Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay H8

rated by 0 users
This post has 662 Replies | 19 Followers

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Wed, Mar 2 2016 11:21 PM

I upgraded mine to the latest software. I got one of the first delivered in the US, I had no issues with drop outs but have to say that I use mine mostly on the plane, so common drop out issues arising from my body/arms interfering with the blue tooth wouldn't happen there

The auto connect doesn't work like with other headphones or even the A2, one needs to pull the switch on the headphone towards the blue tooth sign until it beeps once - then it will search for devices and connect again. I do not need to go into the iphone settings for this.

This might be some sort of battery saving thing, since some people may use the headphone stand alone just to cancel noise out.

I am actually fairly happy with mine, especially now that I have the little battery symbol on my iphone and know when to recharge

Cheers

JK

mr_score
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
mr_score replied on Thu, Mar 17 2016 3:16 PM

Yes and yes again... (S/N 25XXXXX) They even got caught in a never ending loop with increasing volume on the windy subway platform when moving one ear piece! That hurt! Had to turn them off for 5-10s to get rid of it. And they squeak as soon as I touch/adjust the earpieces, change the volume... Sad

Sending them to Denmark for a check. Hope they find a solution because I really like them. Back to my B&W P5 for a while now I guess...

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Mar 21 2016 9:12 PM

A quick note for anyone hoping to get their H8s exchanged at a dealership in the UK. As of March 15th dealerships are no longer allowed to offer this service -the customer must arrange a courier pick-up and Beoplay will send a replacement. I was told not to worry as, 'it shouldn't take very long'.....

mhunt407
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
mhunt407 replied on Fri, Mar 25 2016 6:14 PM

Just wanted to add my two cents in here - got my grey hazel H8's from Amazon UK a few days ago and I was a little anxious after reading all of these comments but mine fall into the newer serial number group and I have no issues at all with dropouts or screeching, very happy!

Daniel
Top 75 Contributor
Svinarp, Sweden
Posts 1,632
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Sat, Mar 26 2016 1:40 PM

Hi there!

I have a pair H8 from last year. No problem with dropouts, so need there for an update of software. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" is a clever rule. But it would have been nice with battery status on the iPhone. Had som problems when I updated software in A2.

Any problems with updating H8? Should I do it?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Mar 26 2016 8:01 PM

Daniel:

Hi there!

I have a pair H8 from last year. No problem with dropouts, so need there for an update of software. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" is a clever rule. But it would have been nice with battery status on the iPhone. Had som problems when I updated software in A2.

Any problems with updating H8? Should I do it?

I'm in the same boat.  Haven't had drop-out issues and am quite happy with them as is so why risk fate?  Curiosity killed the cat...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Brand recognition: standing st traffic lights and a pedestrian looks at my bag and says: "Bang and Olufsen H8s" ... given how they are packed in the bag I said "Well spotted!""

BeoNut since '75

frean754
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
frean754 replied on Wed, Apr 6 2016 10:09 AM

I have Beoplay H8 (serialnumber 249xxx) with major Bluetooth problems, i cant even have my iphone in my jacket pocket without dropouts. I made an RMA and was told to send to them for repair/replacement.

It was to a german firm which handlded RMA - today i received that they found no problems with them after examining them for 15 minutes (horrible!!) and have returned them to me. I contacted Kasper at beoplay and he said he could do nothing because its up to the repair shop to decide

I dont know what to do, the H8 are usless with the dropouts, and no response from Beoplay. I cant understand how they can examine them for 15 minutes and then decide. When Beoplay confirmed they have Bluetooth rework on the new 252xxx serials

Lycanthrope
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

frean754:

I dont know what to do, the H8 are usless with the dropouts, and no response from Beoplay. I cant understand how they can examine them for 15 minutes and then decide. When Beoplay confirmed they have Bluetooth rework on the new 252xxx serials

You could buy a new set from Amazon, then return the old ones within 30 days... You can argue whether this is morally correct or not, but sounds like you've been treated badly by B&O in this case.

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Sat, Apr 9 2016 5:55 PM

So, I mailed B&O this morning explaining the BT reception problem, mentioning it has already been acknowledged by them. My hazel Gray H8 pair is unfortunately in the "old" part of serials and they have been purchase a week ago. The pitch is to have them replaced as well as the audio cable for the one touch cable. We'll see how this goes. Either way I'm very grateful for all the info that has been shared in this thread.

i like the sound signature, ANC works great on my daily commutes to job. Trying to make slightly softer steps and it help with on-the-go listening. They do the job much different then my Bose QC25, I personally like the dynamics and punchiness. Have both H7 for home listening mainly and H6 that stay at the office so I am getting the full B&O headphone daily sound spectrum. :)

As well as others, I'll post here B&O customer service reply here - hope to be of assistance to some other H8 owners!

Cheers!

mr_score
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
mr_score replied on Mon, Apr 11 2016 10:38 AM

UPDATE: 

Got a brand new pair delivered from B&O, although it took 5 days (!) for UPS to deliver them... In Sweden/Stockholm UPS really sucks! Morons working there, or rather huge management problem not doing anything to rectify their poor work. Entertaining to read their google reviews: 1,2 average score out of 5... Whistle

Anyway, guess I got a H8 lemon first time around.  The new pair seem to work much better and I don't get high pitched squeaks anymore when handling/touching them. Not all that impressed with the ANC though, but better than nothing.

Maybe I had to high expectations after I tried a military grade NC once at a previous work place some 10 years ago. That was true NC! Didn't hear anything around me! And it was so cool when they activated position hearing on the signal and put on a Miles Davis tune that travelled 360' around me from below to over my head! Surprise   That processing power should be pretty cheap nowadays and possible for consumer market, but maybe not?

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Fri, Apr 15 2016 1:50 PM

RMA BeoPlay H8 - Update:

BeoCare replied to my email after four days in a very professional manner, even appologizing for a delay in answer. They aknowledge the problem with BT-reception, although in a very mild manner :)  :

"It is correct that the BeoPlay H8 has received a slight hardware improvement, which seems to have improved the Bluetooth in the headphones."

They did offer me to send my H8 for a diagnostics so UPS collected them in Stockholm the day after. They are now on their way to the B&O diagnostics centre in Germany and will be either replaced or returned. That remains to be seen.

Hope I'll get a pair of new one's with the hardware improved reception - my H8s audio does drop out a lot when they are in trousers or in any pocket virtually.

About the cable - BeoCare did not give a reasonable explanation of including just audio cable (with no mic & control) in the box. Audio cable from my H7 works perfectly with H8 for example. They did not however forget to remind me that I can puchase such cable from B&O, which I find slightly offensive. Marketing a product of this level with such a price should include flawless cable replacement without feeling of being drained for a few extra bucks. Too cheap for such a Brand if you ask me.

So, now it's a waiting game - I already miss my H8  :)

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 9:26 AM

Update: 

I just received the message from B&O acknowledging the BT-failure with my pair of H8 and they did send me a refurbished pair of H8 ... with EVEN OLDER S/N than one I had sent under RMA!

No way these can have firmware upgrade so - bad news for now.

Such a waste of time... really an amateur level so far.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 11:32 AM
Mirzoni:

Update:

I just received the message from B&O acknowledging the BT-failure with my pair of H8 and they did send me a refurbished pair of H8 ... with EVEN OLDER S/N than one I had sent under RMA!

No way these can have firmware upgrade so - bad news for now.

Such a waste of time... really an amateur level so far.

If they are refurbished, how do you know they didn't change the electronics to the new revision? Unsure

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 11:51 AM

True - I don't know that for fact. and I personally find it highly unlikely. I guess someone from B&O should have at least notified me.

..and it doesn't feel right knowing my 252xxxxx being replaced with 247xxxxx. They are older (used?) and refurbished. Not new or one-week old as those I sent them - that is the fact. 

Beoplay customer service from DK advised me to specifically address the hardware improved S/N issue to return-support in B&O Germany who are handling the RMA. It is just getting messy. I feel like I have been doing their job due to lack of any coordination between B&O different departments.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:02 PM
Mirzoni:

True - I don't know that for fact. and I personally find it highly unlikely. I guess someone from B&O should have at least notified me.

..and it doesn't feel right knowing my 252xxxxx being replaced with 247xxxxx. They are older (used?) and refurbished. Not new or one-week old as those I sent them - that is the fact.

Beoplay customer service from DK advised me to specifically address the hardware improved S/N issue to return-support in B&O Germany who are handling the RMA. It is just getting messy. I feel like I have been doing their job due to lack of any coordination between B&O different departments.

I agree. You should tell them about it. I find it odd to replace new stuff with refurbs. Especially headphones due to hygiene etc.

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:29 PM

@Mikael, I presume you handled your RMA also via B&O in Germany? Any tips? :)

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:45 PM
Mirzoni:

No, I live in Sweden (but I'm actually half German!). My retailer swapped them out for a new pair, no questions asked.

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 1:08 PM

Hi Michael,

Sorry for misspelling your name - thanx for the info. 

It felt safer to report it to B&O then try my luck explaining my concerns to MediaMarkt personnel. I hope it works out anyway...

Regards from Sweden!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Apr 19 2016 1:56 PM
Mirzoni:

Hi Michael,

Sorry for misspelling your name - thanx for the info.

It felt safer to report it to B&O then try my luck explaining my concerns to MediaMarkt personnel. I hope it works out anyway...

Regards from Sweden!

Ah no worries :). I hope everything will work out to the best. I'm also in Schweden Smile

Mathias_MM
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Michael:
Mirzoni:

I agree. You should tell them about it. I find it odd to replace new stuff with refurbs. Especially headphones due to hygiene etc.

To be fair, that is actually pretty common in the industry. I'd be surprised if it's not actually an all new outside including earcups, as well as a new battery. It may even be an upside, seeing as refurbished parts are always tested for quality, whereas production parts are usually picked out randomly off the line. 

In any case, fingers crossed that the "new" headphones do not have issues, I'm sure you'll be happy with them in the long run if that's the case :)

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Wed, Apr 20 2016 8:49 AM

As long as there are no dropouts in bluetooth reception - I'm happy.

Although I am a bit suspicious after I have read so many cases when H8 have been replaced with equally flawed H8. Fingers crossed, should have them delivered tomorrow.

Good thing is I have lowered my expectations :/

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 8:28 PM

The replacement H8 came by UPS today. It's a pre owned factory refurbished pair.

Reception dropouts still present, one hinge is loose - this is audible with every step as a small crack, and the cardboard box is a disappointment. You buy B&O products for several reasons and I just can't see any of those in this replacement. These are going back. :/

I'll try to post some pictures. Wonder if any one else got such a replacement?

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Thu, Apr 21 2016 11:58 PM

Pre-owned:

Loose henge:

All in all:

Loutza
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Loutza replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 9:23 PM

New firmware update. version 9.0.7. Enable support for Beoplay app.

Thibault
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
Thibault replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 9:25 PM

What? Mizroni, this is absolutely insane and unacceptable. I sent my H8 in earlier this week – I was also experiencing bluetooth dropouts and high pitched noises in the right ear. I will let you know how it goes for me. What the hell is B&O thinking?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 2:31 AM
Loutza:

New firmware update. version 9.0.7. Enable support for Beoplay app.

Yes, I did the upgrade - provides a simple "tone" equaliser controls.

BeoNut since '75

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 10:49 AM
Mirzoni:

The replacement H8 came by UPS today. It's a pre owned factory refurbished pair.

Reception dropouts still present, one hinge is loose - this is audible with every step as a small crack, and the cardboard box is a disappointment. You buy B&O products for several reasons and I just can't see any of those in this replacement. These are going back. :/

I'll try to post some pictures. Wonder if any one else got such a replacement?

This would make me very unhappy.
Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Sat, Apr 23 2016 5:21 PM

I have sent numerous emails to B&O customer service, B&O return service, even exchanged a number of messages with B&O Facebook-based customer service - and no clear answer from B&O apart from Kasper at B&O cust-support apologizing for not getting the hardware upgraded headphones. Feels like they have been sending the hot potato around. 

Anyhow, I understand that this RMA has been elevated so I should expect "one of the big guys" contacting me next week.

I took these H8 to work yesterday and can confirm the dropout issue as well as the clicking sound on the left side hinge contact - even when chewing the gum. (?) Not what I expected really.

So yes - I am generally unhappy the replacement. Did not get the one with a "newer" s/n, got a poorly packaged, pre-used and refurbished h8 with the same and even some new symptoms. On the bright side at least one person at B&O has been trying to help - and that is encouraging.

Even the everywhere- advertised contact number does not work. Not an easy thing trying to communicate with B&O. 

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 1:25 PM

Michael:
Mirzoni:

No, I live in Sweden (but I'm actually half German!). My retailer swapped them out for a new pair, no questions asked.

In the UK the dealers have been told that they cannot exchange B&O Play products (not sure if what happens if they were bought from the dealer) - they all have to go to b&O Play.

My faulty H8s have arrived in Germany for inspection but after Mirzoni's experience I cannot say I am hopeful. I sent mine in the original packaging and would be very unhappy to have a pair returned in the packaging shown above.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 1:37 PM

Mark:

In the UK the dealers have been told that they cannot exchange B&O Play products (not sure if what happens if they were bought from the dealer) - they all have to go to b&O Play.

My faulty H8s have arrived in Germany for inspection but after Mirzoni's experience I cannot say I am hopeful. I sent mine in the original packaging and would be very unhappy to have a pair returned in the packaging shown above.

Doesnt sound good. The ANC feature have changed since my first pair of H8. I got them exchanged for a pair of new black ones that doesnt drop out - but it feels like the ANC is very different. When activated, the sound gets very 'thin' and sharp. I also feel a strange pressure that is very awkward compared to the older ones. The surrounding noise is removed but everything sounds very weird. I thought perhaps it was an issue with my pair, but perhaps they changed how ANC works in the MK2 editions. I usually disable it now since it sounds bad almost everywhere. Doesn't sound fun to perhaps have them exchanged for a pair of used ones. IF it is an issue with my H8´s.

I "H8" these problems :D

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
When you say strange pressure, do you mean that they are tight on your ears?

The first pair of H8 I had was very comfortable, but second and third felt uncomfortable and tight on the ears. Close to painful Surprise

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 2:51 PM

leosgonewild:
When you say strange pressure, do you mean that they are tight on your ears?

The first pair of H8 I had was very comfortable, but second and third felt uncomfortable and tight on the ears. Close to painful Surprise

No, when ANC is on, they start to filter the sound very hard (I guess) and this causes a big pressure on my ears, like when you take off with an airplane or dive. Yesterday I went through a tunnel with a train (as I usually do) and the H8´s put an extra, quite tremendous, pressure on my ears, compared to what I'm used to.

My H8s is not to tight physically, I think I've stretched them a bit (I usually do with all my headphones). 

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 3:27 PM

That's truly horrific service. You should be refunded all of your money or given a brand new pair with a follow up phone call. Being offered second hand referred is an insult. These are £400 headphones not £15 ones. £400 is A LOT of money.

Come on B&O you can treat your loyal customers far better than this.

What are dealers options on the H8 and the problems or are you dealers frightened to comment on the dire situation?

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 4:05 PM

A reply from B&o cust.service on Facebook has confirmed that B&o has no influence whatsoever on what choice the third party (service partner = Arvato AG) makes when it comes to replacement:

"I am sorry to hear that you have not heard back on the e-mails you have sent to return-support@beoplay.com. As my colleague Kasper has previously informed you, we do not have any influence on the decisions made by the service partner. If you have received a defective replacement product, I kindly suggest creating a new RMA.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing. Kind regards, Ina - Customer Service"

Return-support appear to act on their own and keep referring to B&o cust.support - which refers to Return-support ?!?

I don't really know if I should proceed with RMA or just try to swap them at the B&o dealer locally. Anyway, a refurb-pre.owned is not a keeper option.

Anyone who successfully dealt with such situation?

:/

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 4:12 PM

I don't understand why a high end / premium company would have a third party company for faulty products etc. Why is this? 

A refund is the best way and stay well away from the H8. Is the H7 is more reliable option?

danielh
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
danielh replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 5:05 PM

I created a ticket on beoplay.com

My H8`s was picked up at home and shipped to Denmark. 

Got  a brand new pair a few weeks later. Looks like it`s much better but haven't used them so much yet 

Mirzoni
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 39
Bronze Member
Mirzoni replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 5:18 PM

@ Daniel:

May I ask what country you live in? Did you communicate with return.support@beoplay.com re: your RMA? What did you state as a reason for replacement? Thank you.

Best,

Mirzoni

Mark
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 5:41 PM

Paul W:

I don't understand why a high end / premium company would have a third party company for faulty products etc. Why is this? 

A refund is the best way and stay well away from the H8. Is the H7 is more reliable option?

The reason is to save money. B&O have outsourced all of their repair work in the UK (warranty and out of warranty). B&O no longer have responsibility for overheads and employing staff etc. The quality of the work has suffered (based on my own experience and other accounts) but presumably B&O have saved cash.

I find it incredible that B&O Play can try and avoid any responsibilty for the warranty for products that customers have bought from them and tell us to deal with a third party instead.

I agree that it it is difficult to undrstand how a high end company would be have like this.  Perhaps the final act of a previously high end company struggling to find a way to survive?

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Apr 25 2016 6:09 PM

Thank you Mark for the explanation. That's very upsetting. These headphones are under one year old, surely under E.U. Law, it is illegal to give refurbished products to a customer when they have bought new. If someone has bought brand new, they expect to be given like for like. Refurbished is second hand hence why Apple sell Refurb products at 25% off. 

I think it's time that B&O or a dealer representative can make a statement about the H8 and it's continuing problems. Quite frankly, this product is doing the brand a lot of damage and it's costing them money through it's faults. I needs to be removed from the B&O portfolio at once. It's wrong and truly dishonest to sell something that doesn't deliver.

Page 14 of 17 (663 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS