Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Grumpy old men and gourmets

rated by 0 users
This post has 404 Replies | 3 Followers

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I am up in McAllen, doing a job in Reynosa, came to my nieces house at 5 pm, the kids were out to see the Xmas parade, the women out shopping, no food there, I made a fast Bolognesa and Pasta, Big pot of both, 5 Adults and 5 children ate it all.

I love to cook when it all gets eaten. I am a little grumpy with Rich, he send me a BG 3000, a Tweeter for M70, and a BG CD50 for parts. I am grumpy because he wont let me pay (just a little grumpy) anything. More about that when I am back in the CITY.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sun, Dec 7 2014 6:20 PM

Hi Søren,

We all know that you are kidding BIG TIME about being grumpy with Rich vis-à-vis his amazing generosity in gifting you with a Beogram 3000…. OMG, that is quite a gift! Big Smile

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Dec 8 2014 9:35 PM

Piaf:

a Beogram 3000…. OMG, that is quite a gift! 

Wrong BG3000.  I'm not that crazy.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, Dec 8 2014 11:03 PM

Rich:

Piaf:

a Beogram 3000…. OMG, that is quite a gift! 

Wrong BG3000.  I'm not that crazy.

Hi Rich,

My mistake.

I rather covet the older (1967) Thorens-based Beogram 3000 and have had an eye out for one for ages. Ages!

Thus I found the gift of same to Søren of breathtaking generosity.

I still hope one day to find the older model, but I rather suspect that nothing will ever replace the Beogram 4000 as my idea of the ultimate turntable.

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 10 2014 6:44 PM

Back to the original topic, this weekend I made a family birthday party dinner for my wife's family, counting myself there were 9 of us. So, I went back to the past with a cookbook my mother-in-law gave me that has proven to have some wonderful surprises in it. It's called "A Treasury Of Great Recipes" by Mary and Vincent Price. Yes, that Vincent Price, THE Vincent Price. Copyright 1965, it has some incredibly good recipes, Price was quite the gourmet and traveled the world extensively, this cookbook contains recipes from restaurants he found special all over the world. It's a wonderful book full of great food and stories too.

Two things immediately come to mind looking at this book, first, old recipes have a LOT more fat in them than newer recipes these days, for instance I made a big pot of baked saffron rice, came out just incredibly beautiful, most beautiful rice I've ever made, pale yellow with threads of saffron in it, but a big pot took two whole sticks of butter and fed maybe 10. The other difference is in presentation, in the 60s apparently high end presentation was a leaf of lettuce or parsley or an apple ring on a plate, big difference between that and the high art presentation styles of today. 

But the food is good. I've made his curry, a mild chicken curry, his saffron rice, for the party, along with a chocolate cake that is made up of 16 oz of bittersweet chocolate, 2 sticks of butter, and 6 eggs. Dense but choc overload.

I've also made his bouillabaisse, a wonderful lasagne verdi alla bolognese (green lasagna noodles and two types of sauce, meat with ground beef and pork, and a white sauce), all have been amazing. I got the book from my mother-in-law last Christmas as  it was her go to cook book and I've been doing most of the family parties. I like the things I've tried enough I'm going to do an experimental night once a week and cook something new out of the book each time. I'm looking at a hedonistic looking lobster bisque recipe right now with a salad for lunch this weekend.

Each recipe is presented with a little bit of advice and info from the Price's, and each section talks about the restaurants covered with stories from the Price's travels. Wonderful book and wonderful recipes from the not too distant past.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Jeff that is amazing. I have inherited a few 'older' cookbooks and I read with enthusiasm as I have also noticed that everything was made better with butter in those books.

I am planning to get out some of these books and make some of these.

I have a 70s Chinese cookbook which I find I prefer the sauces to today's updated version. I have noticed that cheaper cuts of meat were once used and now it's all fillet everything.

Bring Christmas I have been thinking of making a Christmas cake but it's been years.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Dec 11 2014 5:04 PM

Aussie Michael:
Jeff that is amazing. I have inherited a few 'older' cookbooks and I read with enthusiasm as I have also noticed that everything was made better with butter in those books.

I am planning to get out some of these books and make some of these.

I have a 70s Chinese cookbook which I find I prefer the sauces to today's updated version. I have noticed that cheaper cuts of meat were once used and now it's all fillet everything.

Bring Christmas I have been thinking of making a Christmas cake but it's been years.

I like old cookbooks. A friend of mine had an old one, dating back to the 1800s, that one year he made the most incredible pumpkin pie out of a recipe from it. It tasted old in that the flavor profile was all heavier, different spices, richer, etc. Much more of the old sugar plum kind of spicing, it was delicious, but as he commented a lot more work than a more modern pie, some of which was obtaining some of the ingredients.

You're right about Chinese cooking, as society has gotten more upmarket and foodie oriented all recipe books tend towards better ingredients. We all know Chinese cooking, if you weren't preparing hummingbird tongues for the Emperor, tended to be a bit more simple in its ingredients, not fillet for every thing.

Every Christmas I make two cakes, one is a traditional Roman Saturnalia cake with fruit, nuts, anise, etc. and a traditional fruitcake. I really don't like most of what passes for fruitcakes but the one I make is Alton Brown's Good Eats Free Range Fruitcake. No sticky candied brightly colored (artificially) dried fruit in it, all good dried fruit, tons of sugar, butter, rum, pecans, etc. Wonderful, I ran the numbers on it an a 10 inch fruitcake has well over 4200 calories in it. So, a "small" one inch slice has over 420 calories...but man it tastes good.

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I am sitting in a cold hotel room in Aguascalientes, Mexico. Hot waters is the translation of aguascalientes, didnt see or feel any hot water, except for in the shower, the room is cold, the food something you want to be without, The first day here i ordered a hamburger with fries, came out good, I was happy, if a hotel has good food its normally good all over. Got my room and checked for the heating thermostat, but no souch in the room, The switch for the air condition had 2 points for cold air, 2 points for ventilator, and 2 points red, I turned on the red, nothing happened, just outside air coming in, the outside temp was about 16°C, the same in the room. Next day I ordered the same hamburger, as I came in late from work, half cooked, fries like old socks. today I ordered chicken Cordon Bleu, I got 2 pieces of chicken *** scorched black, with ham (or look a like) and some of the shelve cheese stuffed halfway into the *** halfs. The chicken *** dry as the dust you find in vintage equipment. Am I Grumpy, NO Sir, I am living with this disaster, because I did a good job today, and screw everyone and anything that will take away that feeling.

Well, a couple of cubas is helping me keeping it up. Have a nice one all of you.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Jeff:
Every Christmas I make two cakes, one is a traditional Roman Saturnalia cake with fruit, nuts, anise, etc. and a traditional fruitcake. I really don't like most of what passes for fruitcakes but the one I make is Alton Brown's Good Eats Free Range Fruitcake. No sticky candied brightly colored (artificially) dried fruit in it, all good dried fruit, tons of sugar, butter, rum, pecans, etc. Wonderful, I ran the numbers on it an a 10 inch fruitcake has well over 4200 calories in it. So, a "small" one inch slice has over 420 calories...but man it tastes good.

I'd still go a slice.  You can always walk, talk, wish or swim it off :-)

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 11:51 AM
I hope today is a better day for you.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 7:53 PM

Hi Søren,

It appears the hotel staff mistakenly thought you were ordering Chicken Cordon Noir.

We can only imagine what such a meal might be like after coming out of a cold shower into a 16° room. Burrrrrr!

Thankfully you brought your cubas to help keep you warm.

I am going to Honolulu and if the hotel is anything like yours, I am coming right back home! Smile

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 8:05 PM

Where you staying in Honolulu? I had to go there multiple times for business a couple of years ago, we always stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village right on Waikiki. If you get time, you must go to the Hotel Royal Hawaiian on the beach, go to their Mai Tai bar outside, just before sundown is best, and get a scratch Mai Tai. There's disagreement over who originated the Mai Tai, but I've heard at least one story it was the Royal Hawaiian, and their scratch Mai Tai will embalm you. It's not the sugary sissy drink most place make it. I had two and had trouble standing up. Sit, nurse a drink, and watch the lights on the beach towards Diamond Head light up as night comes in. Paradise! Smile

Jeff

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, Dec 15 2014 3:35 AM

Hi Jeff,

The hotel choice has yet to be decided.

We were gifted unexpectedly with two business class tickets and paid-hotel but have not decided where to stay.

We are looking at the Modern, Courtyard, Hilton Waikiki, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Trump, and Sheraton Waikiki among others.

So many good choices, but as some “deals” come with a rental car included….. and that would be “paid for” so the choice is difficult.

The Royal Hawaiian appears to be past its prime, so we excluded it….. but can go for drinks.

Oddly enough I had a Mai Tai at the Mai Tai Restaurant in Fort Lauderdale and it blew off my socks with my shoes still on!

A man at an adjoining table had the same thing from a communal bowl (with long straws) and fell over backwards in his chair. I went over to him after the Mai Tai kicked in and said, “If you try to scratch your back and it is the floor, you are drunk!”

Poor man was punching in the air in my direction but wasn’t near to making contact.

Any suggestions for a Hawaiian visit would be GREATLY appreciated! Big Smile

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Hawai, one of the places I never went to, After Australia it is third on my list, the second is a trip with the Trans Siberian Railway. We await an extended report from Jeff (Piaf) even with my extended travel experience there are still so many wonderful places one just have to see, upon retiring I will concentrate more o traveling, and of course use my grumpy old man attitude everywhere. I just left my underwear to the reception for the laundry, told them, you dont have to iron it, only I will see it.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, Dec 15 2014 7:47 AM

Hi Søren,

Best wishes with your underwear.

The extended travel experience to Hawaii will indeed be fully reported. I can hardly wait.

Speaking of EXTENDED, there will be a brief extended report on my Tandberg reel-to-reel repair which is on-going after no less than SIX MONTHS!

I have seen all kinds of crazy repairs in my life, but this one deserves a prize.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Dec 15 2014 4:49 PM

Hi Jeff!

Lots of fun stuff to do in Hawaii. I don't know how long you're staying, but if you get time there are lots of day trips to the other islands, fly over in the morning, either take a tour bus or get a rental car, and fly back in the evening. It's a good way to see the other islands, which are all quite different. Kauai is the oldest island, and shows it, very rounded and heavy vegetation. Oahu is next, Maui is next, much harsher and more obviously volcanic terrain, and the Big Island of Hawaii is the newest geologically, still active volcanoes, and very rugged. If you could only pick one other island to go to I'd probably do Maui, it's a good combination of different features, a great drive to the top of the mountain, and a great drive down a twisty road to Hana on the north side thru jungle.

Oahu is where about 85% of the people live, and most of them live in Honolulu, so it's pretty much a big, nasty city. There are no hotels outside of Honolulu on Oahu, they keep the tourists segregated. I think you're right about the Royal Hawaiian being past its prime, still a good place to go for drinks. There's a decent restaurant next to it, Duke's Canoe Club. Duke was an Olympic gold medal winner in swimming I think, first native Hawaiian to do so.

A trip to Pearl Harbor to see the Arizona memorial is a very moving and worthwhile thing. Take the boat directly from the museum though, it's the only boat allowed to land and put passengers on and off the memorial, rather than just motor by it. The National Cemetery of the Pacific at the Punchbowl is beautiful, they have tile mosaics of every major battle/island invasion of the Pacific in WWII showing which units were where and the lines of advancement. Diamond Head, if you are feeling fit, has paths to the old WWII bunkers overlooking Waikiki Beach, quite a hike but worth it if you're healthy. Lots of good food in China Town, and a lot of gardens and such that you can get tours to or drive to on the other side of the island from Honolulu.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is nice, right on the beach, live music, the "village" has quite a few different restaurants and shops. I've not stayed at anywhere else, they met our per diem allowance for business travel so we all went there.

Hope you have a wonderful time! Drop me an email if you want to know anything else. I too look forward to your report and how you enjoyed your stay. I went once in the 80's with a dive buddy, and three times in one year a couple of years ago on business. Worst trip was the one where we flew out on Monday, had meetings Tuesday and Wednesday, and then flew back Thursday to Friday. I felt like I'd been beaten with a baseball bat (or cricket bat!).

Jeff

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 1:32 AM

FS is threatening to make goose for dinner Christmas Eve.  Anyone recommend a recipe?

Background:  usually we go to my mother's for Christmas Eve, where my stepfather cooks prime rib.  Then we have a ham on Christmas day over at my in-laws.

Well, this year, we're going to my mother's a day early, allowing my wife to cook a holiday dinner for a change.  So, beef, _______, and ham.  Fill in the blank.  My wife says "fowl" goes there, hence the goose.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 3:38 AM

Hi Rich and Søren,

I get such a chuckle each time I see you referring to your wives as the FS (fabric selector) as in this household I am the unquestioned fabric selector.

True, I chose black fabric for my speakers as I value originality.

But when it comes to home décor I am the one that chooses the furniture, places it, and decides on the colors.

My sister, who thinks of herself as a designer (she isn’t) once walked into our home and said, “What’s with you and beige?” It wasn’t beige it was “Linen White” and I did the house in Linen White, Beige, and Black.

I wasn’t the one who painted their kitchen electric RED, GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW and PURPLE to prove to the world that they were bold and have style. (She doesn’t)

I come from three generations of designers and although not trained in design, some of it must have rubbed off.

I still like my speaker frets to be black. Big Smile

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:34 AM
@Piaf ... Don't forget my FS!

OK she did not -uh- improve some speakers, but does suffer that terrible disease -uh- hobby that consumes rooms with bolts of cloth, imbeds pins in carpets and feet, and creates spider webs of threads ....

And the duck blue walls in some of my FLASH your B&O shots was her choice !

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:37 AM

Rich:

FS is threatening to make goose for dinner Christmas Eve.  Anyone recommend a recipe?

Background:  usually we go to my mother's for Christmas Eve, where my stepfather cooks prime rib.  Then we have a ham on Christmas day over at my in-laws.

Well, this year, we're going to my mother's a day early, allowing my wife to cook a holiday dinner for a change.  So, beef, _______, and ham.  Fill in the blank.  My wife says "fowl" goes there, hence the goose.

I'm envious, I've always wanted to cook a goose, but they are hard to find. I saw one, just one, once at a Publix in Orlando. I suspect you'd cook it like you would a duck. Alton Browm on Good Eats had a couple of good duck shows, including his Xmas special where he made wassail, duck, oyster stuffing, and sugar plums (which were interesting, I made them once).

Please let us/me know how you fare with the goose. How many lbs? 

Jeff

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 6:48 AM

Publix, Where Shopping is a Pleasure….. how I miss it!

Jeff

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 9:47 AM

Rich:

You can basically use the same recipes you would use for a duck (which is more or less a domesticated goose anyway). It has less grease, so beware of drying it out - but it will probably melt enough so that you don't want to roast veggies on the pan at the same time. Also it's entirely the same dark meat.

Don't know how you acquire the geese over there, but here you would also need to chew a bit more carefully in case the bird comes seasoned with tiny lead/steel balls Big Smile

--mika

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 11:21 AM

Two big disappointments in the past for me at Christmas.

1. Goose.

2. A very expensive local free range turkey.

The goose, I think, came from Costco. An awful lot of it dissappeared as fat/ grease during cooking, and the meat itself was very chewy. 

The turkey came from a free range farm in South Wirral and was some sort of rare variety. They had a website showing all the turkeys roaming free in the fields. I think they were mostly shed reared in reality.... There is probably some legal terminology about letting them out of the shed for a couple of hours meaning you can call them free range. This turkey was almost flavourless and tough. 

Haven't decided what we are doing this year, and time is getting short!

Graham

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:04 PM

Graham,

I did the free range turkey, it was the REAL deal alright, hand delivered in a black garbage bag, the clear sign of authenticity…… and it was AWFUL!

That was two years ago and I still vividly remember that tough, tasteless bird. Never again!

Jeff

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:16 PM

elephant:
@Piaf ... Don't forget my FS!

OK she did not -uh- improve some speakers, but does suffer that terrible disease -uh- hobby that consumes rooms with bolts of cloth, imbeds pins in carpets and feet, and creates spider webs of threads ....

And the duck blue walls in some of my FLASH your B&O shots was her choice !

If I understand you correctly; you have managed to entice your wife into your B&O obsession…. I meant to say hobby. (No I didn’t) If so, so much the better.

As LBJ used to say, “Far better to have the Indians inside the tent than out….” Laughing

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:19 PM

Piaf:

Publix, Where Shopping is a Pleasure….. how I miss it!

Jeff

They are a pretty good chain aren't they? They seem to try hard even though for good grocery stores in the US that aren't something like Whole Foods they almost have a monopoly. Here in podunk we have Publix, Kroger (Publix has much better produce and meat than Kroger), Walmart, Food Depot, Winn Dixie, and of course Piggly Wiggly.

Shot pellets in goose! Big Smile Yeah, that makes sense to me. Chew carefully lest you break a tooth.

Interesting comments about goose, sounds like a duck in many ways only more so. Not too sure about the chewy part, that would be off-putting. The whole "free range" thing is interesting as one show I saw pointed out that, at least in the US, there are no real laws or regulations governing what "free range" means. It basically means that the bird has to have an opportunity to get out of it's cage once a day, but there's no requirement that it does, or for how long the door is open. I remember a Good Eats where Alton Brown had a bird in a cage, opened the door, then immediately slammed it shut, and said that made it a "free range" bird.

For turkeys I have found that the best ones I've had have been fresh ones, not the deep frozen ones. They arrive late, usually only a week or less than the frozen ones before major holidays, but they seem to taste better and be juicy and tender. Of course I could be completely fooled and they were solid as a rock and defrosted by the vendor, but I think there are regulations as to if you call it never frozen it can't be stored less than a certain temp. Anyway, regardless I've had good luck with them.

I do have to do a duck soon though. I had one in my freezer until the power went down for a while and it thawed. Should have used that as an excuse to make it immediately but I got lazy.

Jeff

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:56 PM

Hi Jeff,

I grew up with Publix, which is based in Lakeland, and has always, but always been a high quality store…. and CLEAN. OMG if something gets spilled in Publix it is cleaned up in 30 seconds.

The only stores that were better than Public were Larry’s Markets and Olsen’s, both in western Washington State. (Also both gone today.) Larry’s Market had (are ya ready?) valet parking and a strolling violinist in a tuxedo at Christmas.

How Winn Dixie formally Winn Dixie/Quick Chek stays in business, I have no idea. They were terrible in the fifties and sixties and they didn’t get any better.

Piggly Wiggly? When did you guys get them? I remember them from suburban Chicago and they didn’t impress.

We have countless grocery stores: Market on Millstream, Quality Markets, Country Grocer, and Thrifty Foods. All reasonably good AND horrendously expensive.

So I shop The Great Canadian Superstore….. think a Wal-Mart with a lot of deferred maintenance. Dreadful produce (occasionally spoiled and they don’t remove it), the meats all died of natural causes, and they let entire sections run out of product (like bread), but the prices are good.

Hey, I put up with the Superstore in order to afford my B&O addiction.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 17 2014 7:26 PM

You're right, Publix is clean, and they rotate their produce out quickly if it doesn't sell. They get produce in every day from what the manager says, where many stores get it maybe twice a week. The only thing I really miss here in podunk is an Asian market. I can get the spices and most jarred sauces via Amazon or even at Publix, but fresh veggies are a problem. Can't get baby bok choi, bitter melon, straw mushrooms, kai lan, or anything like that locally, it takes a run to Atlanta. Publix does carry shitake and oyster mushrooms fresh though. And usually one type of fresh noodles.

We've had Piggly Wiggly stores in the South for as long as I can remember and earlier from what I hear, they weren't in Orlando but they had them in the panhandle. Instead of 7-11s growing up in the panhandle we had Jitney Juniors for quickie marts. In Hawaii most of the quickie marts are ABCs, whereas in Florida ABCs are liquor stores. When I was working in Hawaii we would always meet at the hotel Starbucks (they had three) to get together and drive out to the range but I'd hit the ABC and get a musubi (a big sushi roll made up of sushi rice, a thick slice of SPAM, sometimes a scrambled egg, all wrapped in nori, a Hawaii invention and quite good) and a cheap cup of coffee. Their coffee was usually dark, strong Hawaiian stuff, as good or better than the Starbucks and a lot cheaper. And musubi is a lot more filling and tasty to me than an overpriced scone.

I kind of miss Whole Foods, which we nicknamed Whole Paycheck due to the prices. I'm not into the organic produce thing (in fact it irritates me how they misuse the term "organic" as all food is organic as it contains carbon atoms which has been the definition of organic for at least 150 years), but I did love their cheese selection and more exotic foods and some veggies that were hard to find elsewhere. I could drop some coin on cheese there, can't recall the name but they used to carry this combination goat, sheep, and cows milk soft brie like cheese that was just incredible. I think it had higher fat content than raw butter, but boy was it creamy and good.

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:

When did my duck some time ago, I went for slow cooking in the oven, I had a 2.5 Kg duck in the oven for about 4 to 4.5 hours at 150°C the lowest setting on my propan oven, with the spice rub (heavy on the salt) in and outside it came out just delicious, soft and juicy meat. Now the goose is a bigger bird but I think if you do the math it would be about 1 hour/500 Gr. I took mine out of the oven with the meat thermometer showing 65°C and left it covered for 15-20 min. I placed a pan with vegs and water below the duck, used the vegs, water and grease from the duck for gravy. I kept adding water until the 3rd hours, there i added 2 cups of red vine. Finished I pressed the vegs and juice through a sieve, left it to cool a little, and then scooped off most of the grease, and used the juice to bake up a gravy, very good taste.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I am on the road, now in Guadalajara, no Honolulu for me, just work, will get home in time for Xmas,  Will only cook the Rice a la Mande this year. I was hoping to get home earlier and start on my M70s, but mammon rules, I have one day off tomorrow, I will relax and enjoy a couple of cubas.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Wanted to post this since I came home from TX. Just had a conservation with John (Sonavor) forgot to ship his grill pegs, sorry John. But I went to McAllen with my FS, my niece and her 2 girls, one 11 one 8 I think, Before starting my niece and her girls turned up with each one big suitcase, I put on my grumpy face and told the FS and the rest, "the 4 of you has to do with one big suitcase, I have to bring back 2 big speakers and some other stuff". Going back we had to stove somethings in the cabin of my good old Honda Accord. Here the pic taken just after we arrived, the bag and bundles on the ground and the bag on the top, was traveling with us inside the cabin, go figure, but Mexicans are ingenious and wonderful travel partners, they even thanked me for the trip.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 1:15 AM
And that is why I paid cash for an old minivan: for large payload road trips.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:01 AM

Hi Jeff,

That Publix is clean is an understatement and yes their produce is wonderful.

I am surprised that you didn’t find every cheese imaginable in their enormous cheese section.

Bok choi and all the rest are NO problem here as Victoria has the oldest Chinatown in Canada and it is large….. with the population to make it authentic.

I had seen Piggly Wiggly stores in Arkansas and Illinois, but I never noticed one in Florida. To me they were a Winn Dixie with a different name and that is not exactly a compliment.

Ah the on every corner ABC stores…. not bad, but more importantly, I miss their prices. The 4 Liter jug of cheap white wine that they sell for $9.95 is (are ya ready?) $34.95 here. (Sin tax)

Different product, same story, today I purchased a Foder book on Hawaii for $29.95. I pulled the price tag off revealing the US price and bar code for $19.95.

Speaking of what we really miss, YELLOW RICE, every grocery store on the west coast of Florida has a wide selection, but there is none here. Yellow rice is a staple of Cuban and Spanish food (Tampa) and it is wonderful.

True, yellow rice is just white rice with saffron, but the end product is more than that and saffron is expensive, whereas a bag of yellow rice is cheap. The yellow rice that is so commonplace anywhere on the west coast is thick, gooey, mildly sweet and ridiculously delicious.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 5:47 PM

Publix does OK on cheeses, but nowhere near the size, variety, or exoticness of Whole Foods alas.

Yellow rice is a favorite of mine, but if I buy the bags I have to get the low sodium version as all the others are loaded with MSG which I can't abide. The ore traditional Latin American type seems to have more than saffron, cumin and coriander and such. I usually make the bags in my rice cooker, a National brand fuzzy logic one that also makes incredibly good brown rice.

I have two recipes for yellow rice, one which uses tumeric to get the yellow and has a number of additional spices, like the aforementioned cumin and coriander. And the baked saffron rice recipe from the Vincent Price cookbook. That one produced the most beautiful rice I've ever seen, huge, shiny, plump grains of rice, a pale yellow with red threads of saffron here and there. Very rich, it takes a fair amount of butter, you sweat onion and a little garlic in butter, add the rice and stir to coat, then add warm water you've soaked saffron in for an hour or so, bring to a boil then put in the oven in a covered pot, you bake it for 10 min, stir and add more boiling water, then bake for another 15 min. When I opened the oven and looked thru the glass pot lid I just about swooned! I've never seen such beautiful rice!

Jeff

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Dec 22 2014 2:10 PM

Goose update:  the great meat market and deli on the way to the in-laws in Oviedo didn't have any goose or duck, so after much hemming and hawing, we settled on some nice looking filets.  Much of the decision was based on the wines I had chosen.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Dec 24 2014 5:56 PM
Happy holidays Smile

--mika

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Rich:

Goose update:  the great meat market and deli on the way to the in-laws in Oviedo didn't have any goose or duck, so after much hemming and hawing, we settled on some nice looking filets.  Much of the decision was based on the wines I had chosen.

Better luck next year 😉

M🎄M

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Dec 24 2014 6:30 PM

Thanks

Rich:

Just get the wine down your neck, you'll soon not care or notice anyway!!

Have a very good day!!

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 24 2014 6:35 PM

Very nice and homey. Is that an Amaryllis on the upper right side of the table?

tournedos:
Happy holidays Smile

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Dec 24 2014 7:09 PM

Rich:

Based on my goose experience you should be thankful that you've had a narrow escape.

Graham

Page 4 of 11 (405 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS