Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New Implosive Sound Center

rated by 0 users
This post has 63 Replies | 4 Followers

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 Posted: Wed, Dec 17 2014 11:08 PM
Just for your information Yes - thumbs up

PHANTOM

New Implosive Sound Center

by Devialet

Revolutionary Sound Design

http://en.devialet.com/home-en/

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 9:22 AM

BeoBoy68:
Just for your information Yes - thumbs up

Can you explain how this information is on topic, and not just a spammed advertisement for a random non-B&O product that should be deleted from a B&O forum? Even a few words of your own could help.

--mika

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 9:36 AM

tournedos:
Can you explain how this information is on topic, and not just a spammed advertisement for a random non-B&O product that should be deleted from a B&O forum? Even a few words of your own could help.

+1

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 9:48 AM

It is a bit of an odd post that does come across as advertising.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 10:06 AM

BenSA:

It is a bit of an odd post that does come across as advertising.

The OP is French/or lives in France at least and the company producing this product is French.  The OP has also created another post highlighting this same product today and previously asked for Geoff Martin's thoughts on an amplifier/sound system produced by the same company:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/12415.aspx

They do make grand claims (without much to back it up) and are horrendously expensive.

The OP is an active member and involved in a whole variety of discussions on B&O related issues.  If he is a fan of this company who make extravagant claims, why not bring it to our attention so we can see the 'competition' and allow Geoff to de-bunk them?  It's no more 'off-topic' than threads about watches or cars which are very popular here on Beoworld, or what food we are eating on a particular day.  I don't see it as advertising, merely someone who is proud of a development from his own country.  I'm not French by the way.

Members on here frequently post about alternative sound systems, speakers, TV's etc.  I think it's a good thing to view alternative thinking/designs and hope we are open enough to do this as a forum.

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Never the less - some kind of 'link' to B&O/a B&O product could be expected.

Merely announcing that 'french' product without any personal comment or question has - as we have seen - led to the impression, that this thread (and the frech one too) might be an advertisement.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 10:25 AM

When seeing it, and with all the claims of impressive sound, and its price point (1700€ /piece), I instantly thought "that might finally be a competitor in front of something like a WISA BL3 or BL17".

But to be sure, I must listen to this thing.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 10:26 AM

But I totally agree about the fact that the topic started in a wrong way...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

For those interested Big Smile

there is an article with some pictures from Chris Connaker on his Computer Audiophile website:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/615-devialet-unleashes-phantom/

Chris is usually utterly impressed by such new inventions - have a look if you might.

I noticed that he mentioned the app (Sparks), that Devialet created for the system.

The approach that they are taking there, seems interesting - and surely something that B&O should watch out for.

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 11:40 AM
Well despite the fact it looks ugly, it could be suited to my need for a good stereo center speaker and replace my bl7.2, bulky and heavy.

I will listen to them next week.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 12:16 PM

Dave Farr:
It's no more 'off-topic' than threads about watches or cars which are very popular here on Beoworld, or what food we are eating on a particular day.  I don't see it as advertising, merely someone who is proud of a development from his own country.

The car / watch / camera / food threads are (or should be) in the lifestyle subforum, which was created exactly for that kind of stuff.

There are plenty of Finnish products I'm proud of, but I don't post them here. I agree this product can be interesting to a lot of B&O fans as well, but an almost non-existent narrative and a non-clickable link to an external site is not the way to bring them to our attention.

The world is full of URLs to paste and there has to be some limit and guideline to which and how they are accepted here. Having to make these kind of decisions is what makes this job hard. Now all we need is representatives of five other media player products screaming about why they cannot post their ads here. I'm sure some Beoworlders would be interested in cheap ex-display kitchens and fake Chanel products as well, but we delete them. Just a small original writeup could've brought the OP's post to at least grey area, instead of ringing the "advertisement" alarm bell in most people's heads.

Now I hope this thread will develop into a lively discussion on how and why that product is interesting to current and potential B&O enthusiasts and how it could be related to B&O products or even interoperate with them.

--mika

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

olvisab:
Well despite the fact it looks ugly, it could be suited to my need for a good stereo center speaker and replace my bl7.2, bulky and heavy.

you'd need two of those - if I understood it right.

Exchanging one (bulky) 7.2 with two (bulky) Phantoms makes no sense.

And how would you connect (and configure) them with your BV?

N.B. I supposed that your 7.2 is the speaker for your tv!

MM

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 12:45 PM

Dave Farr:

The OP is French/or lives in France at least and the company producing this product is French. The OP has also created another post highlighting this same product today and previously asked for Geoff Martin's thoughts on an amplifier/sound system produced by the same company:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/12415.aspx

They do make grand claims (without much to back it up) and are horrendously expensive.

The OP is an active member and involved in a whole variety of discussions on B&O related issues. If he is a fan of this company who make extravagant claims, why not bring it to our attention so we can see the 'competition' and allow Geoff to de-bunk them? It's no more 'off-topic' than threads about watches or cars which are very popular here on Beoworld, or what food we are eating on a particular day. I don't see it as advertising, merely someone who is proud of a development from his own country. I'm not French by the way.

Members on here frequently post about alternative sound systems, speakers, TV's etc. I think it's a good thing to view alternative thinking/designs and hope we are open enough to do this as a forum.

Dave.

Thanks Dave

You understand me Yes - thumbs up

I like Bang & Olufsen, but it is important to open eyes and see that another european company is very innovative and work actively for the Sound Quality.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

tournedos:

a non-clickable link to an external site is not the way to bring them to our attention.

Please do tell me how to make a clickable link on this forum writing on an iPad/Safari.

I can do that on other forums, I frequently use - but not on Beoworld!

I am willing to learn - for some people copying/pasting an URL seems to hard a job to do.

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 12:50 PM
Millemissen:

you'd need two of those - if I understood it right.

Exchanging one (bulky) 7.2 with two (bulky) Phantoms makes no sense.

And how would you connect (and configure) them with your BV?

N.B. I supposed that your 7.2 is the speaker for your tv!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Hi mm

Yes a pair of course.

Did you see them in reality ? If no, hard to say if they are bulky or not

It seems there is a digital input on it but from a bv it is not usefull, there is no easy solution but nothing is impossible.

There is a store selling them at less than 30 km, I will see.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 12:52 PM
Millemissen:

For those interested ....

I noticed that he mentioned the app (Sparks), that Devialet created for the system.

The approach that they are taking there, seems interesting - and surely something that B&O should watch out for.

MM

Right MM

Software is the weak point for B&O.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 1:17 PM

Millemissen:

Please do tell me how to make a clickable link on this forum writing on an iPad/Safari.

I can do that on other forums, I frequently use - but not on Beoworld!

I am willing to learn - for some people copying/pasting an URL seems to hard a job to do.

I have no idea - I prefer using a computer for writing posts.

I agree it is unnecessarily difficult, and I would also be very happy if the forum software autolinkified obvious links. Alas, it does not, and there's precious little anybody can do about it as the plaform is closed source.

What I can do is write a GreaseMonkey script for Firefox that will linkify non-links. That's not fixing the actual problem, but it would stop me from complaining, which would be some kind of an improvement Big Smile

--mika

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sending a URL to my (own) mail formats the link.

Afterwards I can copy that link into the Beoworld message.

As an example:

http://www.polyvection.com/polyhat.html

Maybe I should do that, if I want to post 'very important' URLs Big Smile

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

BeoBoy68:

Right MM

Software is the weak point for B&O.

This is not about software or writing software.

This is about the approach to what software should do.

MM

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Jan 3 2015 6:14 PM

Apparently, one is "enough" for stereo or what they call spatial sound. In fact, it's a "complete" system, more like a reduced BS Essence + speakers than only a single speaker : it can connect directly to the network.

But if you have two or more of them, there is a kind of communication between them.

I just saw it in the parisian shop, and it's not that big (the size is approximately a volleyball + a football balls). The shop was closed, but I will go back to listen to it another day...

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Jan 3 2015 6:14 PM

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Sat, Jan 3 2015 10:11 PM
We are waiting for your listening Yes - thumbs up
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Deleted.

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Sat, Jan 3 2015 10:56 PM
Millemissen:

What is a 'one'

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

He means "one speaker"

You seem really tired actually MM Whistle

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You are a quick one, you.

I thought i had deleted my irrational post rather swift - but not swift enogh Embarrassed

Yes - I am tired. Have done too much BV-installing today - ought to get some sleep.

MM

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Tue, Jan 13 2015 9:49 AM
The beautiful digital remote control from the PHANTOM by Devialet.

Bang & Olufsen should be inspired for his BS Essence. Yes - thumbs up

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jan 13 2015 11:20 AM

The Phantom system (or whatever it is) looks like a nespresso machine or something. I would not be surprised if someone would try to put a coffee capsule in it. And the only thing I can say about the design is: no thanks, not my style :).

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
Technical Information Smile

https://vimeo.com/93141227?from=facebook

Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
Posts 333
Bronze Member

Michael:

The Phantom system (or whatever it is) looks like a nespresso machine or something. I would not be surprised if someone would try to put a coffee capsule in it. And the only thing I can say about the design is: no thanks, not my style :).

Second that, Devialet is far from the class of Bang & Olufsen (not considering Beoplay) IMHO. Even Beoplay looks much more sober. I have not seen the Phantom in the flesh but the other Devialet products I saw at Harrods did not make me impressed.

It's of course a matter of personal taste. 

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Mar 3 2015 11:40 AM

The video makes me think of the emperors new clothes. It´s easy to make people believe things with animations and strangely described procedures. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Mar 3 2015 6:55 PM

I've moved this thread to the People and Lifestyle forum section.
Please keep the General forum section on B&O topic.

Martin

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Sat, Jul 18 2015 12:21 PM

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Jul 23 2015 9:12 PM
It is decided.

I want to acquire Phantom Devialet.

If you are interested in the B & O equipment contact me via private email. Thank You Smile
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Bye, bye - BeoBoy68.

MM

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Thu, Jul 23 2015 10:19 PM
Millemissen:

Bye, bye - BeoBoy68.

Bye Bye Smile

Devialet, in Dark Grey Edition Yes - thumbs up
Playdrv4me
Top 200 Contributor
USA
Posts 477
Bronze Member

So once and for all, how do the damn things sound! 

It apparently is starting to trickle out, here's a very basic review and an ACTUAL unit in person... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GVnfEDcjvg

Ideally you do need two of these, as well as the communications hub that goes between them. It's also curious that the 750w version is 1990.00 US, but for another 500.00 you get 3000w... Obviously class d amps. 

However, if these things truly sound as good as they have the potential to, they could be preferable to a lot of the lower end B&O speaker pairs. You would almost think based on all their outlandish claims that these might even give hearty competition to something like the Beolab 18. FWIW, these units are designed AND manufactured in France by Devialet, a contrast to B&O who is continually churning out production to the nether regions. I think even the newest Lab 5 have "Manufactured in: Czech" stickers on them now. 

Sure would be nice to actually hear a first hand account and not just posts with pretty pictures!

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
Playdrv4me:

Sure would be nice to actually hear a first hand account and not just posts with pretty pictures!

Go to a Devialet Dealer or read opinions on Devialet forums. Yes - thumbs up
benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Aug 9 2015 3:44 PM

I had the chance to listen to one in an high end hifi shop. I have to say that the sound is amazing (and even more according to the compact size), very crisp, strong bass but not boomy at all, whatever the listening volume. It's not exactly stereo but more spacial sound with some left right separation. There is no sound comparaison possible with the Beoplay A9; Deviate is much better. BUT I prefer from far the A9 design. According to my taste Devialet looks a bit strange (perfect in a Daft Punk video clip...) and the thick colored main cable limits a bit the placement (in order to hide it), it has no bluetooth (I agree that bluetooth is maybe pointless for this kind of high end device but I like it), and you need a huge room to enjoy the performances. A smaller A9 with Devialet's performances would be for me the Holly Graal...

I just keep myself asking me what really justifies the huge price level asked for these 'fashionable or high end electronic' devices...

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sun, Aug 9 2015 5:10 PM

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/review-devialet-phantom-2/

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Aug 9 2015 5:43 PM

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Page 1 of 2 (64 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS