Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New Netlink Convertor for ML-network

rated by 0 users
This post has 71 Replies | 9 Followers

BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 482
Bronze Member
BeoHut Posted: Thu, Oct 11 2012 9:13 PM
Hi all,

On the B&O-website you can read that the new NL-converter is released. With this converter it is possible to let the new BV11 communicate in a existing ML-network for sounddistributing. Even the Beosound 5 is mentioned.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use this new NL-converter with a Beosound 5 Encore and other Beo Play products? I know that the before mentioned products are made as a stand-alone, but it would be nice to integrate these products in a ML-network.

Should this work? I think if so this could be very nice for us.

Any thoughts and possibilities about this?

Looking forward to the reactions.

Kind regards,

Beofan53
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Funny to see you'd need a converter to connect to the Beosound 5, they could certainly develop a software update as the Beomaster 5 has a network connection as well.

This new NL system is bringing so many questions...

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 482
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 9:49 PM
Most speakers are connected to the videomaster. Therefore with this new converter it would be possible to use an audiomaster without switching speakercables. And of course distributing sound through the (existing) ML- system.

Perhaps updates for using DLNA is a possibility. Let's wait and see.
claudiu
Top 500 Contributor
copenhagen
Posts 193
Bronze Member
claudiu replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:24 PM

http://issuu.com/bangolufsen/docs/bang___olufsen_network_link_infrastructure?mode=mobile

It is not so complicated,  you only need  many kat 7 cables. :)

I understand now why b & o recomnda atlona matrix, you don't need anything more than 2 kat  7 cables for each room and can use up to 32 rooms .

regards .

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:48 PM
By reading the B&O website I have understood that you will need the new converter to connect BV 11 to a masterlink system and the BV 11 can only be the videomaster.

But what means "Netlink"? I don't understand how I can use this WITHOUT masterlink! To wich products can I connect the new BV 11? Even BS 5 can only be connected to BV 11 with Masterlink and the new converter. Also on B&O website it is mentioned that it is NOT possible to connect BV 11 to another BV 11!?

I thought Netlink is the new system to connect B&O devices and it replaces the old masterlink. I hoped with Netlink it will be possible to distribute DIGITAL video and audio signals to linkrooms, because masterlink can only do this ANALOGUE.

Is anybody able to exlain the capabilities of Netlink??

Ragards

Räuber
Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:09 AM

claudiu :

I understand now why b & o recomnda atlona matrix, you don't need anything more
than 2 kat  7 cables for each room

Older Atlona Switches needed 2 cables, recent ones using HDBaseT technology just need 1 cable per room.

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:55 AM

Raeuber:
But what means "Netlink"?

NetworkLink is DIGITAL TCP/IP and can be distributed via switch or router.

Between BV11 and the NL/ML Converter the audio signal is digital,
the NL/ML Converter has D/A as well as A/D converters to convert
digital NetworkLink into analogue MasterLink and vice versa. 

NetworkLink will replace MasterLink during the next years - as long as you are using 
ML components in an existing ML setup you'll need a converter to "translate" digital to
analogue (both directions).

Distribution of HQ Audio is simple task compared to true HQ Video coming from eg. a BluRay.

HD a la Apple TV is nice on a 32" maybe even on a 40" -  on a 46" or 55" you clearly see the
missing 80% of data lost/compressed by "APPLE HD 1080" if you compare it to real HD from
a BLU-RAY (or a mediaplayer, beeing able to play BD-ISO or BD-MV files).

Maybe (pure speculation) the quite new HDBaseT technology used  eg. by Atlona for HD Matrix
distribution will be implemented to NetworkLink in future - who knows.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:06 AM
Ok, so we have to wait again until Netlink offers new features, although we are still waiting for many years for the "new masterlink". Take a look at the connection panel of BV 11, there are many sockets "for future use", probably for Netlink purposes.

But why it's so difficult to distribute video HD signals? Why offers the new BV 11 simply not a HDMI output socket to send digital video and audio signals to linkroom Tv's? Then you would only need a cable to control the sources of mainroom tv from the linkroom tv. Couldn't this be realized in that simple way??

/Räuber
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Raeuber:
Ok, so we have to wait again until Netlink offers new features

One thing to note about Video distribution is that B&O is adding UPNP/DLNA in all its new TV sets. So you've already got a way to watch all your movies/photos, etc... stored in a centralised NAS in all the rooms. In addition you can access MP3s as well.

Distributing a centralised BluRay disc player, or video coming from a proprietary sat receiver can be acheived with an HDMI matrix. But it might be cheaper to have BluRay player or a sat receiver in each room.

It is however annoying for many of us with an existing ML setup. I am in the UK, only my main TV has a freeview tuner, the others are "old" MX TV, and I am relying on the main TV tuner all the time... I couldn't replace my main TV with a BV11, otherwise all my other TVs are useless!

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:13 AM

Actually I can watch on my BV 10 in linkroom via Masterlink blurays from the built-in bluray player and recordings from my Technisat receiver attached to my BV 7-40. Of course in SD, not in HD.

But with a BV 11 in linkroom I can't do this, neither in SD nor in HD. I thought this would be possible with the new Netlink!

/Räuber

ibg001
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
ibg001 replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:25 AM

Hi,

Has anymore seen more material from B&O describing Network Link and how it is intended to work?

And can 2 BV11 be connected and distributed sources digitally?

Regards

Ivan

ibg001
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
ibg001 replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:25 AM

Hi,

Has anymore seen more material from B&O describing Network Link and how it is intended to work?

Regards

Ivan

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:37 AM

ibg001:

Hi,

Regards

Ivan

No, see the FAQ on B&O website:

Can I set up my BeoVision 11 in a Master Link setup?

Yes, you can connect your music system to your BeoVision 11 using the BeoLink Converter NL/ML and get sound distributed to link rooms. However, your music system must be part of an established Master Link setup. You can only use one television in this setup. It is not possible to distribute to another BeoVision 11 or BeoPlay V1 in a second room of the house. This setup requires a wired Internet connection and that WAKE ON LAN is set to ON in the television NETWORK menu.

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:44 AM

Raeuber:

Actually I can watch on my BV 10 in linkroom via Masterlink blurays from the built-in bluray player and recordings from my Technisat receiver attached to my BV 7-40. Of course in SD, not in HD.

Smile actually you CONTROL your BD or TECHNISAT via MasterLink, and, if you press AV *** ,
you also send the sound in stereo via ML.

Picture comes via an antenna cable in SD.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:09 PM

Vienna:

Raeuber:

Smile actually you CONTROL your BD or TECHNISAT via MasterLink, and, if you press AV *** ,
you also send the sound in stereo via ML.

Picture comes via an antenna cable in SD.

Quite right, Vienna!

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Raeuber:

But with a BV 11 in linkroom I can't do this, neither in SD nor in HD. I thought this would be possible with the new Netlink!

The video distribution concept is different now. Instead of having a "main" TV, or VideoMaster, and then this TV modulates a signal and broadcasts it to other TVs, you're now supposed to have all shared sources in a hidden cupboard, and a HDMI matrix distribute the signal to the client TV that requests that source.

This is much more costly as I understand these Matrixes are not cheap. But this is the only way to distribute a HD signal.

ibg001
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
ibg001 replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 2:09 PM

I have seen the information on the B&O web site. But it does not tell much. I was looking for some more detailed description.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 2:51 PM
Me too, Evan. But I can't find more detailed information about the new Netlink. It can't be true that Netlink is only used for the new ML-NL converter.

So further infos about Netlink are welcome!

/Räuber
Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 3:19 PM

Raeuber:
It can't be true that Netlink is only used for the new ML-NL converter.

Smile ...even a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step ...

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 3:31 PM
Vienna:

...even a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step ...

That's true, Vienna. But I hope the next step will not follow in ten years!

We have waited so long for the new digital masterlink, called Netlink. Actually we can only read in the manual of BV 11 ragarding three sockets: "for future use".

/Räuber
BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 482
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:55 PM
With a BV10 you have probably the same picture quality as the BV11. When an AppleTV is connected to a BV10, you have some apps. Even some apps when e.g. a Samsung BR-recorder/player is connected or an Humax STB. With an iPhone/iPad you can mirror the tablet screen on the television with all the apps you want. Even browsing is possible. Then you created your own SmartTV. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. is available.

What I have read so far the converter is, at the moment, only usable for audio distributing in an existing ML-network. Perhaps in a later stadium it will be usable for video distributing.

I think at the moment it's not worth upgrading from a rather new BV10 to a BV11 (not speaking of the new 55-inch screen). The costs are too high in comparison what is offered in the new BV11. Just my thoughts. . . .

But the B&O site says this converter is only for products which support NetLink (like the new BV11 and V1). What about B&O Play products and the existing BS5e? Will there be an update? Let us see what the future will bring us.
Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
Posts 1,090
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:54 PM

Beofan53:

But the B&O site says this converter is only for products which support NetLink (like the new BV11 and V1).

V1 is a PLAY product, BSd 5 Encore a stand alone product - NO MasterLink or Network Link.   

At the moment the NETWORK LINK CONVERTER can merely connect a BV11 as a VIDEO-MASTER
to a ML Audio-Master or to an existing ML setup ...

BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 482
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:59 PM
Thanks Vienna for this explanation.

I understand the new converter is at this moment only for use with the BV11 for audiodistributing in an existing ML-network. Quite limitted at the moment. But for new buyers a perfect solution till so far.
Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

Having read the complete user guide for BV11, there is one major drawback to a mixed Masterlink-Netlink network: sound delay!

If you have a complete Masterlink setup with a master audio system sending sound to BeoLink Active, BL2000 or BL3500 in link rooms, you will have a sound delay in the room where you place your TV when you want to play music on it; this is logical in a way, since there will be an analog-digital conversion in the..converter. Unfortunately for me, as this was the main reason for buying a BV11..Sad

ibg001
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
ibg001 replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 10:32 AM

Here the is an manual for Network Link but it is not updated with new products that supports like BV 11. You can get an idea of the infrastructure, but not for how B&O will handle video distribution with NL.

http://issuu.com/bangolufsen/docs/bang___olufsen_network_link_infrastructure

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
It doesn't seem dealers know much more about this new Network Link than we do...

I understand there is no video distribution from BV11 as main TV.

B&O website say you can only have TV in the system if you're using the converter... I wonder if that's true...

Couldn't I move my BV7 in the bedroom, and at least be able to get the audio sources from the main room?

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 2:26 PM

Hi Phil,

it seems only audio devices (BS 5, BS 4) in a masterlink environment (BS 5, BS 4) are supported by the NL/ML converter. That means NO video devices (BV 7 with V.OPT =6) can be component of the masterlink setup.

So you can´t use neither a masterlink Beovision (BV 7) nor a netlink Beovision (BV 11) in link rooms! And this limitation applies also if you only want to use a BV 7 to get audio sources from main room!

This is in my eyes a very poor solution! I will stay with my masterlink setup (BV 7 in main room, BV 10 in link room) until B&O offers a digital audio AND video distribution like the old analogue masterlink, maybe in 10 years...

Regards

Räuber

ibg001
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
ibg001 replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 4:01 PM

Everything cannot come the same day. BV 11 is a start and an indication that more will come. So be sure that Network Link will be the future. Of course it is a bit difficult when we own a lot equipment that support Master Link, but how should B&O have done otherwise when technology has to be changed to meet todays new requirements.

One thing I think that B&O should do very soon is just to reveal a bit of information on what to expect by NL in the future. That should help us all.

So B&O please describe just a bit of the future for NL on your web site. You can just add some future scenarios on the Bang and Olufsen web site.

I hope that B&O also reads these forums.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 5:51 PM
Yes, we need more information from B&O about Netlink.

Actually the NL/ML converter only provides to attach an audio masterlink system to BV 11, without another TV in link room.

And not only the new converter must placed between BV 11 and the audio device, but also a router (take a look into the manual of the NL/ML converter). My router is very far away from my living room. So for me a BV 11 would be a stand alone TV and this is not an option for me!

Regards

Räuber
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Raeuber:
Actually the NL/ML converter only provides to attach an audio masterlink system to BV 11, without another TV in link room.

That's what it seems from the small amount of info available on the website, but a (not so technical) dealer said to me you could possibly have other link TVs in the system, as long as they  are ML TVs (and not NL). So this needs to be clarified... we need more info, B&O if you read us...

Raeuber:
My router is very far away from my living room.

The TV needs the internet to get its software update, access "webmedia", and get access to your network to be controlled via your iPad, access and share sources via UPNP/DLNA.

You could have a second router, costs nothing... but the best actually would be an Airport Extreme, configured to connect to your main router wirelessly, and you use two of its RJ45 sockets to connect the TV and the converter. Allowing this TV to access the internet, your home network, and connect the converter at the same time.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 6:55 PM
Yes, Phil, I also assume a Beovision in link room (V.OPT = 6) will still work in the masterlink setup together with the NL/ML converter. Because if I disconnect my BV 7 in living room, I still can hear music from BS 9000 with BV 10 in link room!

And an Airport Extreme should also do the job as you described.

Regards

Räuber
tompa
Not Ranked
Posts 64
Bronze Member
tompa replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 11:24 PM

NL-ML converter can be placed there you want in your home if you have ML and wired connection to your network in that place (meaning that it not neccesary have to be in same room as BV11)

And also you can connect your BV11 wireless to your network and therefore you don´t need either ethernet or ML cable in mainroom there you place BV11, but B&O recommend wired connection to BV11 for two reason

1. The echo/delay on sound from ML system increase with wireless

2. You need very stable wireless network without disturbion elsevere sound dropout/connection failure can occur

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The NL/ML BeoLink Converter - with the current software - can only be used for connecting a BV11 to an existing ML-setup. Allowing you to play the sources from a Audiomaster on the BV11 AND to use the sources on the BV11 on ML-product (and yes: a Link-tv is by definition a ML- product). Due to the AD/DA-convertion you cannot avoid sound-delay.

ML ist only sound (and control) -  a videodistribution is not possible since the BV11 has no RF-modulator-option. The NL/ML Converter is a virtual ML-controller. At the moment it is locked to function as a VideoMaster, and can be used as Option 2/0 or 1/1 with an existing ML-master (and the attached ML-products).

In (near) future - you may think of a NL-based AudioMaster - it will be possible to use it to connect NL-Audio to a ML-videoproduct. There is definetely more to come Smile

It cannot be used with V1or BS5Encore since they are neither NL- nor ML- based products!

The NL-ML must be on a NetworkLink-network (with its own router/subnet) to function correct, and must be connected to the Internet to get automatic updates. It is managed ether through the Service Tool of the B&O-dealer or through its own webpage (like any other network-based product). Here some settings can be made according to the sources of your setup and how to activate them on the connected products.

These are details that any B&O-dealer could have told you, if he already had used the opportunity of informing himself via B&O-intranet.

Most of the dealers seems to think: the costumer must not worry - this thing works - and we will iinstall it for you if you need it!

Only very few of the B&O-costumers are as "technical interested" as a "Beoworlder" obvisiously is Whistle.

There is a tv - and there is a BV

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
PhilLondon replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 10:05 AM

Millemissen:

Most of the dealers seems to think: the costumer must not worry - this thing works - and we will iinstall it for you if you need it!

Only very few of the B&O-costumers are as "technical interested" as a "Beoworlder" obvisiously is Whistle.

That's true, but also because usually, the guy that sells isn't the installer and doesn't know that much about the tech side himself. Tech side which isn't becoming any simpler!

What still remains unknown to me, is whether or not I can still have a TV in a link room in option 5 or 6, and access the audio master or video master's sound (I understand I cannot get the video).

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:29 AM
wtlc2zpx:

What still remains unknown to me, is whether or not I can still have a TV in a link room in option 5 or 6, and access the audio master or video master's sound (I understand I cannot get the video).

Hi Phil,

I think it should work, because Millemissen said: "and yes: a Link-tv is by definition a ML- product".

You can access the audio master from the link TV because the converter works like a video master. And if I disconnect my actual video master (BV 7) from the mains, I can still access my audio master in main room (BS 9000) from my BV 10 in link room (V.OPT = 6). So I think it doesn't matter if the video master is a Beovision or the new converter.

To access the video master sound (BV 11) from the link tv, I think you have to use the AV command. If you only press LINK-TV in link room, the link room tv searches for the sound provided by the antenna cable which isn't available. To get the sound provided by the masterlink cable, I think you have to press LINK-AV TV. Then you will hear the sound of BV 11 on your link room tv (in analogue stereo).

But of course you have to test if it works, probably Millemissen had tested it yet.

Regards

Räuber
tompa
Not Ranked
Posts 64
Bronze Member
tompa replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 2:46 PM

" It cannot be used with V1or BS5Encore since they are neither NL- nor ML- based products! "

Millemissen are you sure? -I am not...

Because then beosound 5 encore was launched they told that in a few months NL to ML converter for bs5 encore should be released and then it delay that 1 year and  so on,

so i think there is only a sw issue ! and because bs5/bm5 they not released sw but now then more products in NL concept are to be released i think that also include encore 

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
tompa:

they told that in a few months NL to ML converter for bs5 encore should be released

They? Who said so?

Some people on this forum, yes I remember. Some dealers, possibly. B&O officially... No.

Although it would make perfect sense and I hope it us true, B&O has never officially promised so.

I doubt the v1 would be NL compatible one day. The whole range is for standalone products.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
Raeuber:

But of course you have to test if it works, probably Millemissen had tested it yet.

Exactly, currently, I do not know anyone who has tried and there is no official word from B&O either.

I wonder if the new configuration tool has been released to dealers?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Räuber,

why - the heck - would one want to hear the sound of the BV11-tv-tuner in a linkroom?

All (ML-)audio is accessed as you usually access the (ML-)audio i.e. Source for Audio and AV-Source for Video. See also BV11Userguide page 59 (in my danish version).

Greetings Millemissen

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

OK, it might be possible that the BS5E could be updatet for NL - I would rather think that we are going to see a somewhat (hardware)updatet version, a new audioproduct.

But that is only me guessing Unsure

"The Cofiguration Tool " is a tool for B&O-technicians for several different purposes f.ex. PUC-updating.

Of cource this tool is often updatet.

Greetings Millemissen

Page 1 of 2 (72 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS