Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BG 3000 Mexico, from Rich

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member
Søren Mexico Posted: Sun, Jan 18 2015 3:24 AM

As I did a small service on my TX2, I also dug out the BG 3000 type 5231, that Rich gave to me, he shipped that one together with a tweeter he also gave me for free. He wouldnt let me pay for shipping either.

But here goes: Took off the cover and the platter, the 3000 is different from the 1202, the innards are nearly the same, but the 3000 has a fixed cover that opens, and the platter has gray rubber stripes, where the 1202 has a "take off" cover and pegs as record supports. But the cover for the 3000 is very easy to get off, just loosen the 2 screws to the back holding the bottom cover, then it slides out complete to the back of the unit.

Took out the screws for the bottom cover and the wood frame also came off. And the unit is free to work on. If you buy any BG open it up before connecting it, you never know what you find inside.

Turning around the unit, out came a flat blade spring, I didnt recognize it at once, but poured myself a cuba, and there it was, from the motor on off switch ( red arrow) I put it back where it should be and adjusted the switch.

The rubber drive wheel was inserted upside down, and the guide under the wheel, I took out the drive/motor assembly and put it in like it should be, the speed adjustment arm may be bent, but I will have to correct that later when it all is assembled correctly and functioning. The pic is taken upside down.

A couple of drops of oil, and I connected the BG, the speed switch in off position, I pressed lift, and the platter started spinning, the tonearm went into the record, no cartridge attached, I cached the arm and brought it toward the middle, the arm returned to the the rest position. I then selected the on position, the platter started spinning, pressed lift, and nothing happened, pressed lift again various times, nothing. Something is wrong with the relay or a switch, will check that tomorrow

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Opened the relay, the contact pins were bend and not making contact, straitening helped, the lower of the two arms did not make sufficient contact to the plastic arm on the cam gear I adjusted the relay position with the factory sealed adjusting eccentric, I checked he cap, diode and resistors all measured OK.

Assembled I found the counter weight touched the cover when reaching the last 2 tracks on a LP, readjusted the counter weight and the tracking force scale. Now working properly with a little nearly not audible rumble from the drive, not audible in the speakers when playing. Rich if you want the the BG 3000 back, I can ship it to you from TX next time I go up there.

The top cover needs some work, and I will have to find 4 screws for the bottom cover, the bottom cover has a hole in it that has to be repaired. but sounds good with a used SP14 bought in DK

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 7:12 PM
Sure, I'd take it back in a heart beat. I have 2 SP14s sitting here doing nothing. I have BM1900 and BM4000 with P30 and S40 to try the BG3000 with.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Mon, Feb 2 2015 11:13 PM

I give this thread "three thumbs up".  Good stuff .

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Feb 3 2015 1:46 AM

Soren, this is an excellent thread. Top notch - as per usual.

I'm working on my 1202 now, and while this is not exactly a 1202 it is extremely similar so I am sure it will help.

Yes - thumbs up

Beo4 'til I die!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Been traveling, Didnt see your post until now Rich, When back in Mexico I will give the BG 3000 a running test, at least 5 LPs a day for a week, and I will check that small motor noise again. And then it goes back to you Rich. Do you want a 5 pin DIN plug on it or keep the RCA connectors.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Feb 3 2015 2:22 PM

Søren Mexico:

Do you want a 5 pin DIN plug on it or keep the RCA connectors.

I foresee using it in the living room where RCA connectors would be necessary, so leave as is.  Thanks.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I did not like the noise from the motor, so I took out the motor and took it apart, cleaned the bronze bushing and adjusted the motor 2 step pulley to correct position on the motor shaft, that did it, there are no noises now, running totally silent. I will now have to find out how and when to get it up to McAllen and ship it back to Rich

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Feb 10 2015 1:41 PM

Søren Mexico:

I will now have to find out how and when to get it up to McAllen and ship it back to Rich

You are quite the perfectionist.  Please don't make a special trip on my account.  Plenty of working tables already in play at the Haffner house.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS