Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

LCS9000 and Beolab 3500 differences

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

akapur
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
akapur Posted: Fri, Jul 13 2012 5:20 PM

Hi - 

New to this forum - and looking forward to being part of the community.

Need some guidance and hoping the community can help.  I have a Beosound 9000 + Beloab 6000 set up.  I also have a beolink set up in a different room with a set of speakers as well.

I want to set up a Beolab 3500 in the kitchen and I have been looking in the market to buy one.  I found a model for sale, but it is a LCS 9000 which is the older version.  Does anyone know what the major differences are between the two models and if the LCS9000 would work in my setup.

Thanks in advance.

KingOfSnake
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Bronze Member

Pretty sure the LCS9000 needed an upgrade for the ML socket to work, unless you use with an MCL converter of some sort.

My understanding has always been that the LCS9000 was MCL (Master Control Link) based which has a round pin, and that the ML module, although fitted, was not operational.

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog replied on Sat, Jul 14 2012 1:29 PM

Yes, you would potentially need a software update to turn it into a 3500. This involves a pretty simple procedure to replace the microcomputer module in the lcs9000. The part is available from B&O but check that the unit hasn't already been upgraded. The service manual explains how to get access to the engineering menus to find out what version the microcomputer actually is. I think the latest is v2.1 which supports Internet radio and music.

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,495
Founder

KingOfSnake:

Pretty sure the LCS9000 needed an upgrade for the ML socket to work, unless you use with an MCL converter of some sort.

My understanding has always been that the LCS9000 was MCL (Master Control Link) based which has a round pin, and that the ML module, although fitted, was not operational

The LCS9000 was released with version 1.1 software and the MCL port enabled. The Masterlink socket had a black cap over the socket which when removed could be used without a software update by switching it over using the following command:-

To get into the service menu to switch between ML & MCL press MENU then MENU then 0 then 2 then PLAY, then use the up arrow to switch, then store.

Regards Keith....

akapur
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
akapur replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 5:39 AM

Keith - 

I tried what you suggested and it didn't work. Could it be because I have a Beo4 remote instead of a Beolink 1000?

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,495
Founder

akapur:

Keith - 

I tried what you suggested and it didn't work. Could it be because I have a Beo4 remote instead of a Beolink 1000?

Yes, my instructions did assume a Beolink 1000, but you can still do it with a Beo4.

Regards Keith....

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,495
Founder

akapur:

I want to set up a Beolab 3500 in the kitchen and I have been looking in the market to buy one.  I found a model for sale, but it is a LCS 9000 which is the older version.  Does anyone know what the major differences are between the two models and if the LCS9000 would work in my setup.

When the LCS9000 was released it had version 1.1 software and at that time it was sold with the MCL (Master Control Link) enabled.

Subsequently, the LCS9000 was renamed as the Beolab 3500 with the ML (MasterLink) enabled, still with version 1.1 software. So from a functionality viewpoint that were and are exactly the same.

Some years later version 2.1 software was release which allowed the Beolab 3500 to display N.Music and N.Radio.

So, if you buy a LCS9000 today, it will work on a MasterLink network provided Masterlink is enabled as shown below..

Regards Keith....

mariuszf1
Not Ranked
Spain
Posts 12
Bronze Member

Hi Keith, just read this thread and wondering if the powerlink plug can be used for direct connection i.e. to use the BL 3500 as center  speaker connected directly to BS3. thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Mariusz

kelsan
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
kelsan replied on Mon, Mar 2 2020 3:13 PM

Hi,

Can you give instructions on how to change to Masterlink with Beo4?

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Tue, Mar 3 2020 3:56 AM
MENU 0 9 UP(above go button)

GO

Display should show ML ON.
kelsan
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
kelsan replied on Sat, Mar 7 2020 11:43 AM

Sorry, but it did not work.

I assume that it is a sequence of buttons or should they be pressed together?

Keld

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 145
Silver Member
dahiyas replied on Sun, Mar 8 2020 4:48 AM
Sequence of buttons.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS