Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Feb 25 2015 12:46 AM

kiwi4all:
One rating with 3 stars only due to dropouts, two comments on this rating, one from Beoplay. It look's like B&O really cares about this potential issue.

Yes, as I wrote in response to my communication with BeoCare it does seem that B&O care and are taking the issues seriously, and they are right to do so as I truly believe this is a product that could do so much to capture the imagination of a whole new generation of B&O customers if they can get the quality control issues resolved quickly. There seems to be a real buzz of interest around this product and that after all was the whole aim of the BeoPlay range from day one. This for me is perhaps the first BeoPlay product that genuinely stands a chance of achieving that aim.

kiwi4all:
And I am more interested into the Noise Cancelation Feature. How does it perform in trains, planes, open office space?

In common with all other noise cancelling headphones I have tried, they will attenuate but not cancel out the sounds of peoples voices / conversations etc but do a fantastic job with monotonous droning type sounds. One of the first tests I performed was with the air-con in my van - the fan has four speeds, the highest of which is very loud, but sounds quieter with ANC on than the lowest fan speed does with ANC off. The extractor fan in my bathroom is also quite loud and the sound of this just disappears completely when noise cancelling is activated. I haven't yet tried them on a train or plane but my suspicion is that they will perform really well in this environment.

kiwi4all:
Currently i am using a  Bose QC20 inEar. I love them for their Noise Cancelation capability during airtime, but they hurt my ears...can't wear them for hours.

Comfort wise, the H8s are outstanding. I have worn them throughout a 10 hour working day and were it not for the exceptionally detailed sound you could forget you were wearing them - I've had numerous moments where I've heard something new in a track that I thought I knew well - sometimes even to the point where I have skipped back to listen to a part of a track again just to check I hadn't imagined hearing some 'new' detail that I'd never noticed before.

Martin.

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Feb 25 2015 7:29 PM

Not really wanting to jump until evidence of progress with the Bluetooth issue but wondering how the noise cancelling compares with the fairly good isolation I get from my H6s? 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I think they are at least the same. Probably better. Depends of course how loud you play them. I usually have them between 70-100%, and I don´t hear too much of the outside world.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 26 2015 11:39 AM

leosgonewild:

I think they are at least the same. Probably better. Depends of course how loud you play them. I usually have them between 70-100%, and I don´t hear too much of the outside world.

Much better. I have both H6 and H8 and since H8 presses against your ears there is less noise coming in. Plus the noice cancellation feature.

The dropouts however, are getting silly. Sometimes no problem at all, at some places I can't listen to anything, there is only dropouts, and in some places only dropouts sometimes. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Sat, Feb 28 2015 5:42 PM

Any news guys? Dutch dealer has stopped sales as all of them came back. Still want one tough, propperly working that is.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
The same, but more bass/punch.

Field305
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

I picked up a pair of Beoplay H8 3 days ago. The sound quality is fantastic and I couldn't be happier...

But I have the drop-out issue worse then ever. I cannot have my phone or computer more then 3 feet from the H8 without constant dropouts. In my apartment it is "okay" but when I walk outside around town, they drop out every second or two. I have contacted my local BO store and will replace them.

Hopefully the second pair doesn't have this problem.

Temi
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Temi replied on Wed, Mar 4 2015 10:12 PM

Good luck!  

I'm waiting for my 3rd pair now.... supposedly a new batch being delivered later this week.  

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I am lying down with my macbook in my lap. The macbook and the H8´s are 40 cm aparts, and the msuic sounds like a chainsaw. Have contacted BeoCare. It was fun as long as it lasted Sad

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:57 AM

Reading through this thread it seems as the Bluetooth problems are 99% while using the headphones with Apple products. Ok, Apple will sell it as a feature - as always - but it would be nice to know if NON Apple user suffer from the same problems!? 

I can't imagine that B&O did NOT made any proper testing of bluetooth in crowded places.

I'm using a Sony MW1 headset and used a SonyEricsson MW600 before. They both had absolutely no problems in crowded places with transferring music, control, calls etc. I used it with a Blackberry, a Sony phone and a Sony Walkman. They played my B&O A8 headphones just nice for years.

And believe me: Traveling in a chinese train IS a crowded place. ;-)

dizza2
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
dizza2 replied on Fri, Mar 6 2015 10:23 AM

Hi All, 

I am very close to purchasing these headphones, the only thing holding me back are the BT issues everyone seems to be having.  Have B&O confirmed its an issue with a batch? I've had a look on other forums and its no clear. 

To All - Should I wait until B&O fix the BT issue before I purchase?

BTW- I have an iPhone 6 which I will be using for the headphones everyday on the train to work. 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Mar 6 2015 11:57 AM
TWG:

Reading through this thread it seems as the Bluetooth problems are 99% while using the headphones with Apple products. Ok, Apple will sell it as a feature - as always - but it would be nice to know if NON Apple user suffer from the same problems!? I can't imagine that B&O did NOT made any proper testing of bluetooth in crowded places. I'm using a Sony MW1 headset and used a SonyEricsson MW600 before. They both had absolutely no problems in crowded places with transferring music, control, calls etc. I used it with a Blackberry, a Sony phone and a Sony Walkman. They played my B&O A8 headphones just nice for years.

And believe me: Traveling in a chinese train IS a crowded place. ;-)

Apple sells what as a feature?

I'm using an iPhone and it works perfect with other bluetooth headphones. It's just the H8. Someone else also experienced drop outs with an HTC phone. The problem is clearly not in the phone. The drop outs occur mainly for me in certain areas and environments. Not always.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

asnyc75
Not Ranked
NYC
Posts 5
Bronze Member
asnyc75 replied on Fri, Mar 6 2015 2:37 PM

The problem is not apple and you should not be blaming apple for this. I have been using only my Astell & Kern and my Samsung and I have many BT dropouts. I am on my third pair of H8 and the problem is the same. 

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 9:23 PM

This truly sounds like a B&O issue.  I received my pair of H8s early last month.  From day 1 I experienced sound drop out while playing music through MacBook running OS X (10.10.2).  Discovered that this MB was not equipped with BT 4.0. After much searching and troubleshooting (and much correspondence with BeoCare), I decided to change the Airport/BT card in the MB to make it compliant with BT 4.0.  The upgrade went well; other features miraculously appeared because of it.  No luck with the dropouts, however.  I now have a MB compliant with BT 4.0 and the sound drops out like it did before the upgrade.  The headphones DO work well with the iPhone 5 (iOS 8) while indoors, but I admit I haven't tried them outdoors or in a crowded area like a subway train.  

Clearly there is a problem with the H8 hardware being incompatible with some Apple products.  And perhaps a firmware (if it ever has any) update will be necessary.  To date no one has offered to replace my headphones. 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I am also experiencing problems with my MacBook. They receive the signal, but if I touch the headphones, the sound gets choppy.

Beocare says they can't guarantee that they work with computers, because they are BT4.0.

If you sell a Bluetooth product that does only work with the latest version, you should mark them with it.

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 9:54 PM

Leo, it's not your MacBook.  I upgraded to 4.0 and it STILL happens.  It is them.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Duspin:

Leo, it's not your MacBook. I upgraded to 4.0 and it STILL happens. It is them.

How about trying it for a test with an iPad Air 2. They have BT 4.0.

I thought that BT was always backwards compatible.
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Bluetoot is backwards-compatible. So it is a load of BS to say that it doesn`t work because of that.

It is sending a sound signal, simple as that.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

They are being sold as a bluetooth headphone. Not a bluetooth headphone for mobile-phones..

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Sat, Mar 7 2015 10:25 PM

That was my point to the B&O shop.  Since they're independently owned and answer to no one but their owner, they were having none of me.

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Sun, Mar 15 2015 8:17 PM

I tried the headset today in store, no noticable as it was connected trough cable. Ha. 

Does anyone has any success or news on a working H8? 

Temi
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Temi replied on Sun, Mar 15 2015 8:44 PM

My store had a new lot came in... So I got my 3rd pair.  This new lot is much better... But there were still drops.  I was told that they are aware of the issue and are trying to resolve it. 

you probably won't notice using this at the store or at home (through Bluetooth). But more likely if you commute and enter into a high traffic area with possibly with lots of other wireless frequencies in the air.

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Sun, Mar 15 2015 8:52 PM

It's not good news, sadly.  

I explained to BeoCare that I installed an appropriate Airport/Bluetooth card in my MBP 15" early 2011 to make it BT 4.0, and that this made absolutely no difference in wireless performance.  A Bluetooth expert on his site explained that I shouldn't have had to do this, but since I did and there was no difference it definitely wasn't the laptop.  

Now then, despite my explaining that I found out about numerous incidents where people who recently acquired H8s were experiencing sound drops from wireless use in various equipment (either/or iOS 8 or OS X platform products), here is the response from Christian at BeoCare:  

"I received feedback from Denmark, In principle a Bluetooth 4.0 enabled product with A2DP Bluetooth profile should be able to send music to the BeoPlay H8. Practical tests have shown a very differentiated market picture. Most newer computers with updated software and adequate hardware should be able to connect to BeoPlay H8, but we are not able to recommend or support this setup.

"Kind regards,
Christian Egede Terp (Mr) | Customer Service US"
So there you have it, hyperbole double talk. "[V]ery differentiated market picture" indeed.
Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Sun, Mar 15 2015 9:01 PM

Please let us know what happens when you fully test out your new pair.  As you can see from my post earlier today, BeoCare says they do not support Bluetooth connectivity with computers.  

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Mar 15 2015 10:41 PM
just on the bluetooth defence I have run pretty much non stop a pair of Parrot Zik bluetooth headphones for over 2 years, I have the commute of hell daily in and out of London on over crowded trains and buses where everyone seems to be using electrical devices and can list the number of drop outs over this time on one hand.

Bluetooth is a stable environment for streaming...

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Sun, Mar 15 2015 11:16 PM

Mark, I don't think anyone would dispute that Bluetooth can be a stable environment for streaming.  Rather, there appears to be manufacturers who take shortcuts that result in less-than-optimal performing products.  Such is the case with B&O, I suspect.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
leosgonewild:

They are being sold as a bluetooth headphone. Not a bluetooth headphone for mobile-phones..

What a load of bull shizzle. Not from you... So what's the point of them then ? Just a product that people will be disappointed in ? Grrrr

I was thinking of getting a pair because my beats are too firm on my head.

The picture advertisement shows the guy and he has a mobile phone on the table

An iPod is a iPhone without the phone so would that not even work
Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Mon, Mar 16 2015 12:36 AM

I completely agree.  They just didn't think this one through, OR, they said screw it and they get what they get.  Yes they are very comfortable.  I will be asking for another pair once I get a sense they've made new ones.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael:

What a load of bull shizzle. Not from you... So what's the point of them then ? Just a product that people will be disappointed in ? Grrrr

I was thinking of getting a pair because my beats are too firm on my head.

The picture advertisement shows the guy and he has a mobile phone on the table

An iPod is a iPhone without the phone so would that not even work

I think you misunderstood my post. What I meant is that they are sold as a Bluetooth headphone, and then they should work with all Bluetooth devices. If they were sold as Bluetooth headphones for mobile devices, then they could hide behind the "not compatible with notebooks".

Vintage_B&O
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 303
Bronze Member

I have the same problem. Just receive the H8 directly from Beoplay.com. You can't play one song without a audio Drop-Out. 

I will sent them back to Beoplay...

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Mar 16 2015 8:22 PM
The dropout problem with H8 is a real desaster and a shame for B&O! And they still sell all these faulty headphones although I'm sure they are aware of this unacceptable fault.
BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Tue, Mar 17 2015 12:19 AM
@ Raeuber

Agree

I don't understand the Bang & Olufsen's management today.

With some BeoPlay faulty products, they destroy completely the brand quality.

It seems there is no control quality product in China. No - thumbs down
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

After perfoming the "bluetooth test" that Beocare asked me to do (leave the phone on a table and walk backwards facing the phone to see if I got dropouts before 10 meters), Beocare has asked me to return the headphones to the dealer in order to get a replacement.

I asked if there is a paricular production batch that has these problems, or if it is a serial number range I should stay away from, but the answer was that they don´t expect me to have these problems with my replacement. They did suggest that I try them in the store to make sure I don´t get faulty ones.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Mar 17 2015 2:57 PM

leosgonewild:

After perfoming the "bluetooth test" that Beocare asked me to do (leave the phone on a table and walk backwards facing the phone to see if I got dropouts before 10 meters), Beocare has asked me to return the headphones to the dealer in order to get a replacement.

I asked if there is a paricular production batch that has these problems, or if it is a serial number range I should stay away from, but the answer was that they don´t expect me to have these problems with my replacement. They did suggest that I try them in the store to make sure I don´t get faulty ones.

I hope your replacement set works well off the bat.

I'm curious, since it does appear to be a batch problem, which has been corrected with newer lots, are dealers being asked to replace their inventory? If people order these from a dealer, are they ordering from the factory rather than giving out stock that has been sitting on the shelf which obviously would have the issues.

B&O asking customers to try them in the store to ensure that they're not getting faulty ones is just an audacious suggestion. Customers shouldn't have to attempt any trial runs for a consumer item at a B&O store of all places. Trials to see if the item works for them is okay, but a trial to ensure it works? Come on!?!?

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Mar 17 2015 3:08 PM

This is horrible news. Everything that B&O seem to be producing these days isn't working properly. Beloit 12, Avant, H8, Moment, Encore etc. How can this be from a company that charges such high prices for their stuff? These guys seriously need to get their act together! It's a true disgrace! Pure negligence.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

How about we start our own research-tread? Write the serial number of your H8, and if it has dropouts or not. That way we could see if it is related to a special batch or serial range.

Duspin
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Duspin replied on Tue, Mar 17 2015 3:48 PM

leosgonewild:

How about we start our own research-tread? Write the serial number of your H8, and if it has dropouts or not. That way we could see if it is related to a special batch or serial range.

Good idea!!!

Here's mine:  24502310

How does one read this number to know about batches or serial ranges?

Joheloo
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Joheloo replied on Fri, Mar 20 2015 3:44 PM

I had my H8 for some weeks now, and this is my experience:

Testing from inside my appartment:
I can listen to music with 9-10 m "free" distance from my phone (Iphone 6) without any dropouts with doors wide open. But if there is a wall between, i will get few dropouts sometimes if distance is 8-10 m.
(if stay within 5 m, signal passes through one massive 10 cm wall without dropouts)

Even if I put the phone under my sofa mattress (15 cm thick), there is no dropouts as long as I stay within the 5 m (safe zone) incl. a 10 cm massive stone wall in between.

I used the H8 on a short flight 2 times the past week. Each way listen around 1 hour straight without any dropouts. I even left my phone in flight seat and went to the lavatory wearing my H8 without any dropouts. Ok seat was 1st row (Ryan air flight though) and toilet just 2 m in front of seat, but still satisfying.

I have noticed, that when my Iphone is inside bluetooth settings (searching for bluetooth connetions) the H8 goes all crazy with dropouts, but leaving the settings all is fine again.

It is possible to cover my iphone with my body in some "unnormal ways" to force dropouts.
But this is just to test performance. Normally I wear my iphone in my front jeans pockets and it works perfect (both right and left pocket Wink)

When using the H8 I always keep my phone near me therefore the dropout symptoms is not something I experience in daily use.

Other comments:
The iphone quickly finds the H8 and connects to it. The materials and craftmanship of H8 is so nice.
The touch functions works very well (the volume control is however not so smoothly as the other touch functions.  The active noise cancellation (ANC) was very good onboard airplane leaving most of noise out (much better than my old Sony in-ear with ANC). But if I use my H8 at home, I will use without ANC, as it gives a much better sound.

The only negative I have to say about H8 is that after 30-60 min use, my ears gets very warm (i want to take the H8 off and rub my ears).
At first when you try them, they feel very soft and comfortable, but after a while I feel a light pressure on my head and get the warm ears. Not terrible, but still something I notice and dislike.

I have before only used in-ear headphones and I am maybe not (yet) used to on-ear headphones.
But I recommend try them for minimum 30 minuttes in the B&O store.

My S/N is: 24501060 (purchased in Denmark).

/Johnny

Paff1984
Not Ranked
Finland
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Paff1984 replied on Sat, Mar 21 2015 12:24 AM

I am now waiting for a replacement unit due to audio feedback from the ANC microphones but I haven't had that much problems with dropouts. But one thing I did experience was that when my phone (Lumia 920) got an update which included apt-x support some dropouts started to occur (at least when holding the phone in my hand). I did not experience any dropout when using the H8s with my Ipad.

S/N: 24500919

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Tue, Mar 31 2015 10:11 AM

Any news from affected owners?

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

Page 5 of 17 (663 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS