Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Connecting Apple TV to beo vision 7-40 mk 4 Tv

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

42GG
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
42GG Posted: Sun, Sep 4 2016 10:04 PM

l'm new to B&O and spent all weekend trying to connect speakers and my previously used Apple TV box. I managed to connect the speakers but Apple TV is totally confusing me. I think I might have connected it but -  how do I access it ?? I don't even know I've registered it correctly. Which buttons on the beo 4 remote do I press ? Sorry for sounding so stupid - any assistance would be appreciated. thanks !!! George.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Are you connecting an ATV3? Assuming it is connected successfully using HDMI then it depends how the Beo 4 has been configured, but typically this would be as the PC option. In this case, press the LIST button twice on the Beo 4 (or until PC shows in the display) and then press the GO button. If the ATV is powered on the home page should now be displayed on your tv. You'll then need to configure it to your wireless network and computers and it should work fine. Also worth fine tuning some of the settings as the defaults may not be to your individual requirements. Any probs, let us know with more details. Cheers, Simon.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Sep 5 2016 1:53 AM

This seems natural to most of us, but if you're new to B&O you might not realize that you need to connect an IR blaster from the appropriate source of the BeoVision to the Apple TV -- sticking the end of the blaster or taping it to the IR receiving eye of the Apple TV.

It's likely that the BeoVision already has "Apple" loaded into its database. However, even if it hasn't, you can find a device that IS in the database and use the IR learning feature of the Apple TV to respond to any IR command.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

beojeff:

This seems natural to most of us, but if you're new to B&O you might not realize that you need to connect an IR blaster from the appropriate source of the BeoVision to the Apple TV -- sticking the end of the blaster or taping it to the IR receiving eye of the Apple TV.

It's likely that the BeoVision already has "Apple" loaded into its database. However, even if it hasn't, you can find a device that IS in the database and use the IR learning feature of the Apple TV to respond to any IR command.

Hi George,

This is what the "IR Blaster" looks like that beojeff mentioned, it connects to one of the C1-C4 sockets on the TV and sticks to the sensor on the Apple TV to control the Apple TV via infra red:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/televisions/59--ir-blaster-.html

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

Hello Steve

i have an old Beovision 7-32 with a DVI-I socket. I would like to connect an Apple TV. box. I’ve got a DVIi to HDMI connector but can get no picture, do you have any ideas. I was told when I bought it in 2007 that it was HD ready but I’m really not sure. How do I check that.? Thanks 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Yacht762,

Sorry but I don't have any involvement with the older non-HDMI TVs now, so this isn't something that I would be able to help with.  Maybe one of the other viewers can assist?

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Nov 5 2021 6:11 PM

Yacht762:

i have an old Beovision 7-32 with a DVI-I socket. I would like to connect an Apple TV. box. I’ve got a DVIi to HDMI connector but can get no picture, do you have any ideas. I was told when I bought it in 2007 that it was HD ready but I’m really not sure. How do I check that.? Thanks 

Sounds to me like an hdcp problem.  Have a read of my post in this thread: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/47367.aspx

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

Hi Guy. I’ve bought the ‘southsky’ qn41 hdmi video extractor, also bought a new hdmi/hdmi lead. I have connected it with an Amazon stick attached but absolutely nothing. Interestingly I did get a picture attaching my laptop directly. Are we sure this box strips the hdcp? 
any other suggestions?

cheers

Adrian 

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Tue, Nov 9 2021 8:10 PM

Hello gents,

I remember that when I connected an AppleTV to my BC6-26, I had to make a change in the 'customer service menu'. I checked that again: by going into the normal menu, and positioning the 'cursor' on the 'settings' options (do not press go), press the red arrow of the Beo4 and then GO. 

Then choose the 'Adjustments', then 'HDTV Adjustments' and at 'HDCP mode' choose 'HDMI'. This works with my AppleTV 4 and a cheap extractor.

As said the above is for a 6-26, but maybe you can check how your TV is set, or try one of the other settings for 'HDCP mode', like 'Disabled'.

Hope this helps!

Johan

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 10 2021 12:16 PM

Yacht762:
Hi Guy. I’ve bought the ‘southsky’ qn41 hdmi video extractor, also bought a new hdmi/hdmi lead. I have connected it with an Amazon stick attached but absolutely nothing. Interestingly I did get a picture attaching my laptop directly. Are we sure this box strips the hdcp? 
any other suggestions?

I am not sure where you are getting the 'qn41' model number from - this is the one I used: https://www.amazon.co.uk/aoeyoo%C2%AE-Analog-Converter-Digital-Extractor-White/dp/B00NAJ4UM2

The one that I have linked to definitely stripped the hdcp - because it used to work with my old non-HD-ready BV6-26.

However I have not tried it with an Amazon stick - only Apple TV4.  I find the ability of Apple TV to cycle through the video output settings very useful.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Nov 10 2021 12:21 PM

Johan:

Hello gents,

I remember that when I connected an AppleTV to my BC6-26, I had to make a change in the 'customer service menu'. I checked that again: by going into the normal menu, and positioning the 'cursor' on the 'settings' options (do not press go), press the red arrow of the Beo4 and then GO. 

Then choose the 'Adjustments', then 'HDTV Adjustments' and at 'HDCP mode' choose 'HDMI'. This works with my AppleTV 4 and a cheap extractor.

As said the above is for a 6-26, but maybe you can check how your TV is set, or try one of the other settings for 'HDCP mode', like 'Disabled'.

Hope this helps!

Johan

Many thanks for this Johan.  I have recently been having problems with my BC6-26 and never thought to check the Customer Menu options!  I am going to experiment with changing HDCP mode to 'hdmi' or 'disabled' (it's currently at DVI).  I'll report back.

@ Yacht762 - It's probably worth you checking the 'Customer Menu' on the 7-32 and experimenting with different settings too! 

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Wed, Nov 10 2021 6:02 PM

Thank you Guy, it’s definitely the one on your first link, but I’ll try again with an Apple box and try making the adjustments recommended by Johan. 

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Wed, Nov 10 2021 6:02 PM

Many Thanks, I’ll give that a try and report back. 

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 9:28 PM

Hello Guy

yes I bought the correct box and have now connected an Apple TV box which works well with an excellent picture although I don't seem to be able to get any sound, I've connected a lead from the Audio 'phone jack' on the HDMI audio converter to the digital audio input socket on the Beovision 7-32, I've added that socket to the connections option but still no sound. Do you have any tips on that?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 9:36 PM

Yacht762:

Hello Guy

yes I bought the correct box and have now connected an Apple TV box which works well with an excellent picture although I don't seem to be able to get any sound, I've connected a lead from the Audio 'phone jack' on the HDMI audio converter to the digital audio input socket on the Beovision 7-32, I've added that socket to the connections option but still no sound. Do you have any tips on that?

The audio output from the extractor is analogue hence should be connected to the BV7's PC sound sockets - Red and White phono/RCA connectors. (EDIT: Socket panel 2, to the right of the AV3 SCART connection) 

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Sat, Nov 20 2021 6:40 PM

Many thanks Guy. Still looking for that connection, my 7.32 is a mk1 so I think it may be something of an issue. Against AV4 the only audio  connections are the digital ones. So I need to see how to get round that. 
Adrian  

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Nov 20 2021 8:32 PM

I don't have a 7-32 but I am 99.9% sure that there is an analogue sound input of Left/Right Phono sockets.  Maybe look in the right hand side of the connection panel - you probably have to insert the connections sideways.

Perhaps someone else on the forum with a Mk1 7-32 could confirm the location???

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 8:45 PM

Guy, you are right, there are two connectors on a 9311 in the top right of the right hand socket bay. (Not my TV or photo though):

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 9:05 PM

Thanks Johan - they'll be the ones! Smile

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 9:22 PM

I’ve tried those but nothing, no idea how to select them so they are active with AV4 DVI to HDMI connection. Thanks for trying though Johan. I read something about requiring a tost link plus updated software?? It’s not proving to be easy! 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 9:28 PM

Selecting 'PC' on the remote should select that audio input together with the DVI video input.

What remote are you using?

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 9:40 PM

I’m using a Beo4 remote and selecting PC which in turn selects the AV4 port (DVI-I) but you can only allocate one of the digital audio ports in ‘connections’ as i said I have connected those two phono plugs to the HDMI - HDMI audio extractor. Great picture but no sound? 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 9:55 PM

In the connections menu, try setting the AV4 source to 'PC' and Audio Socket to 'none'

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 10:08 PM

Tried !! I’m going to have a word with my local B&O engineer and see if he’s got any ideas. Will report back if he comes up with anything. 
thanks Guy.
Adrian

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 10:08 PM

Tried !! I’m going to have a word with my local B&O engineer and see if he’s got any ideas. Will report back if he comes up with anything. 
thanks Guy.
Adrian

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Nov 21 2021 10:19 PM

Have you ever had any sound out of the TV?  From any source or connection?

Have you checked whether there is something (an adaptor) plugged into the headphone socket?

Maybe try connecting the extractor audio output to the quick access L/R phono sockets (same panel as headphone socket) and see if sound is output when you select CAMERA with Beo4.

Have you checked your 3.5mm to phono cable with another device/amplifier or with a continuity checker?

Yacht762
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Yacht762 replied on Mon, Nov 22 2021 9:48 AM

I'll give those tips a try, I dont think there is a headphone socket on the 7-32, can't see one anyway. I started by using a Sony box to get Youtube and BBC player but that was connected from phono on the box to Scart. Sadly the Sony box though still working well stopped supporting BBC player so it became redundant Ive found the R & L (red & White) plus the yellow video also there is Pr,Pb and Y connectors. I've ordered a new 3.5 to L R (W,R) cable as the other one I used was strange colours form my box of leads. fingers crossed. Im not really savvy enough to sort this but your help is great. Thanks

Adrian

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS