Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New Implosive Sound Center

rated by 0 users
This post has 63 Replies | 4 Followers

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Mark:

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Lol
benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 11:45 AM

Despite what I told in my previous post I think that its design is more and more growing on me. I need time to get used to the changes...

I contacted twice the Devialet service to ask them about a real standby mode (till now it seems it needs 20w!!!) and about bluetooth capability and both times they replied within 30 minutes! They told that these till now missing functions will be activated to a next software update! They try to make their devices the more upgradable as possible and fight against 'scheduled end of life'. I heard that clients receive now their units with a bluetooth optical adapter to use till the onboard bluetooth module is activated!

I never had such a good experience with B&O, and this could finally push me to leave my till now favorite brand for Devialet.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Aug 18 2015 12:44 PM

Well this particular speaker looks ugly to me and doesn't go with the very expensive Devialet amplifier which is a thin polished aluminium (?) block.

Graham

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Aug 20 2015 3:54 AM

The Phantom by Devialet is a new compact active loudspeaker.

You don't need an Expert Devialet amplifier to stream your music.

The application Spark drive your music from your smartphone, or iPhone.

Devialet use only quality material like aluminium.

Devialet Phantom is made exclusively in France. Smile

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Fri, Aug 28 2015 2:15 AM

benoit:

Despite what I told in my previous post I think that its design is more and more growing on me. I need time to get used to the changes...

...I never had such a good experience with B&O, and this could finally push me to leave my till now favorite brand for Devialet.

Agree Benoit Smile

Devialet Phantom leaves you not indifferent.

I think DP have a good design.

Like you DP grow on me.

Devialet is very nice brand.

Quality and technology are Top premium.

I consider to buy 2 with a dialog.

I don't leave Bang & Olufsen.

Actually, Iam very disappointed by B&O

which don't own the same spirit of excellence. Sad

Unboxing the Devialet Phantom is magic Big Smile

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Fri, Sep 11 2015 12:59 PM
New video

How to pair your remote with Phantom ... simple Big Smile

http://youtu.be/raoAyMAKYkM

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Fri, Sep 11 2015 1:11 PM

No idea why you are promoting this blob of plastic so enthusiastically.

Endless promotion of every trivial detail of a very unattractive speaker (not to mention its truly awful looking stand) is difficult to understand.

Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 11 2015 2:08 PM

vikinger:

Endless promotion of every trivial detail of a very unattractive speaker (not to mention its truly awful looking stand) is difficult to understand.

Graham

I have to agree with you Graham. In general, I admire funky design, just because traditional boxes are so boring, but this thing is fugly, and their specs are highly suspect, especially in the LF extension. More to the point, why is someone hawking so much about it here, on a Beo forum?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Martin
Not Ranked
Sweden, Skövde
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Fri, Sep 11 2015 5:12 PM

nt

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member

Jeff:

vikinger:

Graham

I have to agree with you Graham. In general, I admire funky design, just because traditional boxes are so boring, but this thing is fugly, and their specs are highly suspect, especially in the LF extension. More to the point, why is someone hawking so much about it here, on a Beo forum?

Regarding the low frequency extension, it is a little misleading at first glance.  However, if you read the specifications on their website, you can see that while it might go to a very low frequency in the bass, one speaker can't produce a high volume at that frequency.  Perhaps one could have (5) speakers in a surround sound set up and rely on bass coupling to have a suitable low frequency volume.

While it certainly isn't a B & O speaker, I think it is good to see and be aware of what other manufacturers are doing in the active speaker market, especially those manufacturer's who are coming up with new ideas like B & O.

Regarding it's looks, how a product performs is much more important to me than what it looks like.  I write that as someone who only has BeoLab speakers.  Yes, they look rather odd, but I think they look odd so they sound their best.

D

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 13 2015 2:45 AM

There's an old audio engineering saying about speakers, deep bass, high output/high efficiency, small size, pick any two. No way they are getting true deep bass at high output with a small volume, though there are numerous tricks to make the less astute think there's bass, people with no real experience with true deep bass. Bose excels at these tricks. 

But what Devialet really needs is to make a turntable, vinyl is HUGE now!

Jeff

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Fri, Sep 18 2015 11:52 PM
From today

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Sep 19 2015 12:09 AM

BeoBoy68:
From today

I think Asterix owns this one.

Graham

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Sat, Sep 19 2015 1:25 AM
vikinger:

I think Asterix owns this one.

Graham

Certainly Big SmileYes - thumbs up
BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Sat, Nov 14 2015 11:57 PM
Just received today an email from Quentin Sannié - the Devialet CEO

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Nov 15 2015 12:36 AM

That's lovely especially as business in the 21st century is so heartless controlled by fat cats. I always wondered why Apple didn't post anything on their website last January after the attacks in France and haven't with this - especially considering they are always telling the world that they care so much about the customers and how they almost do it all for love!

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Nov 15 2015 9:29 AM

Tim Cook did react on his Twitter.

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Wed, Jun 29 2016 12:49 AM

New Rose Gold PHANTOM Big Smile

4,500 W • 108dB • 14Hz-27KHz

More Powerful 8X

Titanium Tweeter

New ADH

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/devialet-gold-phantom-wireless-speaker/

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jun 29 2016 5:19 AM

Still looks like King Kong's suppository.

Jeff

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Jun 30 2016 9:45 AM
@ Jeff

In any case, this French product has the merit of being innovative !

J'adore Devialet ! Big Smile

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jun 30 2016 5:51 PM

BeoBoy68:
@ Jeff

In any case, this French product has the merit of being innovative !

J'adore Devialet ! Big Smile

Oh, I'll agree, and it gets points from me for daring to be something unique. I still don't find it attractive, but at least it's different. Things in general are so uniform and bland these days I credit any company, car makers, whatever, that dare to do something different. Like the Nissan Juke, it actually apparently sells as I see a lot of them around. Not something that I'd buy I think, but darned if every time I see one they bring a smile to my face.

Jeff

vytoX
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
vytoX replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 6:18 PM

I own a B&O A9. Recently (June 2018), I auditioned the Devialet Gold Phantom system (stereo pair) in the flagship U.S. store of the Devialet company, in New York city. I pretty much ran out screaming out of there. Horrific midbass thump that just made it impossible for me to listen to music. And, potential buyers, think about this: if the Devialet company itself thinks this is the way to show off their fancy system, and it sounds that uneven, where does the buyer fit into all this? The Devialet folks may have some great technical ideas, but until they can demonstrate a system that does not chase audiophiles out of the room, they have a lot of work left to do. I agree that the system has an impressive lack of strain when played loud, but there was no good imaging in the audio and a crazy-uneven frequency response took all the fun out of the situation. The sound that I heard competes with $300 loudspeaker systems, no more. Being a soundbar, the stereo width of the A9 is not great, but surprisingly it was not much better with the true-stereo Devialet setup. And the overall sound was way, way worse with the latter.

The B&O products are not pleasantly priced, and company has a lot to learn about giving a useful iPhone control app for its products, but at least their sound does not chase me out of the room.

• Filed under:
koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 11:23 PM

Too much bass.....

I don't like the sound.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi everyone,

I have had a bit of experience with the Phantom, having heard them at initially following the UK launch in Harrods and more recently at the Hifi Wigwam show at Scalford Hall.  As with the newer B&O speakers, Devialet make extensive use of DSP to shape the sound, with the result that the audio performance of the Phantom is quite stunning compared to the cabinet size.  Bass extension appears to be very deep, but this varies with music type and complexity so I suspect that some artificial psycho-acoustics are used to accentuate this.

Even a single Phantom fills decent sized room easily and two of them paired together is quite an experience to behold.  However......

Connectivity is a bit of a nightmare, as Devialet's Hub (called the Dialog) only has digital inputs (optical/Ethernet/USB) and the processing delay through the system is VERY pronounced (significantly longer than the latency of Beolab 50 or 90 in Wide mode).  This makes using a Phantom with any video source impossible (indeed, I spoke at length to Devialet's Technical Support team on this issue and they were unable to come up with a resolution).

I have received a few enquiries recently from B&O customers who have purchased Phantom speakers to use with their B&O TVs.  The simple answer to this is "DON'T DO IT!"......Phantom is not workable as a TV speaker.

For audio use, if all your sources are digital, then maybe it will work for you.  A Phantom (or two) will certainly impress your friends when they first hear it.  However, for serious music listening I found it lacking and, as mentioned above, it will not work with a TV.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 2 of 2 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS