Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Grumpy old men and gourmets

rated by 0 users
This post has 404 Replies | 3 Followers

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Apr 5 2015 8:17 PM
Hosted a tempura dinner party Friday night. I was so busy deep frying food (and later cleaning) it never occurred to me to take any photographs.

My favorite: cauliflower.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

For a family reunion we rented a house in nowhere near Concan TX, now how do make breakfast for 20 people without a lot of work. 1 white onion, 2 bell peppers (red and green), 10 mushrooms, 20 eggs, 2 big cans of re fried brown beans (Frijoles refritos), sour cream, butter, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.

Slice the mushrooms, chop the other greens into small dices, melt 30-50 grams of butter in a big frying pan, ad onions until clear, ad mushrooms until light brown, ad bell peppers for 10 min on half heat. Meanwhile heat the 2 cans of beans in a pot ad sour cream, about 0.5 liter, let simmer until serving. Now ad 20 eggs, mixed with a little milk and whipped to an even mixture, to the greens, cook and move until an even mix is there, without the eggs getting dry. Ad salt,black pepper and cayenne pepper to both to taste, serve with hot tortillas, hot black coffee and if available slices of fresh ripe avocados. They ate it all, nothing left. prepare time +- 20 min.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Apr 7 2015 12:30 PM

We hosted the annual Easter brunch party. Made one of my wife's old family recipes, Eggs Goldenrod. Great way to use up all the leftover Easter eggs, which since they had 4 kids was an important thing. You take hard boiled eggs, and separate the yellow yolks from the whites. You then cut the whites into chunks, make a standard white sauce, and dump the egg whites in the sauce to heat a bit. Then you place this on a toasted English muffin, and use either a grater or coarse sieve to break up the egg yolks over the top, so they look like a heavy sprinkling of Goldenrod pollen. Very tasty.

For dessert I also made this:

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/laura-calder/chocolate-framboise.html

Turned out amazing, just this silky smooth, raspberry chocolate mousse texture, covered in whipped cream and raspberries. Since my wife loves raspberries, this made me a hero, at least until I do something else to get in the doghouse! Big Smile

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I have done an amazing pork and broken rice dish

Pork fillet fried with:

Carrot

Broccoli

Peanuts

Shallots

Spring onions

My world famous thanks to this forum lol hot and sour sauce

Green peppercorn

Ginger

Oyster sauce

Snow peas / mangetout

Sesame oil

Once all done I stir fried in steam rice and was a real knock out

Featuring Samantha Jade on my A2

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Wed, Apr 8 2015 4:25 PM

Holiday Corn Chowder

For Easter we had the expected turkey and trimmings, but I thought it would be nice to have something “different,” so I made Corn Chowder. This is essentially a recipe off the internet, but tweaked a bit.

4 slices of smoked bacon

1 yellow onion diced

3 cups of fresh corn

3 cups of whole milk

½ cup of cream

1 large potato peeled and diced

Cook bacon until crisp and remove from skillet.

Sauté onions in bacon fat until soft.

Add 2 cups of milk.

Puree 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of corn in food processor.

Add spices to taste, I used cayenne pepper.

Add purée to pot.

Add potatoes to pot.

Add corn to pot.

Simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.

The above recipe made a real hit with the family, but as an extra bonus, when combined with barbequed chicken the following day, made for one of the best left-over dinners I have ever had, if I say so myself. Big Smile

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Such a nice day in Mexico, enjoyed the good weather, sitting outside in the shade, (only dogs and crazy Englishmen stays in the sun, not my sayings, old Mexican) with a good book, when I was ready to do the BG 1000, my wife came back from the market, she forgot her valet at home and had only MXP 50.00 in her pocket (or handbag, who knows with women), result: She came back with 6 chicken legs (drumsticks) left these on the kitchen table and told me "see what you can do with these".

They looked good, I washed them properly in hand warm water, dried them off with a towel, rubbed the skin with salt, left them for half an hour, then painted them all over with olive oil, placed then in a nonstick pan and sprinkled them with a mixture of each one tsp. salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper and paprika.

Into the preheated oven at 250°C, for 15 min. then temp down to 200°C for about 35 min. Checked wit meat thermometer 70°C

Came out crunchy and juicy, the skin very spicy, so adjust condiments to your liking. Served with potatos mixed with bacon and onions. Peel and dice the potatoes (1/2" dices) cook for 5 min after the water boils, chop half a small white onion and 4-5 slices of bacon, fry the bacon until brown, guard the bacon in bowl, leaving the grease in the frying pan, add the chopped onions to the bacon grease until clear, when the potatoes are ready pour away the water end add to the frying pan, fry and turn until light brown, add the bacon and mix it. The frying pan will have rests from the drumsticks, if wanted, add 1 cup of chicken broth and scraping the frying so all the rests gets incorporated and make a gravy. If your bacon is very greasy pour away most of the grease before frying the onions.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, Apr 13 2015 4:10 AM

Hi Søren,

Your chicken recipe is almost identical to mine, however the way you cook potatoes is something I haven’t tried, but OMG I WILL! Sounds sumptuous!

For me, you can put bacon in just about anything. ¡Bacon, vaya con Dios! Lets have a Party !!!

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I made gummy shark fillets with saffron beurre blanc which was great

The sauce is quite easy to make

Reduce down white wine and white wine vinegar with shallots saffron and peppercorns

I flambed mine to reduce the alcohol

When reduced, strain and whisk in butter to your liking

It really was a great match to this fish.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, May 4 2015 5:19 PM

Aussie Michael:
I made gummy shark fillets with saffron beurre blanc which was great

The sauce is quite easy to make

Reduce down white wine and white wine vinegar with shallots saffron and peppercorns

I flambed mine to reduce the alcohol

When reduced, strain and whisk in butter to your liking

It really was a great match to this fish.

What proportion of white wine to white wine vinegar? Sounds yummy and perfect for fish.

Jeff

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, May 9 2015 12:46 PM
Sometimes you gotta make your own Chicago style at home.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sat, May 9 2015 5:24 PM

Rich,

I put on three pounds just LOOKING at the picture.... and it was worth it!

Good job! Surprise

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:
Sometimes you gotta make your own Chicago style at home

I have dreamed about selling hot dogs on Estadio Azteca, 110.000 seats, every weekend, but I just cant get the Mexicans away from tacos and horrible pizzas

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Jeff:

What proportion of white wine to white wine vinegar? Sounds yummy and perfect for fish.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Actually 1:1

Sounds like it wont work but it does. I actually added a little bit of sugar, like 1 tsp to counteract
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Sunday afternoons are perfect for Australian sparkling wine, steamed oysters with pickled ginger and my hot and sour sauce.

A perfect entree into the Thai massaman curry i've been working on today, along with my mounting cable box on the wall finishing off the Avant project in the rear room

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, May 10 2015 2:22 PM
Teaching the kids how to make their mother pancakes on Mother's Day.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, May 10 2015 4:01 PM

Aussie Michael:
Jeff:

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Actually 1:1

Sounds like it wont work but it does. I actually added a little bit of sugar, like 1 tsp to counteract

Thanks! Actually it does sound like it would work based on a couple of other things I've tried. Just as you say need a tad bit of sweetness to counteract, if you're not using a sweet wine.

I've had a good week since I found out the local grocery chain store, Publix, can order over 80 kinds of fresh fish. They had gotten in some branzino, which I'd never tried, so I picked up some of that, and had them order some arctic char for me.

I also made a roast chicken and a great pan sauce. Used a tablespoon of the leftover chicken fat, and the fond in the roasting pan (which was a cast iron skillet). Cooked some shallots in the pan, diced fine, then added chicken stock and reduced it some, followed by butter to thicken, and tarragon and lemon after it came off the heat. Yummy.

The arctic char is between a trout and a salmon in flavor, I like it because it's not as strong a fish as salmon. Pale orange flesh, just sauteed it in a pan with some olive oil, sprinkled the fish with salt and grains of paradise instead of pepper.

The branzino fillets I salted and peppered, then dredged in flour, and cooked in a fairly hot pan with olive oil, skin side first holding them down with the spatula now and then to make sure the skin crisped. I see the reason branzino is so popular, they were just delicious with such a simple preparation.

Today for Mother's Day we're having my MIL and SIL over and making chicken country captain, a traditional southern dish, saffron rice, and some green beans.

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:
Teaching the kids how to make their mother pancakes on Mother's Day.

Beautiful girls Rich, may they grow up to be BeoGirls. Next year leave it to them and stay in bed on mothers day

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, May 10 2015 9:38 PM
Rolling out the fresh pasta....

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, May 10 2015 9:39 PM
.....starting the meat sauce.....

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, May 10 2015 11:31 PM
.....lasagna noodles cooked......

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, May 10 2015 11:31 PM
.....lasagna built.....

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, May 10 2015 11:32 PM
....lasagna cooked. Happy Mother's Day!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, May 11 2015 1:02 AM
Well done Rich !

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Jeff that fish sounds good. I always prefer trout to salmon because of the richness so an in betweener sounds good

That sauce you reduced down also sounds yummy

To Rich well done teaching your girls how to make pancakes. It's nicer to know than how to open the packet or shaker.

Also great job on your lasagne. I put sliced fennel in mine and fried spinach balls.
Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Found a good recipe today, going to cook it in the evening

Chicken Stroganof

ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • One 10-ounce package cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 11/2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 4 cups hot cooked buttered noodles
  • 1 well mixed Cuba for the cook, when empty ask the assistant for refill.

directions

Sprinkle the chicken with 1 tablespoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate.

Add the mushrooms, shallots, remaining 1 tablespoon paprika, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots and mushrooms are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute. Add the broth and lemon juice, and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.

Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the yogurt and parsley. Serve with the noodles

Instead of oil I use Danish butter for frying

Instead of noodles, I will serve with my own mashed potatoes, cut bacon strips into small squares, in pan fry until light brown, save bacon and leave a little of the grease in pan, add 1/2 to 1 chopped onion  to pan fry until clear or starting to get light brown, set aside. Meanwhile the potatoes are cooked and ready to mash. melt some butter in a pot add mashed potatoes add a little milk stir add milk until just right consistence, add onions and bacon stir until well mixed.add salt and pepper to liking. During the prep. keep pot on low heat. You will have to figure out the quantities yourself, depending on servings.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, May 11 2015 11:03 PM

Oh Søren,

I gotta try that recipe! And I definitely will.

I especially loved the included ingredient “one well mixed cuba for the cook,” with further instructions for the ”assistant to refill when empty.” Drinks

That’s how to live alright!

Jeff

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, May 11 2015 11:11 PM

Hey Søren,

You have both a FS and a CA (cuba assistant) and if I read you correctly, and they are the same person. High living at it’s VERY best!

Salute!

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, May 12 2015 1:34 AM

One of my wife's family recipes that is a perennial favorite is Lasagne Verdi alla Bolognese from the cookbook written by Vincent and Mary Price. Yes, that Vincent Price of horror B movie fame. It's a fascinating book, somewhat dated as its from the late 50s-early 60s, it's a collection of recipes they gathered from famous restaurants around the world on their travels. They were quite the gourmets. What's interesting to me are one, just how much more fat, oil, butter, etc. the recipes have and two how much presentation at these high end restaurants have changed since then 

it is a wonderful recipe, spinach lasagna noodles layered alternately with ground pork and beef with celery, carrots, and onions alternating with layers of white sauce. 

If anyone wants it I will transcribe it here. 

Jeff

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Jeff:
One of my wife's family recipes that is a perennial favorite is Lasagne Verdi alla Bolognese from the cookbook written by Vincent and Mary Price. Yes, that Vincent Price of horror B movie fame.

And he says as he makes it "I'ma gonna make mince meat out of you"

Sorry.  I couldn't help myself. :-)

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, May 12 2015 2:15 AM

LOL!!!

Hanibel Lechter still has him beat...I ate his liver with fava beans and a nice chianti...

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Jeff:

One of my wife's family recipes that is a perennial favorite is Lasagne Verdi alla Bolognese from the cookbook written by Vincent and Mary Price. Yes, that Vincent Price of horror B movie fame. It's a fascinating book, somewhat dated as its from the late 50s-early 60s, it's a collection of recipes they gathered from famous restaurants around the world on their travels. They were quite the gourmets. What's interesting to me are one, just how much more fat, oil, butter, etc. the recipes have and two how much presentation at these high end restaurants have changed since then 

it is a wonderful recipe, spinach lasagna noodles layered alternately with ground pork and beef with celery, carrots, and onions alternating with layers of white sauce. 

If anyone wants it I will transcribe it here. 

Try adding red and green chopped bell peppers to the ground pork, or change the pork with ground beef or 50/50

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Sylvia is FS and CA, and my best friend, lover and wife, (Mextex Wifa), she cleans the kitchen after my vigorous cooking.

To the Chicken Stroganof, I didnt have Greek yoghourt so I used sour cream, and no fresh parsley I used basil, go easy on the lemon it will overtone the other spices. Use a lot of sweet Paprika and black pepper. Before adding lemon and yoghourt taste it. Use homemade chicken broth.

I hate the way the Mexicans prepare chicken, dry and absolutely tasteless. I always looks for new recipes to show them how its done. This recipe is ideal for big parties If you dont find boneless thighs use beast with an R

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, May 12 2015 2:56 AM

The meat layers are 50/50 gnd beef and pork.

Jeff

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Tue, May 12 2015 7:25 PM

Søren Mexico:
Sylvia is FS and CA, and my best friend, lover and wife, (Mextex Wifa), she cleans the kitchen after my vigorous cooking.

Hi Søren,

You and Sylvia share the perfect relationship, that so few of us ever find: “best friend, lover, and wife” said in that order, says it all.

Respectfully I might suggest adding confidant to your list because I have no doubt that the term applies.

Congratulations!

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, May 15 2015 8:20 PM

OK, let's talk about "fusion" cuisine. I just got back from a nearby town and lawd have mercy, I had the most unique fusion cuisine. Mexican and Southern BBQ fusion! Was absolutely delicious! Story was that after fisnin these two good ol'boys were hungry, one wanted Mexican, one wanted BBQ, and so the Redneck/Mexican fusion was born. Big Smile

I had fried catfish tacos with jalapeno slaw, and my wife had quesadillas with pimento cheese and pulled pork. Just delicious pork, smoky and tender.

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, May 15 2015 8:29 PM

Jeff:

OK, let's talk about "fusion" cuisine. I just got back from a nearby town and lawd have mercy, I had the most unique fusion cuisine. Mexican and Southern BBQ fusion! Was absolutely delicious! Story was that after fisnin these two good ol'boys were hungry, one wanted Mexican, one wanted BBQ, and so the Redneck/Mexican fusion was born. Big Smile

I had fried catfish tacos with jalapeno slaw, and my wife had quesadillas with pimento cheese and pulled pork. Just delicious pork, smoky and tender.

I'm all for mixing take-aways at home, say a few chinese and indian dishes.

Most of the time we seem to go for take-aways following a pattern. A few weeks of maybe collecting from a particular indian restaurant. Then we complain to ourselves about how the same base sauces permeate all dishes. Then we go off indian for a couple of months. Mixing take-aways from different cultures works for me.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, May 15 2015 8:33 PM

And another thing to be grumpy about........

I really like the photographs of dishes in this thread, but I really hate it when out with friends or relatives who get their phones out to photograph every dish that arrives at the table.

Graham

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, May 15 2015 8:44 PM

Unfortunately, Graham, that's the world in which we now live.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Fri, May 15 2015 9:37 PM

You are right Rich, of course, but it IS a compliment.

Far better than having lunch, like I did, with two good friends that spent the entire time on their cell phones talking to other people. Why we even bothered to be sitting together escapes me entirely. Embarrassed

Jeff

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, May 15 2015 9:55 PM
My wife and I have been out and seen couples not say a word to each other the entire evening. And they didn't even have phones out!

Page 6 of 11 (405 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS