cloning box, I'm happy to run through the process and document everything a screen at a time - this might be a useful resource for others in the future too. I'll try and make some time to do this as soon as I can but it might take me a few days as I'm currently working to an imminent deadline on a couple of other tasks.

Let me know what mac you have and whether it has a CD writer - you'll need to create either a bootable CD or a bootable USB to boot your mac with clonezilla.

Also, does you cloning box support USB3 and does your mac have a USB3 port? The process will still work with USB2 but expect it to be much slower.

In the meantime, I would suggest trying the cloning process again with the cloning box just it case it was a random failure first time around. It really ought to complete within 8 hours if nothing goes wrong during the process.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sun, Nov 1 2015 10:41 AM

Hi Martin,

that sounds very good i will appriciate that alot. 

i was thinking i formatted the destination drive on my mac as exfat i just borrowed my daughters pc and formatted it as NTFS and have now started the cloning again. i will check on it regulary and post back

my cd-drive in my mac died after ripping 2500 CDS Big Smile

but there is 2 usb 3.0 maybe just one but i am not sure but i am thinking about buying a pc (a bit tired of this macbook and it is old)

yes my cloning box supports usb 3.0

thanks alot for all your help so far i really appricaite it Smile

cheers

Michael   

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Nov 1 2015 11:13 AM

Michael:
i was thinking i formatted the destination drive on my mac as exfat i just borrowed my daughters pc and formatted it as NTFS and have now started the cloning again. i will check on it regulary and post back

It shouldn't matter how (or even whether) the destination disk is formatted, as when cloning the disk the file system formatting will be cloned from the original disk too.

Michael:
my cd-drive in my mac died after ripping 2500 CDS Big Smile

That's a shame, CD booting would have been the easier option. Which macbook do you have? Searching google it seems some can boot from USB stick quite easily, whereas others cannot.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Page 2 of 6 (211 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS