Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MCL expander

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
Posts 271
Bronze Member
L Spad Posted: Mon, Sep 22 2014 10:24 AM

dear all,

i was wondering if anyone might have an old MCL expander that they are no longer using? I've been after one for quite a while. I actually saw one for sale once and passed it up, not realising they don't surface very often. I'm moving house and need to add a couple more rooms to the setup...

many thanks

luke 

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member
solderon29 replied on Mon, Sep 22 2014 11:35 AM

You may not need an expander?How many rooms(link kits) are you using.

I found that you could often run more link kits than specified without problems.It's more to do with power supply than data,you can even add a local supply at the furthest link kit.

Otherwise you can use active links perhaps for your extra rooms?In that case the kits are powered locally,so don't load the central system.

Are you planning long cable run's?

Regards,

Nick

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
Posts 271
Bronze Member
L Spad replied on Fri, Sep 26 2014 10:45 AM

Dear Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently running the MCL system from my Beomaster 7000. I have Beolab 6000 speakers in my main room, and use the Beomaster's amplifier to power 4 link rooms (2 MCL2a and 2MCL2av). In my new house I'd like to add another 2 to 3 rooms to that setup. I'm interested in the idea of using local power supplies; presumably I'd just connect a 7v DC supply to the MCL box instead of drawing power from the Beomaster? Do you have any wiring diagrams or further details of how I could proceed without the expander?

Many thanks and best wishes

Luke

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

Hello Luke.I don't expect you to have any problems with power supply to your proposed link system.The problem might be more to do with data supply.

All the link boxes are effectively connected in paralell,but as two of the new ones are locally powered (MCL2AV)this will lessen the load on the Beomaster supply.

In practice,I've experienced very few problems with MCL systems,it's simple and robust.You won't damage anything by connecting up the system as you plan to.The worst that could happen is that remote commands could be slow from link rooms.Keep all the mcl cabling as short as possible.B&O recommend max mcl cable in a system at 150mtr.

I have all the original installation notes,and a circuit diagram for the MCL expander,it's quite simple,and could be made up if you encounter prob's,but I doubt that you will.

Regards,

Nick

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS