Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MCL cable alternatives

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Jon Evans
Not Ranked
Oxfordshire, UK
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jon Evans Posted: Wed, Jun 25 2014 4:24 PM

It seems that the only option for buying MCL cable is a drum of 100m, for which the dealer wants £550! I am going to make my own cable bundle instead with regular speaker cable plus a separate power / data shielded cable. Can anyone see a problem with using a 2-core shielded cable for power and data? The specs for the original MCL cable show that only the data wire is shielded, but a 2-core shielded cable would have the power wire inside the shield as well. The cable run will be ~25m.

Brian
Not Ranked
California
Posts 72
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 6:07 PM

I'm in the same boat here. I'm not an expert on cable standards, but I'm thinking the cable's probably a standard part. If somebody knows the DIN or ISO Specification, that would help.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 6:16 PM

just an idea use a ML cable; should work

Jon Evans
Not Ranked
Oxfordshire, UK
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jon Evans replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 6:26 PM

I've just been looking at the PowerLink mark 2 cable and I think it would work - is that the one you meant?

edit: I see you mean this one: http://www.soundsheavenly.co.uk/bando-ml.htm which is a lot more expensive, but I guess more future proof.

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 6:49 PM

How about using two speaker cables and a microphone cable, if I remember it right, such a combo has the same characteristics as a mcl cable. Using a powerlink is a bad idea...

Wouter

Brian
Not Ranked
California
Posts 72
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 7:05 PM

Wouter:

How about using two speaker cables and a microphone cable...

Two speaker cables would carry both audio channels. The microphone cable would have to carry Data, Gnd, and 8.5V DC. Maybe a 3-strand stereo headphone cable? Obviously a single cable would be better from an aesthetic standpoint.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 7:44 PM

MCL carries the amplified speaker signal. Both Powerlink & Masterlink cables will be way too thin to perform properly in that application with long runs, and be unnecessarily complicated & expensive to begin with.

If you don't find an affordable source for the proper MCL cable, use for the speaker signals whatever cable you would be comfortable using with any passive speaker connection, and something thinner for the data / ground / power. I believe they would be happy in a headphone cable as Brian suggested, it's nothing critical. Still it's a good idea to have the data wire shielded to avoid it leaking into audio signals, just as it is in the proper MCL cable (see http://www.beoworld.org/beotech/wiring1.htm).

--mika

Jon Evans
Not Ranked
Oxfordshire, UK
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jon Evans replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 7:28 PM

I already have a nearly full 100m reel of speaker cable. I think this screened cable should work for power and data. The only difference from the stock cable is that both power and data will be screened but I don't think that will matter.

Thanks for your advice!

Brian
Not Ranked
California
Posts 72
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 4:29 PM

I found this dealer while searching for an MCL Cable: Quality Dream Audio. He seems to have the Y-harness and some assorted lengths of cable. I need a bit longer than what he's offering, but it might be worth a try.

Jon Evans
Not Ranked
Oxfordshire, UK
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Jon Evans replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 9:29 AM

Thanks Brian. I saw that too but I actually need something like 25m. I have ordered a couple of 3 pin speaker plugs from the dealer for £17.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS