Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Upgrade beomaster 5 harddisk

rated by 0 users
This post has 210 Replies | 11 Followers

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Jan 4 2016 3:59 PM

Hi Martin,

the problem started when i added around 500 GB of music this saturday. so before that it have worked flawless for about 3-4 weeks 

i have disabled the power saving and will let you know if that solved the problem 

if not  i will have to do it the hard way and delete all music and copying it again 

i am using a macbook to copy the music over via the clone unit and a usb drive dont know if the mac can cause some kind of faulty files as it crashes alot when trying to copying files so there might be some files that is not completely copied over.

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jan 5 2016 3:04 PM

Hi Again,

turning off the power settings did not help still rebooting when in standby mode 

so i guess i have to delete all the music and start copying slowly 

Mchael

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Hi Michael,

I would try going the other way first, delete the files a few folders at a time until either the reboots stop, or you have no more music files stored on the BM5 (at which point if it is still rebooting you will have to perform a recovery).

Alternatively, you could try a recovery first as this should restore all the system files but should not remove your music.

Finally, when copying the files to your BM5 I would definitely recommend you use the beoconnect software and copy them across the network rather than removing the drive and copying them directly as you have been - It'll be slower, but will ensure the file ownership / permissions are correct as incorrect permissions could well be another potential cause of your issues

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Jan 7 2016 10:49 AM

Hi Again,

things just gotten worse now it is rebooting when playing both on N music and N radio 

i found some directories that definitely not should be there so i have deleted them i will go through all the directories and clean up then i am thinking about deleting the Database and do a recovery and if that doesn't help i think i will have to do new a clone 

Michael

nico vercammen
Top 500 Contributor
Elversele, Belgium
Posts 174
Bronze Member

HI,

I had similar problems when making partitions bigger on a new cloned disk... (tried several different software's...)
It started to reboot after without i could find out why ...
I also tried several times to use a SSD disk without working result. The system board has problems with these SSD's to boot from.

What I finally did is cloning the 500G disk to a hybrid hard drive (SSHD) from seagate ST2000DX001
I did not change anything to the partitions, just cloned it. 
I used a 2T disk which had 8 gig of flash disk build in (1T would do the job also of course ..., you will use only 500 gig anyway)
This type of disk will boot in the beginning as fast (or slow) as a normal spinning disk, but the more you use it, it will place the most used files on the 8gig flash. The result is the system is really fast now (i have more than 55.000 music files) I supose the database is on the flash disk now..

To have more space available i connected an external USB disk (1TB SSD, because i had it already..)
and mounted this one under a directory in the music directory. (formatted the SSD on the BM5)
I copied all my  music files over my internal network to the  mounted BM-SHARE$ from my mac to the subdirectory where the USB disk is mounted.

I never have any drop outs  when copying.. (more then 700 gig in 1 time copy)

Works for several months now without any problem and is pretty fast !

The only problem is the BS/BM5 will not see the new music files on the external USB disk directly. (like it would if you copy it to the standard disk in the music  directory). But a quick reboot sees them directly and will put them under "recently added"

best regards

nico 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I would do a Beomaster 5 Recovery. The sequence takes approx. 15 minutes to do, plus an on-line software update.

It is quite painless and all your databases and music is kept intact.

I did one last week as I noticed the wheel was becoming unresponsive, clunky and slow. Remoting tracks with MOTS - music came on immediately but the artwork was several seconds late.

Plugged in a keyboard, booted with BM5 Recovery, then updated.

Back to smooth and fast in less than 30minutes.

PS. The albums/music files took a few hours to fully display the whole library of 35000 tracks while some database re-formats or re-builds.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Jan 7 2016 5:38 PM

Hi Nico,

how did you mount the external disk cause i have 3 TB 2,5 USB Drive where all my music and then i can use the original 1 TB HD in the BM5 

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Jan 7 2016 5:40 PM

Hi Mr 10Percent 

i did a recovery after i had cloned the disk but i will try to do 1 more 

will let you how it goes 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Fri, Jan 8 2016 11:19 PM

Michael:

Hi Mr 10Percent 

i did a recovery after i had cloned the disk but i will try to do 1 more 

will let you how it goes 

Michael 

Yep, there shouldn't be any need to clone the disk again, just run the recovery process as all the system files will be restored during this process.

The longer process I outlined previously (either running a system restore first to see if that resolved the issue, or removing your music files a batch at a time) was aimed at trying to work out what was actually causing your issues (rather than just fixing the issue for now) as you seem to have experienced the same issue more than once.

As mentioned previously, I would definitely recommend not removing the disk and attaching to another machine in order to copy your music though as it will almost certainly result in NTFS permissions for the files and folders that are different to what would normally be expected. This in itself shouldn't crash the OS, but it might cause the B&O application to crash (which might then result in a reboot if there is a watchdog timer involved).

Whichever route you go down, please keep us updated as to what you try and what the result it as it may help to narrow down the root cause.

Kind regards,

Martin.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Fri, Jan 8 2016 11:31 PM

Michael:

Hi Nico,

how did you mount the external disk cause i have 3 TB 2,5 USB Drive where all my music and then i can use the original 1 TB HD in the BM5 

Michael 

Create an empty folder inside the music folder, then follow this procedure to mount the external usb disk there:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/307889

Note that you will need to ensure the chipset in the USB enclosure provides supports for disks >2TB on legacy systems - many now do, but some don't.

Martin.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Jan 9 2016 5:33 AM

nico vercammen:
The only problem is the BS/BM5 will not see the new music files on the external USB disk directly. (like it would if you copy it to the standard disk in the music  directory). But a quick reboot sees them directly and will put them under "recently added"
Even not if you start the Music Server feature (=Twonky) on the BS5 and add the mounted drive/directory in the shares of Twonky? 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Jan 13 2016 10:16 PM

Hi all,

A little update 

During the weekend i looked through the Music and it was a mess 

had bmmusic/music/music so i got it cleaned and did the update last nite but today after i had listened to a CD it started the reboot again 

so i did a new update deleted the database 

so i will see tomorrow if it is start the rebooting again then i have to do a complete delete of all the music and start adding it all slowly again

i will report back within the next few days 

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Jan 14 2016 10:46 AM

A little update 

it is still rebooting so if anyone have a good idea what to do before i delete all my music and start again

then please let me know 

Michael 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Fri, Jan 15 2016 12:35 AM

Hi Michael,

Have you already run the recovery process?

If not I would also look at the event logs to see if there is anything contained therein that gives an indication as to what is causing the reboots before you perform the recovery process.

As I mentioned before, if you do end up needing to copy your music across again, I would do this over the network as this will help to ensure the files end up in the right place, without the risk of corrupting the file system (this may be happening when you are removing the drive and attaching it to another computer to copy your music across), and that the files are stored with the correct NTFS file ownership & permissions.

You don't have to use the beoconnect app. The BM5 will the folder automatically (just make sure you have configured a password in the menus of the BS5).

I think you mentioned before that you were a mac user, so hit command+K in finder to bring up the connect to server window, then enter:

smb://192.168.1.10/BM-Share/Music

(substituting the IP address above for that of *your* BM5)

You can then drag your music files into that folder a batch at a time, allowing enough time for the BM to index for MOTS, and testing whether you experience any issues between each new batch of music files.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Jan 15 2016 2:32 PM

Hi Martin,

yes i did the recovery and even deleted the Databases just now i did another recovery and what is weird the wheel is extremely unresponsive and when press go on a Album it takes about 2 minutes before it starts to play.

i think i will delete all the music if the problem aint solved with this recovery my problem is i dont have a cabled network only a wireless connection and that one is dropping out pretty often can that be a problem ?

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Fri, Jan 15 2016 2:51 PM

Hi Michael,

The unresponsiveness is probably because the BM is busy doing stuff in the background - rebuilding databases, MOTS, etc. I'd give it a little time to see of it resolves itself.

It will be much quicker and more reliable of you can set up a wired network for copying your music across if at all possible. Depending on where the music is being copied from this could be as simple as configuring a static IP on both devices and using plugging in a cable between them.

Martin.

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Jan 15 2016 4:59 PM

Hi Martin,

it have not rebooted for the last 3 hours Smile in standby mode even though i cleaned and look through the directories maybe there still is some crappy files 

but i will try to see what happens during the weekend (just let it be in stand by mode)

Michael 

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 18 2016 3:47 PM

Hi All,

it looks like it finally worked out for me.

at the 17TH January i made a new clone and started adding the music over the network and 1 month later 

there is still no reboot a few unknown artist but that is easy to fix

Thank you so much for all your help with these problems i had Smile

Cheers 

Michael

kinjo
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
kinjo replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 11:09 AM

i'm looking for a new 1TB HDD,

can anyone help me to find the best one?

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 2:21 PM

hi there,

i have the Western Digital 10EURX

Michael

kinjo
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
kinjo replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 8:32 AM

i found this article on google

http://www.deskdecode.com/top-best-1tb-hard-disk-drive-monthly-updated/

and they suggest me to buy wd.

how about that?

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 12:23 PM

Unless you want to experiment, the WD10EURX model that Michael mentioned is definitely the easiest way to go. It was the drive that was originally shipped by B&O inside the 1TB BeoMaster 5 and therefore compatibility is pretty much guaranteed.

Martin.

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 12:26 PM

B&O ask for the harddisk 1Tb 310 euro!!!! exc. labour

This is RIDICULOUS!!!!

Michael
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 89
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 12:28 PM

HI,

As far as i remember i think i got this disk i use recommended in this forum

i dont know if you can use any 1 TB HD

Michael

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 4:09 PM

Michael:
i dont know if you can use any 1 TB HD

In theory, yes, although there's no guarantee and there are other considerations aside from interface / chipset compatibility - such as the thermal and acoustic properties of a drive. There are probably 15000rpm server drives that would work, and they are very fast, but I'd not want one in the corner of my lounge as they are noisy as hell!

At least with the WDxxEURX range you know you shouldn't have too many problems as that's what B&O used - I use the 2TB version of this drive (the WD20EURX) in my BM5.

Martin.

Edit: I should probably point out though that 2TB is the maximum supported drive size in XP, so you can't utilise the 3TB or 4TB drives that are now available in this range.

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sun, Dec 25 2016 11:52 AM
Hi Martin

The only remaining is probably the recommended 500 GB and 1 TB SSD drive that can be used. These are just too expensive to "try" out ;-)

Thanks for your input though.
riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Dec 25 2016 12:58 PM

beolion:
Hi Martin

The only remaining is probably the recommended 500 GB and 1 TB SSD drive that can be used. These are just too expensive to "try" out ;-)

Thanks for your input though.

The Crucial MX100 512GB SSD drive works well according to earlier posts in this thread. I have tried a few larger SSDs when I've had access to them (like you say, they are too expensive to buy to simply try out) but haven't found any that work reliably in the BM5.

For me the upgrade (from 1TB to 2TB) was about extra capacity, and a 512GB SSD just wouldn't be anywhere near large enough for my music collection. I have considered installing the MX100 drive and then storing my music on my NAS (in fact it is stored there anyway, as well as on my BM5) but I'm not sure if the faster SSD will gain me anything given the music files would then need to be accessed over the network...

Martin.

MicTheCat
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 10
Silver Member
MicTheCat replied on Mon, Dec 26 2016 9:18 AM

Ny BM5 has been worked a couple of years with the Crusial SSD. I have all my music on NAS and it's working very well

The system gets more responsive with an ssd but downside is the lack of storage so you need music on NAS. For me steaming from the NAS is no problem. 

Happy holidays 

/Michael

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Mon, Dec 26 2016 10:03 AM
Hi Martin

Do you know if a Crucial MX100 will "act" similar to the new model MX300?

Leo
riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Dec 26 2016 12:19 PM

beolion:
Do you know if a Crucial MX100 will "act" similar to the new model MX300?

So far, the MX100 seems to be the only SSD that has been found to work reliably in the BM5.

Martin.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Jan 15 2017 1:32 PM
Hi All

I have read this entire thread and now want to ask if I could clone a Crucial 500gb SSD which is the same size as the original 500gb B&O HDD.

1. Remove the old HDD from the Beomaster 5

2. Clone the HDD to the SSD using the Deleycon cloner.

3. Install the new SDD

4. Boot up and run the recovery process and then do online update.

This would solve all the slow laggy GUI and make it fluid and fast?

All my music is on a NAS.

Please help.

Thank you.

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, Jan 15 2017 8:12 PM

Hi Martin

I too have my music stored on my NAS.

I have just ordered a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD and a Deleycon Cloner.

I will try this when everything is delivered hopefully by Friday.

With regards to gains, I can assure you the covers of albums will load much faster and the whole track list will scroll without any jerks even if you have around 50,000 tunes.

I have not seen this for myself but the more you play and use the BS5 after the SSD upgrade, the path files to the tunes are stored on the SSD.

Will update in a few days.

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:00 PM
Finally arrived.

Now waiting for Deleycon Cloner.

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

peterafox
Not Ranked
Posts 34
Bronze Member
peterafox replied on Wed, Jan 18 2017 8:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing how you get on! If successful, I'd love a step by step guide on how to do this. Not particularly tech savvy here so keen to understand lessons learnt.

Good luck!
Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 9:05 AM
Can someone please advise how to open the Beomaster 5?

It seems like it has special screws. Which screws do I need to undo?

Please help!

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 9:29 AM
Anybody know what screwdriver I'm meant to be using?

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

nico vercammen
Top 500 Contributor
Elversele, Belgium
Posts 174
Bronze Member

I think it is called a TORX screwdriver

regards 

nico

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 9:50 AM
My dad worked his magic and got it open.

Original hard drive is now out.

I'm just waiting for the Deleycon Cloner now.

Amazon says they will be delivering today 👍🏻👍🏻

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 8:20 PM
It's finally happening...

Regards