Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Upgrade beomaster 5 harddisk

rated by 0 users
This post has 210 Replies | 11 Followers

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Nov 4 2015 11:58 PM

ok now it is done i guess it is time to test it in the BM 5

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Nov 4 2015 11:59 PM

yes i have to reinstall it in the bm5

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:06 AM

Michael:
yes i have to reinstall it in the bm5

Ok, let me know how it goes - do you have a TV / display connected to the BM5 so you can see what is happening as it boots?

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:08 AM

no i dont it is just blinking red on beosound 5 very slow starting compared to what it used to 

i dont know if i have destroyed something on the partition 

cause it is really slow 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:12 AM

still not up after around 10 minutes just blinking red on the beosound 5 

think i might have to do another clone and use the guidelines you gave me a earlier 

what do you think ?

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:15 AM

It would be worth trying to run the recovery process at this stage. Do you have a monitor or TV you can connect? and a keyboard?

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:18 AM

see that is the problem i dont have a display or keyboard i can use (i have a samsung TV but no Dvi port on it 

i have logitech bluetooth keyboard with a usb cable but the bm5 won't use it 

dont know why 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:22 AM

i got this error now 

unable to write to e:/bm-Share/system/beospecialfavouritelimits.beo.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:22 AM

The bluetoothwireless keyboard should work as it is what I use - it won't do anything in the normal menus though so you'd only know it was working when connected to a display.

You can also get a DVI male to HDMI female adapter and then use an HDMI cable to the TV, but in the meantime it might be worth trying to plug the BS5 DVI connector into the DVI-I port on the BM5 - I don't know for certain if this will work but it won't do any harm and as the BS5 is just a display plus some controls it might just work (leave the BS5 USB and Power connected where they are).

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:24 AM

Michael:

i got this error now 

unable to write to e:/bm-Share/system/beospecialfavouritelimits.beo.

Ok, looks like it has booted, but then encountered an error. Recovery would definately be the best option at this stage as it will reinstall the B&O software without affecting your data.

Try the options in my previous post and let me know if you see anything on screen.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:30 AM

which of the usb port should i insert the keyboard in 

i just tried the other thing that did not work 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:31 AM

nothing on the screen 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:33 AM

Either of the two spare ports should be fine (not the BS5 one), but you will need a display connected to use the recovery mode.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:35 AM

ok i guess we can safely say something went wrong with the partition i will do a fresh clone and follow the steps 

as i dont have a display or keyboard won't you say that is the smartest thing to do now 

Michael

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 12:49 AM

i have started the cloning process now it will take a few hours so i will go to bed 

and try to do it the right way tomorrow Big Smile

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Michael:

ok i guess we can safely say something went wrong with the partition i will do a fresh clone and follow the steps 

as i dont have a display or keyboard won't you say that is the smartest thing to do now 

Michael

It might be but I think I performed a recovery after upgrading my disk although it was some time ago now so I can't remember what the problem was that lead to this. I'm just performing a clone of my original disk (which I'd stored away for safe keeping) and a resize to see what problems if any I encounter. This should complete in about half an hour so I will report back shortly.

Assuming your TV has HDMI inputs, I would order a "DVI-I male to HDMI female adapter" (usually less than 5 euro eg on Amazon).

I've just looked at the logitech wireless keyboard I use and it is not bluetooth, but instead has a logo on the USB eceiver which is an orange square with a black star inside it - is yours like this or does it have the blue bluetooth logo?

Kind Regards,

Martin.

PS. Apologies to the other users 'following' this thread for filling your inbox with messages this evening!!!

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 1:05 AM

i just looked mine is a kensington keyboard i actually bought it to use with my iPad though that never happened Big Smile

i will try tomorrow to see if can find an adapter and a keyboard but come to think of it i made a screw up earlier on the BM-System and the resized it back it might there i destroyed the clone (before i resized the to 1.8 TB) but i an a few hours when the clone is done and i have gotten a little sleep i will try it again 

thank you so very much for all your help and patience Big Smile

and yes apologies to the other users following this thread.

cheers 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Hi Michael,

Just a quick update - I carried out the cloning & resizing procedure and encountered the same error message as you. I then performed a recovery and everything is working. I have then allowed the BM5 to perform a software update as the recovery process installs the original factory software and my BM5 is now back to latest software with the 2TB disk and is running fine.

I've looked into the issue and I think Windows is getting confused when it comes to drive letter allocations because several things have changed at once. I haven't yet tried this but I would suggest doing the following:-

Clone the disk, then install it in the BM5 and boot up, shut down, and boot up again.

Use gparted to move the BM System partition to the end of the disk (thus leaving the unallocated space between data and BM System).

re-install the hard disk in the BM5 and boot up, shut down, and boot up again (boot the machine at least twice).

Then use gparted to resize the data partition, then reinstall the drive in the BM5 again.

Try booting again and perhaps this way you will not need to carry out the recovery operation.

Please let me know whether this works if you decide to try it this way.

Kind regards,

Martin.

PS. For anyone else trying this who has their BM5 connected to a monitor or TV - you can save a lot of time by carrying out the cloning and re-sizing operations on the BM5 itself. You'll just need to connect a USB CDROM drive and keyboard (and change the boot order in the BM5 BIOS to allow booting from CD).

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 7:38 AM

Hi Martin,

i just tried to follow the way you wrote here.

when i move the BM-System Partition to the end i get the same error from last night 

so i think i have to get a keyboard and a adapter so i can do a recovery 

cheers 

Michael

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Hi Michael,

I think the adapter would be a good idea as it may be useful in the future too, but there is one other thing you can try (which unfortunately means cloning the disk again!):

It seems that when the partition is moved to the end of the disk this also causes a slight reduction in the size at the same time. You could try leaving 1MiB of unallocated space at the end which seems to prevent this issue. 

To do this, just enter '1' in the free space following box rather than '0' (only when moving the BM System partition).

Kind regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 8:27 AM

Hi Martin,

well i am an expert in cloning the HD Big Smile so i will try that 

will report back in a few hours if it works that way 

thanks a lot 

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 11:01 AM

Hi Again,

well i just did that but same error again Angry

well time to get the adapter and keyboard 

well let you know my progress

michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 11:13 AM

Oh well, at least nobody can accuse us of not trying!

It'll certainly work once a rebuild has been completed as that is what I did last night, and when I've got a little more time I might have another go to see if I can find an easier solution.

Kind regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 11:16 AM

oh no i think we have tried everything just hope i can find the adapter 

so i can get it fixed today 

thank you so very much for all your help 

michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 1:14 PM

Hi Martin,

well i got adapter and the keyboard 

have resized the HD and now i started the recovery status the first step goes okay fast can it is installing all the files etc.

then it reboots and this time i just let it boot normally it have been standing for about 10 minutes and nothing have happened nothing on the screen just blank 

what can i have done wrong this time ?Big Smile

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 4:23 PM

hi again,

the data partition on both the original and clone is now giving me an error unable to read the contents of this file system 

any good idea what to do 

Michael

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Hi Michael, 

Any chance you have modified the wrong disk or cloned in the wrong direction?

What is the exact error message and at what point in the boot process does it appear?

Have you changed any bios settings on the BM5?

Do you or have you by any chance have both disks connected to the BM5 (eg one internally, and one by USB) whilst booting? Windows can be confused by duplicate file system IDs.

I won't be home until late tonight and then I'm away until Sunday so can't do anything practical to help until then, but if I can identify where on the disk the BM5 serial no is stored I can create a disc image for you.

Sorry for all the questions but if we can figure out the cause it will be easier to rectify without resorting to a service call.

Kind regards

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 6:03 PM

Hi Martin,

no i really dont think so have been extremely careful when i cloned then 

have NOT touched the bios 

i am 100% sure that i have not have boot disk connected at same time 

what i might have done is after the 1 st step of the recovery it went into black screen and was standing there for 1 hour the i shut it down and then i inserted the original drive to be sure it was working and i could hear music from the original drive without any problem 

But i delete the Data partition on the clone drive and resized it as 1.8 TB then i ran a System recovery did the software update swell then when i went into the settings i rebooted then i took out the power cord and waited 5 minutes.

and it seems like it is working but when i go into settings i reboots sometimes but right now i am listening to the radio and will try to add some music 

so right now i think it is working just not sure how stable it is but the good thing is i have a copy of my music on the nas and on a usb 3 harddrive so no problem there 

i dont know if i should delete the data partition on the original or maybe just run it through test 

so right now it looks pretty good 

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Nov 5 2015 9:44 PM

Hi,

it is not so stable as it should be been listening to radio and have copied around 10 Gb music to the disk for about 3 hours without any problems 

but when i go into settings right left right left and then go it reboots 

any good idea what can be wrong 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Michael:
i dont know if i should delete the data partition on the original or maybe just run it through test 

I'll reply in more detail when I return home on Sunday, but I definarely wouldn't recommend deleting any partitions and certainly not on the original disk.

What was the error message you were experiencing with the original disk?

Kind regards

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Nov 6 2015 1:45 PM

Hi Martin,

i got this error on the original disk =  unable to read the contents of this file system 

but the strange is i can hear music from it and just tried to copy from it without any problems.

right now i am copying my music over that should be done within a 5 hours or so and then i will be able to test more how stable the it is.

talk to you on sunday 

Cheers 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Where / when did this error appear? During boot or whilst using the product? On the TV/monitor or on the BS5 screen?

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Nov 6 2015 5:17 PM

after the cloning i loaded up Gpart and then error came 

but before i cloned the disk last time i had started the recovery and that one crashed or what ever it did after the 1 st task it just stopped and then i inserted the original disk and that one worked fine i shoot it down and did another cloning and then the error came when i loaded part up

so i am afraid i it destroyed the data on the original disk but it still works and i can play music from there 

does the above makes any sense?

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Ah, ok, so it was gparted that gave that error message? and your original disk is still working perfectly in the BM5? you are not experiencing these reboots if you use your BM5 with the original disk? only with the 'cloned' 2TB disk?

The random reboots I think were an issue experienced by some users who tried installing SSD in the BM5 so I wonder if this is perhaps related to the model of disk used rather than a problem with the cloning and resizing but it's difficult to say for certain.

I would generally recommend against deleting a partition and creating a new one (as opposed to resizing an existing partition) as it is more likely to lead to issues with drive letter allocation in Windows.

Do you see the N.MUSIC, N.RADIO, PHOTO, WEB main menu on the BM5 display after booting?

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Nov 6 2015 8:48 PM

Hi again,

i am not sure about the reboots i have not tested that much right now i am copying to the 2 TB HD and i have not that attached in BM5 is way too slow that way 

i am going to hopefully test within a few hours to attach the 2 TB Drive on the BM5 and then i can test how stable it is 

the 2 TB HD is the WD20EURX 

will report back later during the weekend how it is running 

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Nov 7 2015 12:51 PM

Hi Martin,

well it looks like it is working Big Smile

Last night i copied all my 44000 flac files over and i have been listening to music the whole day 

no reboot or anything so it looks REALLY good 

i really can't thank you enough for all your help 

Thank you so very much for all your help Big Smile

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Michael:

Last night i copied all my 44000 flac files over and i have been listening to music the whole day 

no reboot or anything so it looks REALLY good 

Hi Michael,

Good to hear it's all working Big Smile

Michael:

i really can't thank you enough for all your help 

Thank you so very much for all your help Big Smile

A pleasure.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Nov 21 2015 9:06 PM

Hi all,

something weird is happening with my beosound/beomaster 5 today it reboots like every 10-15 minutes but it is only when it is in standby mode 

it have been working perfectly for the last 2-3 weeks after i upgraded the HD and been using it alot in that period 

anyone experienced the same thing ? 

Cheers 

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jan 4 2016 1:46 PM

Hi,

3-4 weeks ago i made a new clone of my HD it have been running perfectly the last 3-4 weeks 

then saturday i added the last of my music and last night it keeps on rebooting it is only doing it in standby mode 

i can see there is loads of crash logs but not sure what to look after.

anyone have a good idea what can be wrong 

i went from a 1 TB to a 2 TB HD 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Hi Michael,

So both times when you have cloned the disk it has run faultlessly for a few weeks and then you start to see this reboot issue?

Given the reboots of the BM5 only occur whilst the BS5 is in standby I guess there must be some housekeeping task that only runs when the system is not being used, or the problem is related to the power saving mode.

First I would try disabling the power saving in the BS5 menu and see if the problem persists.

Next I would try deleting the music files you added most recently to see if the problem stops (in case there are one or more of these files that the BM5 is not managing to process without crashing).

Maybe even try deleting all the music files (but don't do a recovery) to see if the rebooting stops so we can determine whether it is related to these files or due to some other corruption of Windows system files.

Do the crash logs give any indication as to which process / driver etc causes the crash?

Martin.

Page 4 of 6 (211 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS