Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

beovision 10 40" & 46" discontinued

rated by 0 users
This post has 120 Replies | 6 Followers

rednik
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
rednik replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 11:42 PM

Fair enough.  I think there is a difference between arguing with everything someone writes, and just disagreeing with everything someone writes.

I simply can't see the connection between a car company reviewing the design of the one model that they are really recognised by, and which has kept them afloat over a number of decades, and an AV company reviewing the design of a newish model that sells less than the bv7. Just seems l,e a stupi statement, that's all.

rednik
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
rednik replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 11:46 PM

Paul W:

If so, there's no wonder the younger generation are not interested in this brand.

Ps. I am intrigued.  How old are you, and how old do you think I am?

rednik
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Bronze Member
rednik replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 11:46 PM

Paul W:

If so, there's no wonder the younger generation are not interested in this brand.

Ps. I am intrigued.  How old are you, and how old do you think I am?

Ƨcɑɽɑɱɑnɡɑ
Top 10 Contributor
Khao Phing Kan
Posts 6,662
Bronze Member

Paul W:
Anyway lets not argue over a television because, my God, this is low when people are so bored that they talk about something as insignificant as that!

Shocking forum behavior, especially on one dedicated to A/V!

In the immortal words of Herbert Morrison: "Oh, the inanity!"

• One B&o bottle opener
  • One fancy gun
butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 4:01 PM

paul w doesnt help himself,I am in my early 30s and everyone I know has numerous tvs

.I have never been to a home were there has not been at least one tv,and thats from all age ranges from 18-80.I enjoy outdoor pursuits,but still watch tv and movies.

I have alot of younger cousins in their early 20s,who work all day and party most nights in the city,and they all have tvs in their apartments.They use their laptops for work.

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 4:24 PM

I'm also 30, and I think that everyone I know has a TV, but it is a fact that now we watch less and less TV and more and more VOD/movies/computer content. But the TV still remains the "big screen of the home" for the majority of people.

I was at the IFA, the TV manufacturers have understood that the TV is becoming the home "digital hub" and tend to create an ecosystem around the TV.

As for the comment about not having a life because we speak of TV... That's really interesting to say that on a TV topic in a AV forum...

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 8:20 PM

Steffen:
Hmm... I've just read in a danish newspaper, that the BV 12 wasn't selling as well as expected. So...Hmm

My dealer told me that if I buy the BV12 (their ex-demo unit), they wouldn't have it back as a trade-in, at a later date, so read in to that as you will. It's one reason why I didn't go for the BV12. They advised to wait for the BV11, too.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 11:12 PM

mbee:

I'm also 30, and I think that everyone I know has a TV, but it is a fact that now we watch less and less TV and more and more VOD/movies/computer content. But the TV still remains the "big screen of the home" for the majority of people.

I was at the IFA, the TV manufacturers have understood that the TV is becoming the home "digital hub" and tend to create an ecosystem around the TV.

As for the comment about not having a life because we speak of TV... That's really interesting to say that on a TV topic in a AV forum...

Who understands Paul anyway..?
He doesn't want to buy a tv - but he loves to comment on them.
He don't know anyone who owns a tv...(maybe widening his social circles would be an eye-opener..?) Whistle
He has earlier come up with some rediculous comments about that people who buys big tv's must be uneducated, etc...(he even finds large screens 'offensive'...)
He makes comments about young vs. old people...(offcourse he is one of the young 'enlightened' people...) Hmm
He's talking about some 'arrogant and harsh' people on Beoworld, while he's patronizing and rude to everyone who disagrees with him...

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:18 PM

I've always hated the 911 as for something german it's so inefficient in a practical boring way.

Then again maybe i'm a boring old fart. LOL

seheiste
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member
Tonker:

Having just bought a 10-46 and happy with it, what technical improvements could you expect or even notice over the current system using the new chassis?

Beovision 10-46, Belab 11, Beosound 8, Beocom 2 and a shed load of A8's and Form 2's. Oh and a Beo4 and 6.

I agree. Tomorrow I will order a BV10-40 to replace my BV3-32 which I bought when it was about to be discontinued. I got it for a good price, both hardware and software were of high quality. I have used this TV for over 8 years without a single problem. For the same reason I'll go for the BV10-40. It,s the most beautiful TV I've seen, fits perfectly into my link system, technically it's good enough (I don't need 3D), price is OK, and it's definitely more stable than a new model.

/Heinz
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Heinz see if you can get a Beolab 11 instead of a discount. Financially it's probably the same, but having just spent a night listening to the Last night of the Proms trust me, you won't regret it. Perfect match.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

seheiste
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member
seheiste replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 11:00 AM
Tonker:

Heinz see if you can get a Beolab 11 instead of a discount. Financially it's probably the same, but having just spent a night listening to the Last night of the Proms trust me, you won't regret it. Perfect match. Beovision 10-46, Belab 11, Beosound 8, Beocom 2 and a shed load of A8's and Form 2's. Oh and a Beo4 and 6.

I would have tried to get one but I already have a BL 2 and BL 8000 as fronts. Back I use a passive link amplifier driving a pair of C40 from 1984.
Schlaumeier
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Bronze Member
seheiste:

I agree. Tomorrow I will order a BV10-40 to replace my BV3-32 which I bought when it was about to be discontinued. I got it for a good price, both hardware and software were of high quality. I have used this TV for over 8 years without a single problem. For the same reason I'll go for the BV10-40. It,s the most beautiful TV I've seen, fits perfectly into my link system, technically it's good enough (I don't need 3D), price is OK, and it's definitely more stable than a new model.

/Heinz

Yes, it is a wonderful tv. i've bought a new white 10-40 last month without caring about an upcoming new chassis (only rumours as well). no problems with software, picture or sound. just nice and good looking overall for now and (at least) the next ten years!

Beste Grüße / Best regards

Schlaumeier

Setup Livingroom: BeoVision 10-40 and 10-32, BeoLab 6000 front, BeoLab 4000 rear, BeoLab 11, Ouverture, Apple TV 2 & 4, Airport Express, 6 x LC2.

Other Rooms: 3 x BeoSound 8, BeoVision 8-26, MX 4002, 2 x Keyring, 2 x Beolit 15, A1, Airport Express, 4 x Beo4, 2 x Beocom 5

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

I don't like this new habit of B&O replacing products that are barely 5 years old with another new design: where is the timeless philosophy that saw products like BeoVox CX100 stay in the catalogue for 20 years, or the MX TV reach the age of 18? Even BeoLab 8000 is turning 20, and it makes me sad to see concepts like BV5 replaced by a BV9 (that could simply have become a BV5 Mk2), or even BV6 replaced by BV8, and now BV10..

Can't they simply fit the new V1 video engine inside all TVs? Without changing the whole product range? Look at the Avant, it went from curved screen and VHS to flat screen and DVD, and kept its name & looks..Sad

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 5:55 PM

100% agree with christophe.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:47 PM

Christophe :

I don't like this new habit of B&O replacing products that are barely 5 years old with another new design

I agree with this and, yes, it's confusing for two reasons:

1) Once you perfect the design, the primary interchangeable part should be the panel. If a laptop maker can build an entire PC within a laptop case, I'm sure B&O can re-design a future chassis upgrade, without having to redesign the case to accommodate. I agree that the BV10 is a great design and has 2-3 years, with panel upgrades etc, of life left.

2) Bringing out new designs means that it becomes MUCH harder to trade-in old TVs. No dealer will want a BV10, if it's replaced by a BV11 with a different design. It's not that the BV10 will look outdated, it's because it becomes harder for a dealer to keep older TVs on display and/or show potential customers how the older model compares in price against a current (BV10). Basically, if my 9 month BV10-46 is replaced this October with a BV11, the trade-in value will drop dramatically after a year of ownership. That will be unprecedented for me.

And the reason for mentioning this is simply that it's always been the core of buying B&O TV for me. Buy a B&O, keep it for about 2-3 years (where it should still be a current model), trade it in against a newer model. Newer model, after trade-in, costs about the same as a top-of-the-range Sony.

If they break this cycle, this will seriously affect how I perceive B&O TVs. For instance, say I try and trade that 1-year-old BV10-46 in, after only a year, and I receive a £3K offer and a new BV11-46 is £9000 in a year (I know we've speculated that the replacement BV10 will be cheaper, but we'll see...), I'll be stuffed. I know we shouldn't be guaranteed a trade-in, but it's always been like this for me, since 2003. Since 2003, I've traded in my B&O every 2-3 years, with success. Dealer gets a well looked after, mint, top-of-the-range current TV, I walk away after paying £2500-£3000, with an installed replacement, with much improved panel.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 11:54 PM
moxxey:

I agree with this and, yes, it's confusing for two reasons:

1) Once you perfect the design, the primary interchangeable part should be the panel. If a laptop maker can build an entire PC within a laptop case, I'm sure B&O can re-design a future chassis upgrade, without having to redesign the case to accommodate. I agree that the BV10 is a great design and has 2-3 years, with panel upgrades etc, of life left.

2) Bringing out new designs means that it becomes MUCH harder to trade-in old TVs. No dealer will want a BV10, if it's replaced by a BV11 with a different design. It's not that the BV10 will look outdated, it's because it becomes harder for a dealer to keep older TVs on display and/or show potential customers how the older model compares in price against a current (BV10). Basically, if my 9 month BV10-46 is replaced this October with a BV11, the trade-in value will drop dramatically after a year of ownership. That will be unprecedented for me.

And the reason for mentioning this is simply that it's always been the core of buying B&O TV for me. Buy a B&O, keep it for about 2-3 years (where it should still be a current model), trade it in against a newer model. Newer model, after trade-in, costs about the same as a top-of-the-range Sony.

If they break this cycle, this will seriously affect how I perceive B&O TVs. For instance, say I try and trade that 1-year-old BV10-46 in, after only a year, and I receive a £3K offer and a new BV11-46 is £9000 in a year (I know we've speculated that the replacement BV10 will be cheaper, but we'll see...), I'll be stuffed. I know we shouldn't be guaranteed a trade-in, but it's always been like this for me, since 2003. Since 2003, I've traded in my B&O every 2-3 years, with success. Dealer gets a well looked after, mint, top-of-the-range current TV, I walk away after paying £2500-£3000, with an installed replacement, with much improved panel.

This is one of the main reasons why I kept the bv740. the cost of upgrading the screen only is not too excessive much as I would like to upgrade to a bigger screen.
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I'm just going to enjoy mine, whilst keeping my head in the sand and fingers in ears.

Problem is that if a newer better sounding tv comes out, and I Inevitably ended going into what's for me a drug den of a local dealer ...

seheiste
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member
seheiste replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:02 PM
Schlaumeier:

Yes, it is a wonderful tv. i've bought a new white 10-40 last month without caring about an upcoming new chassis (only rumours as well). no problems with software, picture or sound. just nice and good looking overall for now and (at least) the next ten years! Beste Grüße / Best regards

Schlaumeier

Setup Livingroom: BeoVision 10-40, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, Ouverture, Apple TV, Airport Express, 5 x LC2.

Other Rooms: 3 x BeoSound 8, BeoVision 8-26, MX 8000, 2 x MX 4002, 2 x Keyring, Airport Express

On Friday I'll get my brand new BV 10-40. What an exciting weekend!
Schlaumeier
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Bronze Member
seheiste:

On Friday I'll get my brand new BV 10-40. What an exciting weekend!

Yes, yes, yes!!! Have fantastic days!

Schlaumeier

Setup Livingroom: BeoVision 10-40 and 10-32, BeoLab 6000 front, BeoLab 4000 rear, BeoLab 11, Ouverture, Apple TV 2 & 4, Airport Express, 6 x LC2.

Other Rooms: 3 x BeoSound 8, BeoVision 8-26, MX 4002, 2 x Keyring, 2 x Beolit 15, A1, Airport Express, 4 x Beo4, 2 x Beocom 5

oli
Top 500 Contributor
Southeast of France
Posts 141
Bronze Member
oli replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 11:22 AM

I don't know if BV10-40&46 will be discountinued or not, but its sounds like the BV10-32 would have an update with the V1 chassis, available in a few weeks.

There is an EMEA conference for dealers next week in Barcelona, we should have more news coming from them after that

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 4:06 PM

I don't see what's wrong with the BV10 as it is . Maybe upgrade the sw ?

It makes anything else on the market - including the loewe wannabees look stone age.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 4:36 PM

Flappo:

That's what I said above. Upgraded panel and sw and that's fine by me. I don't see why they need to change anything else. OLED and/or 4K might be coming, but there's nothing massively new or innovative that they need to implement, that requires a re-design.

Rikard
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 218
Bronze Member
Rikard replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 5:53 PM

As many other say, the BV 10 is a piece of art. Every time I walk upstairs where we have our BV10 I look at it and really enjoy it. It looks so perfect. I hope it will stay in production for many years. 

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
mawheele replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 7:49 PM

Flappo:

It makes anything else on the market - including the loewe wannabees look stone age.

Whilst I agree the external design still looks timeless, behind the screen - its really old! Essentially, the basis of the chassis and system are nearly 8-9 years old now. Modern TV's now feature multi-purpose operating systems - often Linux - that enable web connectivity and applications. Whilst these may not be any match for what is on your PC or iPad, soon this hardware will feature more elegant experiences and you'll soon be at a loss without them. Remember, the current BV software was designed to help you primarily adjust picture and sound. Todays TV hardware features hardware and software comparable with that in you smart phone or tablet.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 7:25 AM

mawheele:

Whilst I agree the external design still looks timeless, behind the screen - its really old! Essentially, the basis of the chassis and system are nearly 8-9 years old now. Modern TV's now feature multi-purpose operating systems - often Linux - that enable web connectivity and applications. Whilst these may not be any match for what is on your PC or iPad, soon this hardware will feature more elegant experiences and you'll soon be at a loss without them. 

If Apple can produce a virtual computer in the size of the Apple TV - or even the Mac Mini motherboard - I'm sure B&O could re-work the internals of the BV10, without requiring a redesign. That's Flappo's point and I agree. The BV10 is huge and relatively deep for a flat screen TV. There's plenty of room in there. You can redesign internals without having to redesign the exterior.

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
mawheele replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:05 AM

moxxey:
If Apple can produce a virtual computer in the size of the Apple TV - or even the Mac Mini motherboard - I'm sure B&O could re-work the internals of the BV10, without requiring a redesign. That's Flappo's point and I agree

No disagreement there at all. I'm sure the updated product will be in the same framework. But its much tougher for B&O. Companies like Apple and Sumsung are able to package so much better because they own the silicon or system on a chip. IMOP B&O does not have the engineering capability to do an Apple TV with the level of board integration - in fact I said it was commercially impossible for their volumes.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 4:45 PM

mawheele:

No disagreement there at all. I'm sure the updated product will be in the same framework. But its much tougher for B&O. Companies like Apple and Sumsung are able to package so much better because they own the silicon or system on a chip. IMOP B&O does not have the engineering capability to do an Apple TV with the level of board integration - in fact I said it was commercially impossible for their volumes.

No, but then most other TV manufacturers simply license this technology and there's no reason why B&O couldn't license something like the Chrome box (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebox.html) or a Linux-based motherboard. You don't need a powerful computer to run a Linux OS. There are plenty of options out there without having to re-design the BV10 to achieve it :)

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 6:32 PM

I've been told that the bv10 looks the same as the bv11, the only difference is v1 chassis and 3D and build in mediaplayer.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 9:51 PM

koning:

I've been told that the bv10 looks the same as the bv11, the only difference is v1 chassis and 3D and build in mediaplayer.

That would make perfect sense. They would not scrap the BV10 form factor.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 9:58 PM

Perhaps it will have the same kind of speaker system as the new flat speakers and BV12? I cant understand why anyone would buy the BV10 now on sale. It is such a huge investment anyway and it will be outdated in less than a month. But I think the design is gorgeous so I can understand it a bit. But anyway..

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 10:03 PM

My dealer is offering the ex demo BV10-40 for a tad over 4K   nice!!!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 10:05 PM

It's perfect!!!  Doesnt even need a built in media player - far better to opt for an Apple TV box with it!  Let Apple do the software there...

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 10:10 PM

Paul W:

It's perfect!!!  Doesnt even need a built in media player - far better to opt for an Apple TV box with it!  Let Apple do the software there...

:) But the hardware and software is a bit dated. I wish that they do work more on removing glare. I think both the BV7 and BV10 is extremely bad in light. Even with anti glare coating. Look at the iPhone, iPad and not the last - MacBook Pro retina. They have glued the screen to the glass on the iPhone and iPad. On the MacBook Pro Retina the complete glass cover is the actual screen glass. 

On the BV10/BV7 there is a huge space between the glossy screen and the glass panel. This causes many unnecessary reflections and the risk for dust or other things inside the screen space. They should work closer with the panel developer and make either a glued solution or a flat glas solution. It will make the TV thinner, lighter and it will take less energy to light the leds since it will not have to compensate for the light issues.  

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Schlaumeier
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Bronze Member
@ paul w: 100% agree - perfect combination! I love it!

Schlaumeier

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:59 PM

Thank Schiaumeler. :)  It just makes real sense to me - Apple TV is super AND Apple know what they are doing with the software and its truly stable! Let B&O make the TVs :) And at £99/99 dollars, it really is upgradable isn't it!!!

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:55 AM

C’mon, stay real now.. Huh?

I like Apple too, just like you. It’s that my ATV2 is jailbraked so I can play any video-format and run XBMC, but normally an Apple TV is far from perfect!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:06 AM

Michael:

:) But the hardware and software is a bit dated. I wish that they do work more on removing glare. I think both the BV7 and BV10 is extremely bad in light. Even with anti glare coating. Look at the iPhone, iPad and not the last - MacBook Pro retina.

My BV10 is no worse than this Retina MBP. I'm sitting in the same room as my BV10, on the rMBP right now. The window behind me - on a dull day - is clearly visible and distracting. Ok, it's better than the previous MBP (as the rMBP lacks glass), but it's still very present. The BV10 currently shares the same reflection and I'd say it's almost identical to the reflection on this rMBP.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I did see one of the manufacturers displaying a demo technology that literally removes all reflections. It might have been LG and after having a quick look I can't find it. The demo I saw was very impressive.

As cosmetically challenging I find the V1, the Matt plastic screen cover is far better at reducing reflections than the glass on my 10. I hope this is something B&O improve in the future.

Rikard
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 218
Bronze Member
Rikard replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 1:43 PM

With a glossy screen you will get reflection, yet people want a glossy screen, because of its looks. It looks more expensive or neat (I have trouble finding words here).. If you have a matt screen you dont get the same reflections, but the apearence is quite dull.. 

Regarding the built in systems of the smart TVs - it is a new technology - every manufacturer has its own standard.. (Like VHS & Beta or DVD & Laserdisc) There is no need in rushing into something new before there is a standard.. 

If B&O decides to put technology X (samsung smart tv for example)  into their TVs and after 3 years the technology Y (LG) is the standard everyone uses the NEW B&O tv are outdated directly.. 

For me I think it is better to have separate boxes, AppleTV, Mac, settop box on the side until the branch has decided for a standard.. 

I find it a little sad that I just (january) bought the BV10-46 (with old tech) for alot of money.. If I would have known there will be a new tv out later this year I would have waited for it..

Anyway I still think it looks great and the picture is really good! 

Page 3 of 4 (121 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS