Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What Are You Working On Now

This post has 1,308 Replies | 20 Followers

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 5:01 PM
Severian:

The JBL L100 was what I was thinking about, you could get orange, blue, or brown foam grills. I once had a pair of the Design Acoustics D12's, the dodecahedron shaped omnidirectional speakers in blonde wood with bright blue grills.

Jeff

Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000s, Beogram 3000 w/MMC2, CX50s, P30s, Beovox 3000s, Beocord 3300

Just checked them out, the color is excellent!

Beo4 'til I die!

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:17 AM

This thing I fetched today in the small town of Köping along the E18 motorway in central Sweden.  It is a Beogram 1500 with built-in amplifier. The turntable is a Beogram 1000 with needle that looks good, seen with the microscope but I cannot identify it when it is completely unmarked.

The hood is ok but quite scratched. Even the cabinet in jacaranda/redwood/palisander is nicely, if dry and in need of oil. The black plastic that frames the turntable has tough rest from something that was glued. Someone who can tell you wich pickup this is? Is it possible to use this turntable with a Beomaster, i.e. as if it were a turntable without a amplifier?

/***

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:48 AM

Nice piece.

Take off the cartridge and look underneath.
If it has no markings, it is not an original B&O but rather a cartridge from one of the many copycats and aftermarket producers of
which some were actually quite good (and others not quite so).

Martin

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member

Thank you, Martin.

There are no markings at all. I´ll guess it´s a aftermarket cartridge then. I will cleen it and try to get some music out of it together with a pair of Type M speakers.

By the way, Martin. Thank you for the refurbish kit. It arrived today!

/***

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member

/***

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Nov 8 2012 3:48 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member

Yes, they are blue but not as blue as in the picture. I love those speakers but the don´t sound as good as they look.

/***

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

tamtapir:
It is a Beogram 1500 with built-in amplifier.

This was our first B&O, bought in the first year of our marriage from B&O in the Camberwell area - but our speakers were small bookshelf models

BeoNut since '75

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 7:30 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:44 PM

Leslie:

Nice, very nice, especially the blue speaker cloth.. I have a pair like that but not so blueish. Must be the camera.

Not necessarily. Some of the earliest individuals of this first generation of pressure chamber speakers came
with a cloth that was much more grey'ish and a bit more course looking. Most often seen on Type B and M.
The earlier grey ones are usually still fine, whereas the later blue'ish ones tend to become so brittle and delicate you
can put your finger right through.

Martin

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:01 PM

Leslie:

Got a Beogram 5005 which has a dull and dirty platter!

Not anymore. Have been using bathroom cleaner and voila! Smile

Look at the dirt that comes off...

Boy, I hope that platter doesn't start to oxidize in the next few days.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:15 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:21 PM

Leslie:

No way, since I have done this many times and they still look shiny even after months or do you think this oxidizing process begins after a few months, half year? Forgot to tell that I 've been using a sort of spray furniture wax!

I had a bad experience with an RX2 platter once.  To be perfectly honest, I do not remember how I tried to clean it, but it has many white spots on it now.  My solution - put it in the attic and buy another one!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:27 PM

Most B&O platters are treated with a special coating from the factory.
It's here to protect the platter and to prevent static build-up by discharging the record.
It also makes the metal slightly skin-like to the touch (that is pleasant rather than cool - like the Beolink 1000 etc. remotes), but that is secondary here.
It also protects the aluminum from airs moisture etc.

Anyone who ever tried to clean one of these platters will know that the coating washes away quite easily and
nothing in this world can bring it back.

Leslie may have more luck than most people and indeed he has some craftsmanship but, I must admit, I doubt
his luck in this case.
The platter may end up completely shiny but that's not the original look (which may or may not disturb the owner)
but it's a definite sign that the protective coating has gone and with it its antistatic properties etc.

I would recommend you never clean the B&O platters. Dust it and leave it at that.
If you have a well defined stain on a platter - and really nothing to lose - try rubbing it using a finger with a
little spit on it. But be swift. Don't let it sit for many seconds, wipe off immediately or you will end up with a
shiny unprotected spot. Airs moisture etc. will eventually attack it and it will go more or less white from oxidation.
Never use any solvents, soaps or cleaners.

The same coating is found on the aluminum finish Beovox C30, C40, C75, CX50 and CX100 speakers
where the above also applies.

Martin

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:30 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:32 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:39 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:43 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:50 PM

Leslie:

Dillen:
I would recommend you never clean the B&O platters. Dust it and leave it at that.

who wants to look at a dirty fingerprinted platter and with stains. Won't buy that, looks horrible and really disturbs me.

Still, you bought 25 or more Beograms with dirty and stained platters ?
Where do you find those anyways ?

How many Beograms have I sold ? - Many!
How many with dirty platters ? - Zero!
How many with ruined antistatic coating ? - Zero!
- But I've thrown out many platters that were cleaned inadvertently by owners and replaced them.

It's your things. Do as you please with them, Leslie.
You are much too wise to listen to 35 years of experience, I accept that and I won't comment more on this subject.
Let's allow other readers to make up their own mind.

Martin

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 9:56 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 10:05 PM

Leslie, it's very clear that you can't accept that others disagree with you and you can't accept criticism.

Actually, I already decided once not to comment anymore on any of your posts, Leslie.
I did an exception today ONLY to warn other Beogram owners from cleaning their platters.
I've tried cleaning platters myself many years ago and came to the conclusion that they looked stunningly shiny at first but didn't last.
One fingerprint and it's gone.
I never came up with the thought of adding wax to a platter, though, and I dare not think how you did.
I won't add wax to mine, they are fine as per factory.

Wiseguy ?
No, I won't go there.
This will be my last reply to any of your posts, present or future. Hope this makes you happy.

Martin

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 10:12 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

MartinM
Not Ranked
New Zealand
Posts 20
Bronze Member
MartinM replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 12:22 AM

Deep breath guys. I enjoy readying the posts on this forum but not when it descends into this sort of stuff. Embarrassed

The Beograms I have, I've used a damp cloth to wipe the platter with and to date have not seen any ill effect from that. However, I have seen a few Beograms where the coating quite clearly has come off, possibly due to being cleaned with a solvent or immersed in water.

Opinion seems to be divided about cleaning the platter. To me, immersing it in soapy water or solvent may work but it does appear to have a risk of affecting the coating.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 12:25 AM

Gentlemen,

I have seen this before on other audio forums.  We can all be passionate about how things are done (like working on vintage audio equipment).  Whether readers agree with one method of doing a repair over another, the information that comes out of the opposing view discussions is quite useful.  Maybe everyone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.  In any case, I hope you both continue to contribute to this forum as I have enjoyed what you have shared.

Sonavor

MartinM
Not Ranked
New Zealand
Posts 20
Bronze Member
MartinM replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 12:36 AM

I agree. Differing opinions can be a good thing. You both provide a wealth of information to this forum and it would be a sad day if the forum lost you over something like this.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Lesley and Martin,

Please take one step back, and think clearly about this.  You are both too valuable to let opinions get in the way . And I should know - I have generated much controversy over the years about my own (fairly rigid) methods of restoration. 

Each of you (as do I) have a method, which works in our opinions.  Others may have an alternative method. None of us can return the product to EXACTLY factory-new specifications, for obvious reasons. But a product which looks as-new, and has as-new reliability is a damned-good solution.

Caveats which other members put out about certain methods, are not a condemnation of our own methods, but only a hint of what their experience has taught them. I am very happy to learn from others, and therefore improve my own techniques!

Many of us are sitting here with over 30 years experience in this business. There is little reason to lose our perspective because of another's opinions.

Menahem

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:10 AM

Another problem with the original coating is that it will gladly take a yellow tint in a smoker's environment...

Wouldn't it be nice to know the composition of B&O's coating agent? Any spies around?

Jacques

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:12 AM

chartz:

Another problem with the original coating is that it will gladly take a yellow tint in a smoker's environment...

Wouldn't it be nice to know the composition of B&O's coating agent? Any spies around?

Yes, that would indeed be nice to know. Laughing
Anyway, if the platter has been damaged already by nicotine discoloration or something else, I suppose there's really nothing to lose.
A replacement platter shouldn't be too difficult to find. These decks are still quite plentyful.

Martin

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dear Leslie

I have been following your threads for about 3 years now, we have had some interesting discussions and I have learned from your optical restorations.

You have always been an active and helpful member, but lately (last three month or so) your bragging about all the equipment you have, and how fast you can, optical, improve the look of the same, has been bothering me and maybe other members, your aggressive way of replying to post was bound to end this way.

Example: A member expresses a wish to own a Beocenter 9300, and up comes your replay, "you want one, I have 5Devil" , and not only 1 time, over and over about different items. Or: "Last Sunday I re clothed 5 sets of speakers" followed by a link to 20 pics without explanation.

On the old forum, and in the beginning of the this new forum you made some exceptional  threads, your replies was helpful and to the point, and it was possible to discuss and have a conversation with you.

This may be because you are trying to sell out of your hoarded equipment or it may have other reasons, but to attack a member, who has a life long experience with B&O, is an expert and dedicated collector of B&O vintage,  who just wants to make sure that other members, do not make the same failure as you do, does not belong here.

Kind regards, Søren

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:24 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Dillen:

chartz:

A replacement platter shouldn't be too difficult to find. These decks are still quite plentyful.

Martin

I never wash a platter,  to do so destroys the original coating, both it's appearance and it's properties.

If the platter is unsightly I will generally replace it before sale.

Regards Graham

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

I would very much like to know of a lasting solution for these aluminium platters.

Even though the parts may be plentiful, outrageous postal costs are making a big question mark in the equation of the financial ability to repair or replace.

A large item like a platter costs a small fortune to ship from Europe or the USA to Israel.

I recently bought a BeoGram in the USA for parts, and had it shipped to a friend in the USA to disassemble it, and mail it to me. I took all the parts except for the platter and chassis, which would have added about another $120 to the already high postal cost.

The more work I can do in-house, the more cost-effective it is all-round, and more attractive to a potential customer, not to mention more fun for me!

Menahem

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 10:04 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 11:15 AM

ablaumeise:

Orava:

Has anyone ever opened these motors? This one is a bit stiff, so in need of cleaning/lubricationing.

Yes, quite a few of them actually.

Disassembly is rather self-explanatory. Take care when lifting off the base plate (the second one - there's another casing beneath the first one) - either first lift it 5mm and disengage the brushes through the slit, or lift out the rotor together with the base plate. Clean the brushes &  commutator and lube both bearings, then it should be fine for another 20+ years.

I am also there now. Exactly the same motor but with a "clicking" sound when I turn on it, maybe 2-3 "clicks" per turn. The motor is dismantled this far:

How can I proceed without destroying anything? Do I have to loose soldered connection on the circuit board in the bottom of the motor ?

Is the "clicking" sound possible to fix or should I look for another motor ?

/***

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 12:21 PM

Maybe I should get on work too. I planned to open first a motor with "rrrrrrrrrrrr" sound, just for practice. To me it looks like you r have to desolder those two big pads on motor, but I might be worng....

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 12:41 PM

Yes but if the motor clicks when rotated it's most likely because the commutator has a deformation and that's not really fixable.
Go ahead, open it and take a look. You have nothing to lose.

Martin

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:12 PM

Dillen:

Yes but if the motor clicks when rotated it's most likely because the commutator has a deformation and that's not really fixable.
Go ahead, open it and take a look. You have nothing to lose.

Martin

... and so I did. The plastic frame, perhaps a sliding bearing, that partially encloses the magnet was defective and caused the “clicking” sound. I managed to get it all in one piece again but when I now start the Beogram, the disc plate spins with excessively high speeds – and, of course, the “clicking” sound is still there.

Someone who has a replacement motor for sale? It’s a Beogram 3000 (5901) and I live in Sweden.

/***

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:14 PM

Orava:

To me it looks like you have to desolder those two big pads on motor, but I might be worng....

You are right, Ekorre. Thanks,

/***

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 5:48 PM

tamtapir:

... and so I did. The plastic frame, perhaps a sliding bearing, that partially encloses the magnet was defective and caused the “clicking” sound. I managed to get it all in one piece again but when I now start the Beogram, the disc plate spins with excessively high speeds – and, of course, the “clicking” sound is still there.

Someone who has a replacement motor for sale? It’s a Beogram 3000 (5901) and I live in Sweden.

/***

You mean this?

I would say that disk is a part what sensor is... well, sensing on electronics board...

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Nov 15 2012 5:50 PM

And here is some pics (it did happen, really) from my motor.

And no violence? How do you then open these lugs?

Double shielded

Easy off with helping pliers from underside

Were it bent or did I do it?

Ok then. I may as well try to glue that plastic, and put it all back together. I just got a TX2, havent check it yet, maybe I could try this motor in it...?

Page 12 of 33 (1309 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS