Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 3 or 17, which sounds better

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

phult
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Bronze Member
phult Posted: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:54 PM

I have a smaller bedroom and have to choose between a set of Lab 3's or Lab 17's wall mounted and connected to an essence. 

I have a pair of lab 3's (with a Lab 2 as subwoofer) but have never heard a pair of 17's. 

If anyone has compared both which do you think sounds better? (I could potentially add a sub but it would have to be a small 17 as a lab 2 is too big and a lab 19 is too expensive.

Music listend to is pretty much all around, jazz, rock, popular, classical etc..

Any help from speaker aficionados much appreciated. 

Best

P

phult
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Bronze Member
phult replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:58 PM

PS 

The other thought I had was to use a pair of Beoplay S8 BUT I am not sure if it plays nicely with an essence as it is primarily marketed as TV speakers and doesn't seem to have power link in 

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:07 PM
phult:

I have a smaller bedroom and have to choose between a set of Lab 3's or Lab 17's wall mounted and connected to an essence.

I have a pair of lab 3's (with a Lab 2 as subwoofer) but have never heard a pair of 17's.

If anyone has compared both which do you think sounds better? (I could potentially add a sub but it would have to be a small 17 as a lab 2 is too big and a lab 19 is too expensive.

Music listend to is pretty much all around, jazz, rock, popular, classical etc..

Any help from speaker aficionados much appreciated.

Best

P

I have both

For wall mounting bl3 is much easier whereas 17 is heavy.

Personally 17 sound is more rounded but bl3 is great for a bedroom. 17 is a real hidden gem

I have 3 and 17 in different bedrooms and each to their own

Both are good all round music

Remember 17 is more future proof ie wisa

Price wise v similar

Good luck vince
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:13 PM
I had a pair of BL3s which I really enjoyed. Very punchy sound, good bass and the alt worked wonders for the treble. The only criticism I had was that they weren't so good in the mid-range which meant that classical music was a little lost.

The BL17s seem to me to be a very good all round speaker. Every time I hear them I'm really impressed at the clarity of sound they produce. I'm not sure they would need a sub in a small bedroom.

I really enjoyed my BL3s but if I was buying a pair of speakers as you are now I'd go for the BL17s. They are newer and support WISA of course. And they look great in black!

As ever its personal preferences as to what sounds "best".
Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 136
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:12 PM

I've owned them all. First of all, I'd take out the S8.  It's not nearly as good as either the 3s or 17s.

The 3s are excellent for their size. I would agree, lacking a little mids, but impressive sound. A little complicated to set up with all the wires. With the 2 sub, a complete system that gets loud.

The 17s are great on their own. Lots of bass (not nearly as much as the 2, but more than the 18s) and fill a room. Super simple setup with WISA. A little crisper highs. I have a pair currently.

All in all, sound wise, I think the 3/2 combo sounds best. The 17s will simplify your life and sound great. 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:38 PM

17's.  A vastly underrated and overlooked speaker.

The 3's are good, don't get me wrong - but if you've ever seen the size of the bass driver on the BeoLab 17 you'll understand just why they sound so punchy!!

WISA too.

As I said though, this is a comparison of excellent versus excellent and a bit more. You won't regret either.

Lee

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 12:08 AM

Austin:
The 17s are great on their own. Lots of bass (not nearly as much as the 2, but more than the 18s) and fill a room. Super simple setup with WISA. A little crisper highs. I have a pair currently.

Wow! So much love for the 17's. Good to hear... seems like B&O's "under the radar" speaker standout, sort of like the Beolab 4000s of their day.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS