Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&O Royal Warrants

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger Posted: Sun, Feb 12 2017 12:33 PM

What is the history of the B&O royal warrant and the associated company logos?

I've just noticed that my circa 1970 BM1200 has a crown logo and "by appointment " text, whereas my BM 2000 of circa 1974 just has plain text saying Bang & Olufsen of Denmark. And when did this plain text get dropped in favour of the B&O logo that appears, for example, on the 1967-72  Beovox 2500 cubes?

Graham

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 320
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Sun, Feb 12 2017 12:54 PM
vikinger:

What is the history of the B&O royal warrant and the associated company logos?

I've just noticed that my circa 1970 BM1200 has a crown logo and "by appointment " text, whereas my BM 2000 of circa 1974 just has plain text saying Bang & Olufsen of Denmark. And when did this plain text get dropped in favour of the B&O logo that appears, for example, on the 1967-72 Beovox 2500 cubes?

Graham

Company name and logo have been used interchangeably almost since the beginning (usually uppercase only, but there was a period in the 80s and early 90s were both uppercase end lowercase letters we used in the name. I'm sure somebody with a historic reference book about B&O can enlighten us in far more detail.

My two cents about the crowned logo: I remember reading an article a few years back, according to which Bang and Olufsen became purveyors to the Royal Danish Court in the late 50s. They proudly used the Crown above the logo with the honorary warrant surrounding it in a circular fashion (or written horizontally) for many years on products large and small. I've even seen it on pickup cases no larger than 7 x 5 cm. As far as I recall, the crown was dropped in the 80s as part of a conscious design decision to focus on the brand and nothing but the brand.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

This Beosystem was sold to the Royal Family and later given to the Struer Museum. There are more in the exhibition. The beovirus seems to be endemic in the royal family ...

Peter the biker

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 12 2017 8:09 PM

Peter The Biker, can I ask you, where you found this photo?

Martin

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Feb 12 2017 9:46 PM

Dillen:

Peter The Biker, can I ask you, where you found this photo?

Martin

Martin,

The picture is in this long picture thread on a Rolex forum, posted by another Beoworlder about a Struer visit.

Strange place to post this stuff, but it gets B&O knowledge out beyond Beoworld!

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=235224

Graham

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

bayerische took a similar picture on the same BeoWorld trip as I did in 2012. Nice to see his photo collection on the Rolex forum.

Peter the biker

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Feb 13 2017 10:01 AM

Peter the Biker:

bayerische took a similar picture on the same BeoWorld trip as I did in 2012. Nice to see his photo collection on the Rolex forum.

Hi Peter,

Apologies if I mixed up two near identical photographs! 

Graham

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Feb 13 2017 10:28 AM

Krone 3 did not have a Beogram 1000, - that was Krone 2 (the "Tea-table") some years earlier.
The speakers were not of a different woodsort than the rest - and the ones here look more like Philips or ITT than B&O.

Many of the things in the Struer Museum B&O exhibition are replicas or empty cabinets with glued on buttons.
Not particularly well done and often far from correct looking.
Typically some of the more interesting and/or significant models - a shame, really.

Martin

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Krone 2 ...

With White-Key version of Beomaster 1000, Beogram 1000 and 2 speakers packed in the modular system called Byggemøbler Type H (if I am not wrong)

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS