Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoVision Horizon officially announced

rated by 0 users
This post has 75 Replies | 0 Followers

johnnielse
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
johnnielse Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2016 10:45 AM

Bang & Olufsen has announced BeoVision Horizon at IFA today. Prices in US, Euro, UK pounds in the article below.

Link: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1472632187

And B&O's official website:
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/collection/televisions/beovision-horizon 

nkbitsch
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
nkbitsch replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:14 AM

Very interesting! I was just looking for a press release this morning! Now it's time to read some more Cool

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
badgersurf replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:17 AM

The TV looks a lot better here than on the previous leaked ones, still want to see it in the flesh, but may be a replacement for my BV7-32

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:44 AM

badgersurf:

The TV looks a lot better here than on the previous leaked ones, still want to see it in the flesh, but may be a replacement for my BV7-32

Agree.

Not too struck on he stand though.

Showing power wires/ cables is a first!

Graham

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:50 AM
vikinger:

Agree.

Not too struck on he stand though.

Showing power wires/ cables is a first!

Graham

Same with beosound 2 pictures. Must be reacting to criticisms of "unrealistic" cableless promo pictures.
jvdl
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 129
Bronze Member
jvdl replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:52 AM

Horizon has Ultra HD resolution but not HDR (high dynamic range). It is equipped with 4 HDMI input, all of them HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. This ensures that you can connect any 4K player, including UHD Blu-ray. Inside both of the 40” and 48” models there is a LCD panel with direct LED. 3D is not supported.

If you want the Ultra HD experience you typically need to look beyond TV channels and focus your attention on discs or streaming. B&O has equipped Horizon with a hardware decoder chip for both HEVC and VP9, meaning that you can stream 4K content from Netflix, YouTube, and others.

Read more at http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1472632187#7Lza9jrOAgCP5JSH.99
badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
badgersurf replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:59 AM

If you connect a 4K player and play a HDR enabled disk or stream a HDR film will this still play on the TV? Sorry if this is a silly question!

PK
Not Ranked
Posts 82
Bronze Member
PK replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 12:02 PM

I like the new Horizon, the stands looked better than anticipated. HDR or not, for me it is not a big deal. Wireless surroundsound is more important. 

Wonder how it sounds? It has small speakers (in B&O measurements) with 2 x 2,5" fullrangedrivers.

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 396
Bronze Member
Looks jolly nice and I love all the stand options (except the wheels, seems you'd have to have a very specific look to your home for that to work (people generally don't have chairs with wheels on at home for example, but they do in the office). £2,500 isn't toooo bad for a high end 40" TV with integrated surround receiver and WISA including all the other niceties B&O comes with (device control etc.)

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

xegoon
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
xegoon replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 12:15 PM

I'm more into sound than picture. I've got a 22 years old BV MX4000 and I'm really glad about it. From the first day, it gives me just what I want. I updated my sound set-up, but the BV has been always the same. It turns on when I press the Beo4, it offers me the picture quality that i need, the sound is simply incredible and it looks really nice. And the motor stand goes fine since the first day. 

I like the BV concepts, and the BV10/11/14 concept is one of my favorites BV. But it offers me more than i need. 

And now, with the Horizon, B&O has simply broke my heart. Minimalistic, but absolutely atemporal. In the flesh is even better. I was afraid because I thought that I´d find an LG tv dragged in a B&O costume. But I was wrong, and I'm glad about that. Is a BV 100%: materials, versatility, picture and sound quality and magical touches, like the turn on/off led, hidden in the frame.

Wisa, 4K, BT, BeoRemote1 BT... And interesting stand solutions...

I'm seriously thinking about to move the MX to my bedroom...Stick out tongue

_BeoSound Essence / _BeoLab 3 + BeoLab 2 / _BeoVision 6-26" MKII (HDMI version) / _Form 2

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 1:04 PM

Superb design. I like it! Subtle and very elegant. Can somebody find the dimensions of the two models? The lack of HDR is a shame though, but we have discussed that. Now let's see the PQ.

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 1:50 PM

AV1 will 100% replace VP9 early 2017. This could be the reason why B&O has dropped the Netflix app from the BV14 as Netflix has agreed to use AV1. AV1 will also be used by YouTube.

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

Now it's getting VERY technical. I am sure 90% of the beoworld user are going to understand it...... ^^

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 2:12 PM

It does indeed sound confusing but it's not really.

This is a easy to understand explanation and kind of is good news.

As most of us agree, buy a box as it's easy and cheap to replace when needed rather than relying on the TV to do the work.

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/What-Is-.../What-is-AV1-111497.aspx

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 425
Bronze Member
markiedee replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 2:34 PM

I've seen the horizon in both sizes, definitely better looking in the flesh found the sound to be good although the louder it goes you do hear a reduction in volume and bass probably the speaker protection kicking in i presume.

Picture was good didn't blow me away but was good.

Beoplay A2

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 2:55 PM

Interesting Markledee but come on, in 2016, for the price, the picture needs to be excellent as does the sound. £3800 for the 48" is crazy money for a entry level B&O. Obviously, it's not aimed at the OLED crowd so who will buy it? I'm thinking maybe the rich senior citizen who 'just wants a nice TV'.  Currently the Panasonic 40" 4K HDR at £650 is getting voted as the best 40" TV on the market for picture so it's a shame that it maybe does not measure up to that.

In reality is this a Philips TV with B&O approved speakers and circuit board?

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:02 PM

Looks nice. Now just release a 60" for living room walls too. 48" is too small for a lot of people, even though it is on the "edge". I think it would look very nice on a wall in that size. 

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:13 PM

I really, really like the design of the Horizon, especially the circular-base floor stand. My wife would say that all of the right angles match my OCD-ness. lol It's beautiful and functional. A no frills, it-does-what-it-says-on-the-tin sort of design. Thumbs up!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:26 PM

I like the easel stand Sal. But Sal, it's the same price as my Cervelo S3. Which one would you prefer ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) 

OMG Michael how can 48" be too small for some people???

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:29 PM
Paul W:

The majority of TVs on sale in John Lewis are bigger than this. It's simply the way the world is these days.
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:43 PM

Paul W:
I like the easel stand Sal. But Sal, it's the same price as my Cervelo S3. Which one would you prefer ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) 

Oh I think you know my answer to that. Cervelo all the way, but perhaps because I already own a BeoVision.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:50 PM

So true Duels - everything is going obese! But then I see people watching Netflix on iPad Minis and laptops so maybe it's two fold.

Sal - super choice although I need a new tyre after last weeks accident. I agree though, the Horizon design looks very nice. Very much like my dark picture frames.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:53 PM
Paul W:

So true Duels - everything is going obese! But then I see people watching Netflix on iPad Minis and laptops so maybe it's two fold.

Fair point. A world of extremes.
Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

"Interesting Markledee but come on, in 2016, for the price, the picture needs to be excellent as does the sound. £3800 for the 48" is crazy money for a entry level B&O."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You pay for the complete additional ecosystem either. Beolink / BR ONE BT / Sourround possibilities / WISA / B&O Brand / so the prize would be generally ok, BUT... HDR?, motorized stand control?, I am in conflict: BV-H, BV14, waiting for the next BVs, Loewe Bild 7, LG E6, Samsung 9000 serie?

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:20 PM

So true Brigantines BUT I can understand a BV14 customer doing this BUT i'm not sure that the Horizon customer will add speakers etc etc. The way people are talking about it as a nice no frills design TV suggests to me that it will be bought as a TV simply to be watched and appreciated and thats it. In a way it reminds me of the BV6/22 I had way back. It just performed nicely on its own. Similar speaker layout to the new Horizon.

Duels have you bought a bicycle yet?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:21 PM
Brigantinus:

You pay for the complete additional ecosystem either. Beolink / BR ONE BT / Sourround possibilities / WISA / B&O Brand / so the prize would be generally ok, BUT... HDR?, motorized stand control?, I am in conflict: BV-H, BV14, waiting for the next BVs, Loewe Bild 7, LG E6, Samsung 9000 serie?

Hmmm. Loewe bild 7 will be £4,490 in 55 inch. Not bad for HDR OLED. And it has a soundbar that drops out the bottom of the screen. Motorised stands also available.
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:24 PM

Brigantinus have a look at them all! Take polaroids / iPhone pix. Print them out. Put them on your coffee table. Some you'll dismiss instantly. For the others, visit again, what is it that you look about each one? How would it look in your place? What would you be feeding it? EG Apple TV, Downloads, 1080p TV or Blu-Ray?

After that, follow your heart and go with the one that feels right. Only you can decide that :)

Martin
Not Ranked
Sweden, Skövde
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:31 PM

Just read that netflix has been removed in a software update on BV14 and the Horizon. It will be very hard today to sell a smart TV for 40kkr SEK that is not allowed netflix. Not a good start to keep B&O in sales. Huh?

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:32 PM
Paul W:

I like cinemas because the screen is amazing. The sound too. It captures you. It's nice for movies, I think. If I had the room I would build a home cinema. But a discrete big screen, nice too!

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:33 PM
Paul W:

So true Brigantines BUT I can understand a BV14 customer doing this BUT i'm not sure that the Horizon customer will add speakers etc etc. The way people are talking about it as a nice no frills design TV suggests to me that it will be bought as a TV simply to be watched and appreciated and thats it. In a way it reminds me of the BV6/22 I had way back. It just performed nicely on its own. Similar speaker layout to the new Horizon.

Duels have you bought a bicycle yet?

Paul. You're the second person to ask me that today. The other being a mega keen cyclist colleague at work who is keen I join the ranks of converted motorists. Not yet but I do intend to. (Don't worry I do keep pretty fit and hit the gym at least five times a week.) Slightly bizarrely I drive to the gym and then do 20-30 k on a bike that goes nowhere. Go figure.

As for the horizon buyer not adding speakers in not so sure. If you already have B&O speakers especially the wisa ones it's a doddle.
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Paul W:
This could be the reason why B&O has dropped the Netflix app from the BV14 as Netflix has agreed to use AV1. AV1 will also be used by YouTube.

Am I getting it right that with Horizon you need an extra external box to stream Netflix 4K content? 

Martin
Not Ranked
Sweden, Skövde
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:57 PM

AnalogPlanet:

Paul W:
This could be the reason why B&O has dropped the Netflix app from the BV14 as Netflix has agreed to use AV1. AV1 will also be used by YouTube.

Am I getting it right that with Horizon you need an extra external box to stream Netflix 4K content? 

What is missing in info is if you can use a android tv app for this, could be a work around.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 6:13 PM

I do like the circular stand edition. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 6:20 PM

Paul W:

Paul , you've chosen to borrow my bicycle price comparison but I was comparing a bike to an austentatious timepiece. A TV is a sharing thing most people own. 

The round stand is much better than the hostess trolley option. Apparently 48" is not big. For me it shows a sad commitment to TV viewing but each to their own. Perhaps they have a big room. I've been known to view Netflix on the IPad/A3 combo!

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

i personally would have liked to see a larger 60 inch TV, and then the horizon range would have been great.. it could be priced at 7200 euro/$11000 AUD and it would become the first mass produced B&O TV

stijndc
Not Ranked
Mechelen - Belgium
Posts 35
Bronze Member
stijndc replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 8:54 AM
Paul W:

In terms of dimension, the V1 40" has +/- the same height as the Horizon 48" ...
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

I wish I could find dimensions for the Horizon on different stands... Tried B&O site, User's guide but no luck so far. :/

Robert
Top 500 Contributor
Holland
Posts 204
Bronze Member
Robert replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 10:35 AM

Very COOL design

Two-way info is BACK on the new BeoRemote One Bluetooth

(my BeoLink 7000 is getting a bit shy)

Regards, Robert

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 10:41 AM

AnalogPlanet:

I wish I could find dimensions for the Horizon on different stands... Tried B&O site, User's guide but no luck so far. :/

See here: https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/Files/Product-Sheet/BeoVision-Horizon/PS_BeoVisionHorizon_A4_DA_print.pdf

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

Robert
Top 500 Contributor
Holland
Posts 204
Bronze Member

New BeoRemote One Bluetooth impression, from the web PDF

Page 1 of 2 (76 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS